Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a reply to another thread, but this seems like a worth thread all of it's own....

I have a 2015 GLA250 with multimedia and the whole COMAND system and navigation. In taking our first road trip in southern California this weekend, we were disappointed in the navigation versus Google Maps, and so wondering if there is any way to mirror my phone on the COMAND screen?

I was thinking maybe Chromecast or similar could be plugged into the USB port in the center console.

Any other ways to do this?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You mean that NO ONE even has a comment on this? Nothing, no hint at what I can do? Not even belittle me for asking?

·
Registered
197 Posts
You rat *******! Don't ever post questions to which no one has an answer again! :)

Seriously, I did answer you somewhat on the other thread. If you read the press stuff on MBs intentions it seems clear they will support android auto and they claim there will be a retrofit for at least some cars. This seems to be waiting on Google to give Mercedes some answers on the control of user data and limits on what applications and controls android auto gets in their cars, or at least that is my take reading between the lines. Getting it up there now through some trickery is a bit more sticky. This could be done with a lockpick setup although I have not yet seen one for this car. It is also possible that you can three way on the backup camera input and use an A/B switch to get your maps screen up there.

As an aside, if the number of viewers show browsing is correct this may be the most browsers I've ever seen not posting on a forum.

·
Registered
816 Posts
we were disappointed in the navigation versus Google Maps

Could you provide some insight as to your 'disappointment'?

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha Ha, Crabman! Funny, and thanks!

First, to my disappointment: If anyone has ever used Google maps with traffic you will see what I mean. In particular with regard to traffic, it is far superior to MB Nav. As well the Waze app for Google is another great resource that could be useful, like maps, but with real-time user updates on accidents, cops, etc. I would be fine if MB Nav was as good or nearly as good, but right now it is a disappointment. One more thing is the voice commands. On my daughter's $15 Kia Soul you just say "call home" and it dials. With MB, you say, "call number" or "call name", then a second step the car says "say name", then you say "home". It's a small thing but an annoyance.

Crabman, I forgot to look at the other thread, but will. I'm hopeful that MB and Google can work this out soon.

Reactions: firstdown80

·
Registered
77 Posts
$600 to mirror the phone?! YIKEYS! There was a pair of vendors who sell screen replacements that can mirror out of the box for less than that. The issue was glossy screen (high reflectivity) and no dimming based on ambient lighting. I keep asking around if that's changed - I'd love to buy one as I have the cheaper smaller screen anyhow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had Android Auto added to my COMAND menus today, works like a charm.
I have 2016 GLA250, took them plenty of time but it was only software upgrade.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice! Did you get it from the dealer? If so, did they charge for it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice! Did you get it from the dealer? If so, did they charge for it?
I'm looking for this myself and haven't been able to find 'Android Auto' in COMMAND - does it require a software update on the 2016's?

I would think they should have included it as I just got the car a week or so ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. I actually have an appointment with the dealer on Thursday and I'll ask then.

·
Registered
178 Posts
OK so far - no go on Android Auto in my 2016 GLA45. It has the Multi-Media package. Has the slots. Installed Android Auto on my Samsung Galaxy S7 (pretty new, in-market phone) from Verizon.

Went through initial minor setup on the phone - plugged into car - no-go (see photo).
Sorry for the flip, no idea why this site does that. Annoying.

Looking at Mercedes-Benz mobile site, either phone isn't supported yet (and I already have Android Auto capability in COMMAND):
http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/gb/en/x156:2015-06:2016-05/compare/~androidauto

OR - don't have Android Auto in the car. Seems like could be both, hard to say. To be fair they do not yet list the Galaxy S7 - but they do list the Galaxy S7 Edge. I would think both would work but who knows.

Also appears Android Auto thinks this phone/car combo isn't supported yet:
https://www.android.com/auto/mercedes-benz/

Definitely interested to hear what the Dealers say, calling mine as well. I'd really like this to work, it should, for this expensive a car!

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well I typed up a long detailed post and *poof* gone - Admin hasn't responded to a PM so here goes again.

My GLA45 is manufactured 10/15 - does NOT have Android Auto. Doesn't recognize my Samsung Galaxy S7 as a compatible device.

Found this: http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/gb/en/x156:2015-06:2016-05/compare/~androidauto

Which hints it might work with certain phones - but, I'd think if a Galaxy S7 Edge worked - so would a regular S7.

And this: https://www.android.com/auto/mercedes-benz/

Says only 2017, and GLA not listed :(

Contacted my dealer and the local Expert says:
she said it isn’t available for the vehicle unless a 17’ model. I then asked if there was an update for the 15’ or 16’ models and she stated not at this point.

Posted on the AMG Private Lounge - no response yet.

Here's hoping a software update comes some time in the near future - would REALLY like this to work. Media Package is $$$$ - would be a real bummer to not have this work ever, I am NOT getting an iCult device.

Reactions: Right_mr

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Canuck, hoping you see this - called MB-USA customer care and they say no-go too :(. No "retrofit" for 2016 GLA45 to add Android Auto to COMAND -

She wasn't aware of any software update available from the Dealer, but did acknowledge COMAND can be updated.

I'm very interested to know any details you can share - technical bulletin IDs, part numbers, anything.

Reactions: rayman

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't know if anyone is still interested in this, but I took my car in on Thursday for some rattles and asked about the Android Auto update. The tech stated he didn't know about it but would check. Got a call today and the car is ready and the guy said that they did the Android Auto update! When I go to pick it up I'll let y'all know what if I actually have it.

Reactions: cemeek

·
Registered
28 Posts
BTW this is on the 2016 GLA 250 with Multimedia Package

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
When was your GLA built, mouth, year?
Not who you asked - but mine is 10/2015 on a 2016 GLA45 . . . I'm most interested to know about this software update MB USA says does not exist :nerd:

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hmm. How do I find this out? Window sticker?
It's on the sticker on the driver's door jam.
It shows the country where the majority of parts were from and the build date.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts