Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GLA 250 (2017) with about $40k miles. I am the second owner. Vehicle is certified until Nov 2021. Amp started making loud crackling and static noises a few months ago. Took to MB dealer to diagnose. They said amp had water stains and had gotten wet. Warranty will not cover. I'm shopping OEM parts for a used one since MB was going to charge $1500. My questions...does anyone have any experience replacing just the factory amp? Is it a simple plug and play or require factory programming, rewiring, etc.? Any suggestions where to get the part and knowledge about installation would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
128 Posts
CPO car shouldnt have a water damaged amp.. did you by chance have any spills/mishaps since you’ve owned it, or are you in the boat of I bought my CPO car that I thought would be more or less worry free and then blindsided by the info of your water damaged amp?

Also unless they gave you solid proof it was water damaged maybe try another local dealer to see if they’ll fix it under CPO... warranty is good from any dealer and since they’re privately owned and operated you’ll find different experiences dealer to dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's difficult to say how the water intrusion happened. I know nothing spilled back there since I've owned it. It's been pretty much sitting in the garage thanks to the pandemic and me now working remote. I didn't know the amp was in the floorboard of the trunk. Perhaps, the water got in from wet towels or something last summer from boating? That's all I can think of. I was told everything would be covered worry free which definitely influenced my purchase decision, but should have known better that there was fine print to read. The dealer wouldn't give me the full warranty language when I asked so I couldn't review it. I need to pursue that further. I wasn't sure if I could go to another dealer now. The documentation of the first diagnosis is already in the service system which I'm sure is accessible to all dealerships. At this point, I just want to prepare for the worst, if another dealer rejects the claim also, and come up with a plan for replacing it without going through MB. I know I can get it done for less than $1500 once I get the right part. This is all very frustrating to say the least. I'm losing my mind without radio, blue tooth, etc. Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The amp is easy to disconnect and even remove.
Once the amp is out, flip it and read the part number.
then you can start to look for it.
I don’t think it will need to be reprogrammed, but I would call a junkyard and if you can drive to it, they may let you try it. Plug the two plugs and see what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got mine off Ebay for $125 and spent 5 minutes unplugging the old one and replacing it with the new one. My dealership diagnosed it and gave me a $1500 estimate too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a GLA 250 (2017) with about $40k miles. I am the second owner. Vehicle is certified until Nov 2021. Amp started making loud crackling and static noises a few months ago. Took to MB dealer to diagnose. They said amp had water stains and had gotten wet. Warranty will not cover. I'm shopping OEM parts for a used one since MB was going to charge $1500. My questions...does anyone have any experience replacing just the factory amp? Is it a simple plug and play or require factory programming, rewiring, etc.? Any suggestions where to get the part and knowledge about installation would be greatly appreciated!
I got mine off Ebay for $125 and spent 5 minutes unplugging the old one and replacing it with the new one. My dealership diagnosed it and gave me a $1500 estimate too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too bought one off eBay for $125 and spent 15 minutes installing it. Dealer will tell you a reprogram is necessary but I didn't need one. BTW sold the old one as damaged for $35.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts