Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year in the UK a record 3,127 AMG cars were registered – up 40 per cent from 2012. Keep in mind that was also minus the CLA and GLA 45. Shortly the GLK AMG will be coming out and I suspect the record will continue to be shattered... EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Car industry is polarizing. Super expensive and super down market cars are the ones that sell best. Expect luxury and super cars to continue to sell well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car industry is polarizing. Super expensive and super down market cars are the ones that sell best. Expect luxury and super cars to continue to sell well.
yes, to a degree. CLA and GLA are realistically in the mush middle though, they are not at the low end of the spectrum nor the pointy end (in perspective of the entire industry), perhaps there is an argument to be made that they are the pointy end of the segment.

Regardless, the point I'm trying to make is that an upmarket brand which begins to produce downmarket products enjoys a favourable branding advantage over the incumbents in segment. Its an aspiration product you no longer have to aspire to.

How long the advantage lasts is up for debate...

·
Registered
694 Posts
yes, to a degree. CLA and GLA are realistically in the mush middle though, they are not at the low end of the spectrum nor the pointy end (in perspective of the entire industry), perhaps there is an argument to be made that they are the pointy end of the segment.

Regardless, the point I'm trying to make is that an upmarket brand which begins to produce downmarket products enjoys a favourable branding advantage over the incumbents in segment. Its an aspiration product you no longer have to aspire to.

How long the advantage lasts is up for debate...
This is so true, turn those tables around starting with a downmarket brand going up and that can be risky but also a true success, still better the other way.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I also think that it is easier for an upmarket brand to make a downmarket product than a downmarket brand to make a upmarket vehicle. That means that luxury brands have the advantage in the middle part of the market.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I almost think that no company has the advantage in the middle of the market. Economy brands make cars that are more expensive than their customers really want. Luxury brands make cars that are too cheap for their customers, and then there are brands like Buick that just stick to the middle market altogether. This has only recently become a trend though, so it will be interesting to which brands and models come out on top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts