Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day from Toronto, Canada!

Just received my AMG front grille ordered via E-Bay from Germany, very helpful lady (Eve) of EVOKT.

Would any of you be able to walk-me thru on how to take out the front grille of my GLA250, and install the AMG grille. Am avoiding the dealership to minimize on cost because there will be many more days/times that I will be surely spending $ on my new baby.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would first recommend opening the hood and visually investigating where the fasteners are. It really should not be too strenuous provided you have the appropriate tools!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
If you aren't feeling comfortable with doing it yourself, take it to an independent euro shop. They won't gouge you the way the Stealership will.

It's quite possible you might have to un-button the front bumper. (Many european cars I've owned have been this way unfortunately)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ever so much for your prompt replies! Will go the independent shop way as I was (independently) told that the bumper has to be removed and with the Stealership, it will be a real fortune! I promise will show you pics once done...just waiting for the mini screws of the AMG small badge/logo ordered a few days ago, will tell you more once I receive the mini screws.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks ever so much for your prompt replies! Will go the independent shop way as I was (independently) told that the bumper has to be removed and with the Stealership, it will be a real fortune! I promise will show you pics once done...just waiting for the mini screws of the AMG small badge/logo ordered a few days ago, will tell you more once I receive the mini screws.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Please keep us posted on the install and take lots of pictures!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went with the main dealer option £150.00 and EUR 245.00 for the grille MINUS AMG badge of course.
The front bumper needs to come off. The thought of messing with the parking sensors, headlamp wash etc... was too much hassle.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, NTT. As you may have noticed, I have uploaded the pics of the installed AMG front grille, it's a bit cold here in Toronto, Canada, so I took the pics quickly.

My baby underwent her surgery late last week via a local body repair shop that I've been working with for the past 7 or 8 yrs now (in short, trusted and worthwhile). Paid CAN$170 in cash and here are my notes while I watched two (2) body repair experts worked on my baby:

- Take off silver screws under bumper (7 in total)
‎- Take off 5 black screws on top
- Take off black plastic clips (looks like screws but are NOT) underneath fender ‎(3 big ones) and two small black ones
- ‎pull/bend underneath fender to unscrew (tool used has a lot of extension adapters) 2 screws, one of the guys started grilling into the plastic behind fender to separate plastic cover of fender
- they use a heat dryer occasionally to prevent breaking/cracking due to our lovely - 27 (with windchill) Celsius temp, yes, you read it right: negative twenty-seven!
‎- unclip the plastic of the fender and the lower part of the bumper gently
- bumper is now off
- unplug signal light connections
- unclip front sensor from ‎bumper
At this point, the owner of the body repair shop told me to back off and leave the premises because his guys felt my presence was too close for comfort (even if they've known me for a while)
- from a distance, they unclip the star logo (took them about 15 mins) using a heat dryer regularly to prevent cracking
‎- from here, reverse steps to put back bumper

Yes, it was painful to watch, but what to do!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More pics of the front grille/bumper removal

Here are the remaining pics, hope you find them helpful...

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Whitehorse. You are brave. I doubt if I could watch. I'm sure your write up will help some brave person. The front end look better with the AMG grille.

·
Registered
694 Posts
brave indeed!
i broke way too many clips in my time to want to go through a process like this without some sort of guide to go off of.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 250 grill is looking pretty good right now. I don't think I could watch the pros do it, much less think about doing it myself.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Man I do really love that grill. I have been toying with the idea of buying one and installing it. I'll need to do more reading up on the removal process as I've busted some clips in the past and it was a pain to drive around with some loose parts until I could get new clips ordered and installed...Still that does look really nice.

Great job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Whitehorse, i write from Barcelona, I'm waiting a new GLA 250 4Matic and I like the AMG grill too. Can you say me the part number OEM ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is a bit nerve racking to take apart the grille without knowing what to do first, but good for you. It looks great in the end too. You should consider making a youtube video to show people how you did it. I'm sure people would appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Whitehorse, but I need the OEM prt number, I have a garage and buy directly from Mercedes with professional discount.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Thanks Whitehorse, but I need the OEM prt number, I have a garage and buy directly from Mercedes with professional discount.
Now you have to order one for the rest of us! :D lol

Getting a little existential.. is the stock GLA250 grill actually more-attractive? Am I drawn to the 45-grill because it is on the AMG?

Hierarchical influence, or is a single blade actually better than 2? :nerd:

I'm thinking I might get beter engine cooling with the more-narrow accoutrement

1 - 20 of 38 Posts