Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to AMG but excited after driving the GLA45 AMG. I'm now a doing a 2017 build. Was wondering if anyone has they AMG Dynamic Plus Package? According to the build guide this option includes:

AMG Ride control Sport Suspension w/2 Stage Electronic Adjustment
Top Speed to 167
"Race"Mode with Reprofiled Steering, suspension, and transmission calibration
AMG limited slip

Curious if the 2 stage suspension is good or not. In my experience the soft is usually too soft and the sport is too stiff but curious how it is for street if you like to push it once in awhile.

Also how is Race mode? Is the steering noticeably stiffer than Sport +? What do you notice different about transmission calibration?

I think I'm going to want to put lowering springs and I'm even wondering if you can with this 2 stage electronic adjustment.

Does this option make it sit lower than normal? Thanks in advance!

2011 GT3 Cup (last 2 year national championship car)
2011 GT3 RS
1998 993 Cup
1998 Carrera 2S
1971 911T

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Crickets? Really?

I ordered the suspension ala carte for Pam's car. The delta for the complete package with LSD and race mode etc is $2K. I'm debating if I'll be kicking myself. With the order going yellow yesterday it's just a matter of time until it is locked at red.

My mantra is ... It's Pam's car, not mine ... but it's tough not spending the extra cash!!!

The 45 won't see the track. We keep our cars a long time so resale isn't a worry. But on that basis, the $2K amortizes nicely.

New mantra ... It's a great ride as is ...

Good luck with your decision.

BTW, that's a nice listing of cars!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have yet to get any real reviews from 2016 owners on the 2 stage suspension. If you are planning on lowering it you might as well go with the "normal" suspension and put some kwv3 . That way you dont have to retrofit suspension parts and worry about check engine lights and so on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. Wayne I'm going to be doing the Euro delivery too! Really excited. I think we will go to the Mercedes museum of course, Porsche Factory/Museum, Nurburgring!, and I'll be trying to visit Tolimit Motorsports since they raced my 993 Cup back in the day. Very excited. I decided to order this package. In the MY17 Dealer order guide it does say you get revised Transmission/steering programing too in Race Mode. For what you get the option is pretty cool.

There some nice new interior options for 17 as well. More alcantara (dash and full steering wheel). I'm shocked that Merc isn't marketing the GLA45 AMG more to the Porsche market. To me, with as much track/racing that I do, this vehicle is the car I always had hoped Porsche would make. As a daily driver it's about perfect.

2011 GT3 RS
1998 993 Cup
1998 Carrera 2S
1971 911T

Reactions: WhiteRabbit

·
Registered
880 Posts
It really is a great daily, carries much more than my previous e90, better gas mileage too (if I stay off the gas).

I personally don't like the Alcantara wheel, difficult to keep clean with oils and sweat, the dash when I see it in person, if I fall in love, I can just order the part

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Alcantara may be an acquired taste. For me, it is really comfortable. But I avoid it always, because I hate it as it ages. Pam is the same. If we leased our vehicles, or traded in frequently, or didn't mind replacing the steering wheel every couple of years, I suspect we would be all in on it! There isn't a right or wrong here. Pam likes the 12 o'clock line but not enough to go to Alcantara.

I am attaching my "final" build sheets to share what is on the list of the Standard Accessories. The power / memory steering column is hopefully as stated.

I continue to struggle with the Dynamic Package. Pam looks at the bottom line and says "You want to pay another $2K for what?!?!?" I know it is not something she would use or appreciate. But this isn't something you get to add on later ...

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm really struggling with my dealer to answer specifics about the AMG Dynamic Package. I'd really like to know what specifically the 2 stages are in the suspension and how they compare to the stock one. Also does the steering give more feedback in race mode and is the tranny shifting even faster that sport + mode.

I've also seen on AMG's website a "personalization" option which says you can paint the car any color you want for a fee. Not sure if this is available for US specs or not. Nobody is knowledgable about these specifics.

Anyone have a dealer that's very in the know about AMG and the specifics?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
As you know, Porsche has the PTS (Paint To Sample) option. MB does have the same for their more expensive cars, but this is not offered on the A Class. Pam wanted Northern Lights Violet and took a risk that it would be the discontinued color in the model year change. She lost, but seems happy (perhaps more confident) with Night Black. I pushed for the $3500 up-charge for special paint to no avail.

Nobody seems to know about the dual selectable suspension. Pam prefers PASM on in my 997.2 so I wanted her to have the option on her car. It was an $850 ala carte add on. I don't know when your order locks, but I can post my thoughts after I get some driving time in.

Like you, I will hit the Porsche Museum after MB, so the first driving will be September 2. The first week will be north to west to south for the break-in. This is mostly straight stuff. After that we will get to roads that will give us a better idea.

From what I have read on various reports, RACE Mode shifts harder, but the reports have been veiled with Race Start and I don't trust their accuracy. I don't see any changes to the steering ratio or turn in response between modes. I don't see this option as critical. On most tracks in the USA I don't see 155 as a limiting factor (vs 167) either. And this would not be the car I take to the track anyway!

The real question is the LSD. This is not an ala carte option. But, for me, I'm struggling with it being worth an extra $1950.

·
Registered
880 Posts
My suggestion would be to test drive a similar 16 gla45 or cla45 on the lot, to test the two stage suspension.

As far as the "race" function, I haven't notice steering wheel feel change with comfort to sport and sport +. Maybe that will change in 17. To my understanding there is no 'race' engine setting, sport + is as high as it goes, even in race mode.

Also yes there is a "i" individual setting, the only performance advantage I can see over sport+ is that I can set the traction to sport. Individual is not as customized as one would like. You can't have the engine in sport+ and have start/stop on. A lot of things are interconnected.

Race setting probably do a similar thing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I test drove 2016 45's both with and without the suspension option back to back. I use the softer option most of the time when driving around town and the stiffer setting on the highway/higher speeds.

I haven't noticed much difference between the race and sport+ settings.

Hope this helps but the true test is to drive both versions back to back as others have said.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Curious if the 2 stage suspension is good or not. In my experience the soft is usually too soft and the sport is too stiff but curious how it is for street if you like to push it once in awhile.

Soft is not too soft but it perfect for daily driving

Also how is Race mode? Is the steering noticeably stiffer than Sport +? What do you notice different about transmission calibration?

Race mode shifting point is more aggressive. I don't feel different in steering stiffness.

I think I'm going to want to put lowering springs and I'm even wondering if you can with this 2 stage electronic adjustment.

I don't think it will effect the damper if you only change the spring.

Does this option make it sit lower than normal?

Same ride height regardless of setting

I was with PCA in NJMP thunderbolt with the GLA45. Great car for the size and height. You will not regard it. Only thing is the brake get soft when it get heat up but that track day temp was at upper 90s.

https://youtu.be/B9KQtNS5rSA

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Thanks for the video share. Very impressive. The still shot looks like you were close to lifting the inside wheels. The car appears to be better balanced front to back than I would have expected. Well done!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DDSHEEP, thanks for the insights. I'm really looking forward to getting this car. It's all spec'd out. Doing the delivery in Germany in October. Going to attend the Hockenheim DTM race while out there. My racing season picks up again next month and I can't wait. Hard to be sitting out for a few months. Cool to see the following behind these cars. FYI, I read in auto guide that 2018 euro models will have over 400hp to keep pace with RS2 in europe. I'd expect the 2019 US models to follow suit. It's crazy to see the hp wars going on.

2011 GT3 RS Mexico Blue
1998 993 Cup
1998 Carrera 2S
1971 911T
2017 AMG GLA45

Reactions: rallarmange

·
Registered
178 Posts
Alcantara may be an acquired taste. For me, it is really comfortable. But I avoid it always, because I hate it as it ages. Pam is the same. If we leased our vehicles, or traded in frequently, or didn't mind replacing the steering wheel every couple of years, I suspect we would be all in on it! There isn't a right or wrong here. Pam likes the 12 o'clock line but not enough to go to Alcantara.
Help out a n00b here, when you say Alcantara - is that what is on the AMG Sport steering wheel? If I order the interior package (leather) and add Sport Steering Wheel is that what comes on it?

We love us some MB-Tex from the family truckster (2016 GL350) - it is bomb proof, comfortable, and I bet ages better than leather . . .

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Alcantara is a mix between felt and velvet. Very upscale and popular with some. Even with fingertip control I tend to wear it out on steering wheels. It's great as a roof liner IMHO. The stock 45 wheel is leather. The Sport Wheel is Alcantara. It's a personal decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My question is would Race Mode be an option on the ride select nob without the AMG Dynamic Plus Package? I am trying to purchase one that has it but I don't know if it's a miss match or if it is an accurate feature in the car. Help?

Soft is not too soft but it perfect for daily driving

Race mode shifting point is more aggressive. I don't feel different in steering stiffness.

I don't think it will effect the damper if you only change the spring.

Does this option make it sit lower than normal?

Same ride height regardless of setting

I was with PCA in NJMP thunderbolt with the GLA45. Great car for the size and height. You will not regard it. Only thing is the brake get soft when it get heat up but that track day temp was at upper 90s.

https://youtu.be/B9KQtNS5rSA

·
Registered
880 Posts
My question is would Race Mode be an option on the ride select nob without the AMG Dynamic Plus Package? I am trying to purchase one that has it but I don't know if it's a miss match or if it is an accurate feature in the car. Help?
IN THE US
-race mode
-front limited diff

Are NOT a la cart options, you must buy the Dynamic Plus

Without it only I,C,S,S+

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rayman, Can you comment on the difference in ride of the two GLA45s you tested; the one with the standard "one-setting" suspension, and the other two-setting suspension that was part of the Dynamic Plus suspension. Which had the softer ride; the standard suspension or the adjustable one set on it's softest setting?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts as I am trying to decide which way to go...and I live where it is impossible to test drive them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
IN THE US
-race mode
-front limited diff

Are NOT a la cart options, you must buy the Dynamic Plus

Without it only I,C,S,S+
Well, I have Race mode in my 2017 GLA and I just have the sport exhaust and the 2 stage suspension...
I don't have the full dynamic package...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts