Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering a GLA from Mercedes-Benz Minnetonka Minnesota. They are telling me that there is $0 discount for the GLA and that everyone must pay retail. Is this complete BS? Also what kind of "documentation fee" can I expect to pay?

GLA 250
Polar Silver
Backup cam
Xenon lights
heated seats
19" wheels
panoramic roof
light-up star
MSRP: $40k

·
Registered
817 Posts
There are many examples on this forum where folks have purchased a GLA at a discount. I ordered my GLA45 in November (now is going to be built 2nd week March) and I negotiated a nice discount from the dealership. If your dealership does not agree to a purchase price less than MSRP, I would suggest you look elsewhere. Do not expect a huge discount (such as advertised for many domestic cars) but a fair discount.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response!

What type of discount should I expect? I've purchased a few new cars in the recent past at a MSRP of around $30k and, on average, I've seen a $2500 discount from MSRP. Is it foolish to assume that I could see the same on a $40k vehicle?
I do not have a trade-in (I've never given my used vehicles away to the dealer).

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would first get the total 'out the door price' (MSRP+T/T+doc fees+taxes…everything) just so you know what your real purchase is going to cost you. Then negotiate a $750-$1000 (~2.5%) discount off of MSRP and that is fair. Also, so called dealer documentation fees (doc fees) are a add on for increased margins and the dealer will say 'fee is what it is' but you can hammer them down a bit on that one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
From my understanding (just ordered one myself and happen to know people at 3 dealerships here in Maryland), the profit margin in total is about 8-10% of the MSRP on the GLA -depending on how much volume the dealership does. There are currently no dealer incentives for February.

I paid 9.25% off MSRP for mine - no dealer fees - and it was factory ordered. Granted, we're very close to the port of Baltimore compared to MN.

Looking at MB's site, you have 3 other dealers in MN. Email all 3 of their internet sales departments and get a quote. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get a good discount from at least 1.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You should shop around, but I think that dealers don't like to give discounts on the GLA since it is brand new and pretty popular. Check some other deals to see if they are more willing to negotiate, but I wouldn't expect much of a discount generally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the idea.

I just emailed the other dealers. Already, was given a price $1600 below MSRP. Gets even better...adding the AMG option $2060 and they will take $2600 off.

Yeah, Minnetonka was trying to screw me over. I'll give them the option to match the price, or I'll just walk. They can sell the vehicle I ordered to me for the discount price or it can sit on the lot and they can hope they can get it from someone else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now what fees should I watch out for (e.g. documentation fees) and how much, if any, should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So assuming I don't get a stellar deal what should I expect to pay for the ancillary fees? Tax, Title, and License are unavoidable. I've only paid the "documentation fee" before on my other vehicles. I will entertain their documentation fee but my research shows the average doc fee in minnesota is $75. What did you guys/gals pay in your states?

·
Registered
817 Posts
When I lived in Northern Virginia (DC area) doc fees an average of $299 and couple years ago when I moved to Jupiter Florida I found out many car dealerships charge $500 to $600 for the doc fees… I will not pay that and when I ordered my GLA45 the fee was dropped to $200.

·
Registered
1 Posts
...just financed a 2015 GLA - black/beige MB-tex, keyless-go, panorama roof, heated seats, poplar trim:

MSRP $37960
paid $35000 for the car, $37391 out the door (doc fee $298)

...this was at Mercedes of Burlington, MA - they seemed eager to deal...Larry Marcus was a great salesperson to work with...
COYS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...just financed a 2015 GLA - black/beige MB-tex, keyless-go, panorama roof, heated seats, poplar trim:

MSRP $37960
paid $35000 for the car, $37391 out the door (doc fee $298)

...this was at Mercedes of Burlington, MA - they seemed eager to deal...Larry Marcus was a great salesperson to work with...
COYS
Great deal!! I'm working with my dealer right now and it sounds like they are going to be flexible with the price...I'm def not paying MSRP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fell for the "this is a nonnegotiable fee" when I bought my wrangler and paid $500 for doc fees. That won't happen again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I fell for the "this is a nonnegotiable fee" when I bought my wrangler and paid $500 for doc fees. That won't happen again.
I seen it happen all the time, taking your money elsewhere is a good way to let them make it refundable and in writing :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
new gla fwd

From my understanding (just ordered one myself and happen to know people at 3 dealerships here in Maryland), the profit margin in total is about 8-10% of the MSRP on the GLA -depending on how much volume the dealership does. There are currently no dealer incentives for February.

I paid 9.25% off MSRP for mine - no dealer fees - and it was factory ordered. Granted, we're very close to the port of Baltimore compared to MN.

Looking at MB's site, you have 3 other dealers in MN. Email all 3 of their internet sales departments and get a quote. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get a good discount from at least 1.
I got a similar deal in Tx for factory order on my 2 GLAs! I used KBB prices to negotiate.

Reactions: funkur

·
Registered
180 Posts
I will never pay a Documentation Fee. It's basically a fee for them to do the paperwork to sell you the car. That should be the cost of doing business. The dealer will tell you it's non-negotiable, but if you insist, you can get rid of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a 5% discount on the total AMG 45 package, one night stay in a 5 star Stuttgart hotel, breakfast, free ground transportation and tour of the Mercedes Museum for two, gourmet luncheon for two, a full tank of fuel, license, insurance, and free shipping from Munich, to my local dealer...It's called European Delivery. I was going to Europe anyway, so my flight was a given AND there was no need to rent a car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got a 5% discount on the total AMG 45 package, one night stay in a 5 star Stuttgart hotel, breakfast, free ground transportation and tour of the Mercedes Museum for two, gourmet luncheon for two, a full tank of fuel, license, insurance, and free shipping from Munich, to my local dealer...It's called European Delivery. I was going to Europe anyway, so my flight was a given AND there was no need to rent a car.
Absolutely recommend the European Delivery if you have the time and the airline miles. We had a blast driving our GLA around EU this summer. MB treated us like rock stars even when we're just buying a GLA250.
5%? Is that just because it's an AMG? I thought the standard for EU delivery is 7 or 8%
Another fun fact if you really want to count pennies, is that they empty your gas tank before ocean shipping, so they encourage you to drop it off closer to, but not completely empty. Once it hits the US your dealer will fill it up again, so hey! $45 bonus!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts