Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here, just want to say that I totally love my GLA45, so much fun, what I would like to know is what are the widest tires I could run on my GLA45 without any rubbing and what aftermarket rim offset would I need exactly to make that work? And could I use spacers with that setup for an additional wider stance? I want to replace the stock AMG wheels with the way to skinny 235/45/19 stock tires. Not that the car doesn’t handle and perform great with the stock setup but I know it could be even better. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Many folks like wider tires and a more "pushed out from fender" (lower positive offset) aesthetic. But regarding performance, wider than the OEM design is not necessarily better. Yes, more road contact patch does facilitate getting the power down, but steering often suffers a "railroad track" response. I've been, literally, down this road and although it can be more visually pleasing I wasn't ultimately pleased while driving.
Also, spacers alter the design geometry. A little is usually not a big deal but if you go with a substantial thickness it can really have negative effects and at a point the further-cantilevered configuration can be much more damage prone and thereby dangerous. You're better served with the offset designed into the wheel and no spacers.
Another consideration is that once the tire is outside the fender liner you'll throw up a lot more road debris on the rear fender exterior. Depending on location (e.g. Winter sand & salt) it can be a real nuisance.
Just another perspective before you take the leap (which I already know you will ;)) and all the best.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The looks need help, thats for sure. I have done a tiny bit of perusing on the topic, and noted a statement that the rules mean there is a large amount of clearance in the well (tire chain clearance etc)
so yeah, you can go bigger.

It would seem that 12~15 mm is the max on reasonable for spacers, and do look abou with open eyes there are some part number confusions. the fit does matter, its not just a fancy washer. use a name brand such as H&R

Out of curiosity, which end is letting go on you? Stock its been noted to understeer, but I imagine a different driving style could back it into trees.
I haven't explored the limits of grip much, worried the dog will eject before I need more rubber.

Are you at stock ride height? lower will get more grip from the same tires, and improve the gap issue (its fistable)

·
Registered
101 Posts
We have tried several wheel and tire sizes and tire types other than OEM on the three GLA45's we have had (we now own two, a 2018 in Toronto and a 2015 in Italy. Our USA GLA45 was sold when we moved back to Canada in 2018).

For Winter, the best wheel and tire combination is the 215/55r 18 with a good quality winter tire like the MO Pirelli we get here in Canada. Wider tires do not do as well in the snow as the 215 does.

For non winter driving (i.e. summer), we have found the 20 wheel provides no performance benefit over the 19 and the ride experience is too severe for every day driving plus there is continual wheel and tire damage from "road hazards", particularly pot holes as the 30|35|40 side dimension is very limited for use in places like Toronto where the roads are not what we find in Europe of the southern USA.

We have tried summer UHP tires wider than the 235's recommended by MB et al, including 245 and 255. These wider tires are not of real benefit when it comes to driving, handling or the like unless you are in competition on a track and I wonder if there is any benefit even there. Some people think the wider tires look better, I am not convinced but can opine that the wider tires also throw crap on the side of the car that can be abrasive and harmful so not on my car!

The biggest issue with the 235/45 19 tire is finding ones that are "good" at a decent cost. I do not regard the OEM Continental's to be "good" as they wear out too quickly and do not ride well. They are excellent in rain however. The Michelin OEM tire is pretty decent (IMHO) and well worth searching out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went with 245/45 19" for just slightly wider and slightly taller for more cushion and also a much more common size so the choices expanded greatly as did pricing. I'm in MN too, so winter is a concern.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I haven't explored the limits of grip much, worried the dog will eject before I need more rubber.
Outstanding.

I can exceed 1g lateral on freeway offramps with my RE71R's with zero complaint of them letting go. And I hear (but have not experienced) that RE71R's give the driver plenty of warning before they go. Whereas the factory Conti's (which also had great grip for me honestly, >.8g measured) had zero warning between "fine" and "sideways", which I "have" experienced.

That about ended my search for aftermarket wheels and spacers. And tires. Any more grip than that and I'll have to replace the tires every 8 months.

This car truly taught me the importance of buying the best tire for as much money as you are comfortable putting into a paper bag and lighting on fire. Combine that with the excellent oil the car uses and the lifetime of the engine oil exceeds the rubber.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I went this way too. I agree I'm happy with 19's vs 20's, thought about 40 series sidewall but decided no, too harsh, and went with a 245/45/19 I went AS Ultra HP tires from Conti (DWS06's). Still great handling, gives a 10mm (not quite 1/2") wider look, about the same height, so RPMs stay close to stock, no buying new rims or spacers. In Colorado, with AWD no need for a separate set of summer/winter tires.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Outstanding.
hehe

I really have no reason to leave Zeus at home, so I do avoid chucking this guy about in a serious way, but he does great, has a nice grippy surface to stand on, but we don't drive like we're flying the LEM, and his only bolsters are in a right hander, leaning on the door. good times

That about ended my search for aftermarket wheels and spacers. And tires. Any more grip than that and I'll have to replace the tires every 8 months.

This car truly taught me the importance of buying the best tire for as much money as you are comfortable putting into a paper bag and lighting on fire.
Tires , helmets, and condoms. All worth the premium variety

Combine that with the excellent oil the car uses and the lifetime of the engine oil exceeds the rubber. I feel ya, but uh uh
not yet, not me
Can you **** up a set of sticky Yokahama's in less than 10,000 miles? yeah, hehe grinz
can you stretch you oil quality at the same time..... not with my cam bearings you won't

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm also on the factory 19" wheels. Take a look at this thread I posted on the MB World forums. I really like these tires. I've even got a 2nd set in the garage when these need replacing. They are, however, absolutely terrifying in the snow. I think everyone already knows that about extreme summer tires but I can confirm it. This is where I had to turn around yesterday. With logging trucks coming the other way it became just too crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts