Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the exclusivity of this model. Only two I've seen in the 4 months I've owned it. No one knows about it. People try to race it like its a normal hatchback. They have no idea. I can feel their jaw drop when I blow past them. Here's a pic at a local walmart. Mines on the left of course.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I live in the Bay Area, and I've seen a few 250s, but I haven't seen a single other 45, though I know friends that say they've seen a white one with spoiler out there somewhere. It's nice to have such a unique car. Friends thought I might get something like a Tesla, but it's just not my style... plus around here, they are way too common. Teslas are like the Honda Civics of Silicon Valley. Good cars, but super-common.

People try to race it like its a normal hatchback. They have no idea. I can feel their jaw drop when I blow past them
I've only had the car for a couple of weeks, and I get a lot of Golf Turbos, Fiat Abarths, Imprezas, Lancers, and even a Ford Focus RS trying to pull on me. I'm not much of a drag racer, but when I step on the gas, it's not even close... I'm still under my 1000 mile break-in period, so I'm not even pushing it near its limits. Lol. Love this little crazy beast!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've seen very few GLA45 in my area (CT) but I did see another GLA45 on the highway once. Same color and wheels as I have. The person driving it was a older women. She didn't notice me as I drove along side her. I doubt she knew what she was driving.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I live in the Bay Area, and I've seen a few 250s, but I haven't seen a single other 45, though I know friends that say they've seen a white one with spoiler out there somewhere. It's nice to have such a unique car. Friends thought I might get something like a Tesla, but it's just not my style... plus around here, they are way too common. Teslas are like the Honda Civics of Silicon Valley. Good cars, but super-common.

People try to race it like its a normal hatchback. They have no idea. I can feel their jaw drop when I blow past them
I've only had the car for a couple of weeks, and I get a lot of Golf Turbos, Fiat Abarths, Imprezas, Lancers, and even a Ford Focus RS trying to pull on me. I'm not much of a drag racer, but when I step on the gas, it's not even close... I'm still under my 1000 mile break-in period, so I'm not even pushing it near its limits. Lol. Love this little crazy beast!
Mine is white but without the spoiler, Ive seen a white with black wheels once in foster city

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've seen very few GLA45 in my area (CT) but I did see another GLA45 on the highway once. Same color and wheels as I have. The person driving it was a older women. She didn't notice me as I drove along side her. I doubt she knew what she was driving.
Hey, I got along side that same lady on H-1 (our interstate) on Oahu a couple weeks ago...driving the same GLA250 as I was, just no AMG sport package. Like when you saw her in CT, she didn't notice me and seemed oblivious to the fine German engineering and craftsmanship she was piloting. Pity for her. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's funny how they always say, "I didn't know Mercedes made a small car" or "That's a nice small Mercedes". Doesn't feel or look small on the engine, torque and HP side specially when I have 420+ HP and 570lb torque under it. A 5.0 Mustang just recently found that out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've been seeing more and more 250's around here, but haven't noticed any 45's. Maybe there are a few, but when they whip past it's hard to tell!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love the exclusivity of this model. Only two I've seen in the 4 months I've owned it. No one knows about it. People try to race it like its a normal hatchback. They have no idea. I can feel their jaw drop when I blow past them. Here's a pic at a local walmart. Mines on the left of course.

Fine looking car Carlo! Mine looks just like the silver one on the right. The only other GLA45 I've seen is the one in my town. It's a white one with red brakes. I see it when I ride my bike past it, on top of a hill.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Living in the 'Treasure Coast' of Florida which includes Palm Beach, Juno, and Jupiter which means it is the land $$$$, exotic cars and where MBs and BMWs are numerous like city cockroaches I see very few GLAs in general and in my year and half of having a GLA45 AMG I have seen two others....I do frequent the abundant car gatherings in the area and still get the comment of 'what type of MB is this'/ never seen a MB like this or the best is 'WHAT? when I explain the AMG model and engine. Best of all, is when I go to the monthly 'coffee and cruise in' held in Palm Beach (this gathering is HUGE...usually 1000 to 1200 cars of all types along with manufacturers and after market folks being there) I am always told to park with the "high end/exotic" car parking area....so I am surrounded by Lambos, Ferrari , Aston etc. and I think it drives these car owners nuts when I have groups of people looking at my GLA45 mainly out of curiosity.

This will give you the idea (the McLaren is owned by a fellow MB club member)>>>

Reactions: cemeek

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hard to tell exactly how many they build each year because MB is so secretive but from what I can find out AMGs in general are no more than 6% of each MB model production. I think they make somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 GLA models annually so that means between 1200 and 1800 45AMGs each year. Now spread that over the world and it's not much. I'm in Texas so if 1/2 of the worlds production goes to the US and then you divide by 50 states you only have 12-18 in Texas. Now Texas is a big state so we probably sell more MB here (M/Bs are everywhere) so maybe we have 10 times that number, so now we have 120 to 180 spread among 30,000,000 cars, that's not many.
I'm like you, almost everywhere I go as I'm leaving or returning to my car people are gawking at it, what is it? How fast is it? Then hear the exhaust and they want to buy one. Today I was sitting in Starbucks and through the window I saw a couple standing next to it and pointing. I came out of a Porsche so I'm used to people staring at my car but this is really surprising, and fun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard to tell exactly how many they build each year because MB is so secretive but from what I can find out AMGs in general are no more than 6% of each MB model production. I think they make somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 GLA models annually so that means between 1200 and 1800 45AMGs each year. Now spread that over the world and it's not much. I'm in Texas so if 1/2 of the worlds production goes to the US and then you divide by 50 states you only have 12-18 in Texas. Now Texas is a big state so we probably sell more MB here (M/Bs are everywhere) so maybe we have 10 times that number, so now we have 120 to 180 spread among 30,000,000 cars, that's not many.
I'm like you, almost everywhere I go as I'm leaving or returning to my car people are gawking at it, what is it? How fast is it? Then hear the exhaust and they want to buy one. Today I was sitting in Starbucks and through the window I saw a couple standing next to it and pointing. I came out of a Porsche so I'm used to people staring at my car but this is really surprising, and fun.
I saw on one of the post that 5-10% of profit comes from AMG models so I am not surprised on how rare they are. I'm always excited to see another gla45. I see a few cla45 but not a gla. I'm guessing bec. Most bought the cla not thinking that there would be another model that will come out that's different than your average. That's why I love these. I was waiting for the shooting star then found out it will never set foot on US soil so I was bummed at first. Not anymore. I like the wide stance on this cuv. I like how nobody can tell if its a cuv, hatchback or a car. Its just a style on its own. On top of me putting my own flavor and it makes it more appealing.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
On rarity, this is from my dealer as of a couple days ago ... 68 GLA 45s have been allocated to the entire USA market for the 2017 model year. 33 of those are for the Western States (Rockies and west). This seems too low to me, so I am figuring what he was reading off of his screen was the number ordered so far. Either way, figuring most cars get ordered near the start of the model year, I don't suspect we will see many.

I drive 35K miles a year (or so). I figure I have good road awareness and a severe tendency to notice other cars. I'm in the San Francisco Bay area where high end cars are normal
I have seen 250s (not a lot) but no 45s.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Wayne, that 68 number seems kinda low. When i was in the market last Sept-Nov cars.com and autotrader listed about ~200 2015 GLA45s unsold in the US so i expect the total to be at least twice that number.

No MBUSA never release their total numbers to the public, even the rare AMG GT R amount is undisclosed

To date today ive seen a total of about 3-4 in the peninsula bay area

Love how rare the car is compared to Tesla Model S and Xs

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wayne, that 68 number seems kinda low. When i was in the market last Sept-Nov cars.com and autotrader listed about ~200 2015 GLA45s unsold in the US so i expect the total to be at least twice that number.

No MBUSA never release their total numbers to the public, even the rare AMG GT R amount is undisclosed

To date today ive seen a total of about 3-4 in the peninsula bay area

Love how rare the car is compared to Tesla Model S and Xs

I see Teslas here like it's a C300 and where I am from, majority are mid to high income so I see a lot of Mercedes, BMW and Teslas. Most are Mercedes coz people here have good taste! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Soon to have Night Black with Night package and silver 20 inch wheels for the sparkle.

Pay on Wednesday, pick up in 24 days.

One more for the North Bay (San Francisco). But it will be a couple more months before it hits our shores.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts