Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just joined the Forum. I'm about to order a European Delivery 2017 GLA 45 as soon as the new DOG comes out.

This will replace my wife's RX400h and augment my 997.2 C4S.

We have an F250 for heavy loads. We are empty nesters. Pam wants smaller, better mpg, sporty, etc. I want a grin on my face when I drive!

The options we are planning include (assuming no major changes from 2016) ...

Northern lights violet (for Pam).
Multi media package.
Premium package.
Night package (dark paint=dark trim).
Blind spot assistance.
Panorama sunroof (Pam surprised me here).
Sport exhaust (Pam likes the burp).
12 color ambient lighting for fun.

Missing items ...

I apex turns on the freeway so lane assist sucked on the Infiniti and was another thing to have to turn off. I dislike cruise control resume since it takes over acceleration and creates a jerk. So I'm opting out of Distronic. Am I wrong here? Would you add the Drive assistance package?

The Interior package is in question. Leather sounds better than M-Tex when spoken. We transport two dogs (12 and 30 pounds). How much does leather mean? How good is the M-Tex in the long run? I love the Recaro seats. Pam does not. So we are dealing with the standard AMG Sports Seats.

I have my 997 for canyons and spirited day trips, but the 45 will get used for cross country blue line drives. We have used the 997 in the past, but with (or without) the dogs it is a bit cramped (the 45 will give the 997 a rest). I am debating Adaptive suspension in lieu of Dynamic plus, or maybe neither. The 45 we test drove had neither and was fine, but I didn't get to any rough road twisties to test it out. Any advice here? I enjoy driving and do pull near to a lateral G from time to time, so I will be prone to push this car a bit. Pam demands Sport suspension setting on the 997 so stiff is not a problem, but there are places where we get air borne unless I soften things to Normal.

I may be in the minority, but I've never cared for Alcantara. We are leaving the steering wheel off the list.

Parktronic was demonstrated, but I don't feel we'd use it. Am I wrong?

I'm an avid Waze user. It has saved me more tickets than my Valentine. We use Android and Mirror Link does not appear to support this app. So a phone mount (high on the dash) comes into the equation. I love the ProClip mount with built in charger (for long trips) in the 997, but hate to give up a vent in the GLA. Does anyone have a favorite option?

For European Delivery, what is the best front license plate mount to take with us to avoid holes being drilled in the front of the car?

What am I missing?

I know this is long post and I'm asking a lot of questions. The dealer expects a new DOG and new GLA orders to open up in April. I'm trying to make "final" decisions before then. Thanks in advance for any advice, guidance, and opinions.

Wayne

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice build. Similar to mine. I agree with you on not getting the drivers assist package. That's for a cruiser like the E class or S class if you drive long distances.

I have a '15 so I can't help you with the suspension question. I only had 1 choice. I do like the Dynamic Plus in a few loaners I have driven.

As for MB-TEX, I love it. I have no issues with it and I hear it lasts longer and is easier to maintain then the leather. Hopefully someone who has had both with chime in for you.

Best of luck to you and please post some pics when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hello Wayne and welcome to the forum! You've laid out an exciting plan, especially the European delivery part. If you use the search function, you'll find several reports on very positive experiences by members who used that.

Just a few comments regarding your plan of options. First, I'm in my upper 60s and appreciate the Driver Assistance Package daily/hourly/each minute I drive. Especially the Distronic which is quite amazing beyond simply keeping speed and resume, especially in heavy traffic. You'll find your foot on the brake much less using that. You'll find lots of random reports here of the positive aspects, as well as a couple less than that.

It's pretty universal that the Blindspot Assist is a must-have, along with the rearview camera. The GLAs have some famous blindspots and those two are champs as superb alternatives for viewing.

As for Parktronic, I also did not want that, too old school I guess. But what I didn't realize I'd lose by not getting that are all the front and rear sensors that provide alarms when backing or parking manually, and that was an after-the-fact regret for me.

My wife and I live in Hawaii and rarely used the sunroof on other cars, other than when we had guests visiting, so we did not want the panoramic roof. A couple other reasons I didn't like it were the canvas cover seemed flimsy, the front baffle when open is a bit awkward looking to me, and some internet reports that MB panoramic roofs had a tendency to shatter, which might or might not be true, might or might not be resolved. I've noted positive remarks here if favor of panoramic roofs, and positive remarks that some are glad they don't have it...just a few that don't like it. In Hawaii and Florida they seem to be very popular, however...perhaps in California too? We don't regret it at all, have no feelings of claustrophobia that some suggest.

A biggie that most folks want...is a separate option...is ApplePlay or its Android counterpart. Those of us who ordered 2016 models last summer did not have the option, only available for builds after 1 December 2015. That's the one option I personally regret missing the most.

Please keep us posted on your order and delivery, and share some photos and experiences once it's delivered. It's an exciting time between the day you order and the day it's delivered, and you'll likely pick up the skill of tracking ships and other neat things to do while you are waiting...lots of thoughts here in various threads about that magic time.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Everyone have their own needs but if you intend to use in as a cross County car as you mentioned. You might want the distronic. My suggestion would be to test drive a mb with that option. It really does help a lot if you plan to drive long distances. In my acura with active lane keeping and active cruise control I find my self more refresh and less tired when I dive 6+ hrs

·
Registered
115 Posts
I recently built an AMG 45 and the one must have option I went for (other than the sunroof was the driving/driver assistance package). Now one thing to note, this package isn't as cool as it is on the C-class (and upwards) Mercedes models. On those models, if you try to change lane when there is a car in your blind spot, the vehicle applies brakes to the opposite flank of wheels preventing the car from moving out of the lane. On the A class, even though this package costs upwards of £1.6k, all you get is a lane assistance warning.

On other models like the C class etc, the distronic set up on those vehicles allows you to use this at whatever speed you want, even at slow speeds. I doubt the GLA class version will be able to do that. Also, further to that, on the distronic set up on other models (c class upwards), the vehicle also turns itself. Again disappointingly I very much doubt that the A class (GLA in this case) version does that. It is sort of disappointing but if you know how to drive you don't really need these featues.

I'm the sort of guy who, once every few weeks, regulary does 6 hours driving a day and the drivers assistance package is really important for me.

On the subject of packages, I didn't go for a sports exhaust because of the noise (ive got a child on the way at the end of November and I would never get away with sticking one of those in the vehicle). It is bad enough that I've gone for the least comfortable GLA (the 45 AMG) and that's got me an extended stay in the dog house as it is.

I would have liked to go with black alloys and the night package but again here in the UK, you're looking at a new GLA 45 starting at £45k and frankly, for a glorified A class Mercedes, that is a ridiculous price as it is. So, while I got the nice engine, I didn't really get any performance packages for example.

I reluctantly went for COMAND online also even though I have no idea how good or useless Merc's A class navigation system is. I have a great big android phone I use as a satnav already with Copilot loaded on to it. co-pilot is a fabulous sat nav application and it has active traffic at a cost of only £8 or so per annum. Whereas we're looking at £1000 for 3 years worth of COMAND online which I think is quite poor value. I am hoping the model that's being built for me has an 8 inch screen but again I have no concrete idea.

I sort of built my car on a website called Carwow.com which allows different merc dealers to pitch how much of their commission they are willing to waive. ultimately I got around £6k off the price of the car which equates to around 15% which is great but what was lacking was any real advice or help.

So in summary, I would give the drivers assistance package a 5/10 in terms of usefulness because, really, I could have got a basic E Class Merc saloon much cheaper than the GLA 45 AMG. In addition I could have got much superior packages that one can find on the GLA. That said, I think the GLA is a unique vehicle and I wouldn't swap it for anything. (errr maybe a GLE AMG lol)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think we all love how exclusive the GLA is. I know there are a few here on the forums that are in the same general area, but after a month and a half of driving, I still have yet to see another GLA45 (I'll be sure to give you guys a thumbs up if I ever come by one), and I constantly get questions about the car. It looks somewhat unassuming from a distance, but when they see the 20" rims, large drilled/slotted brakes with red calipers, the MB/AMG/Turbo logos, and hear the engine... people can't help but get super-curious (A 2015 Camaro SS recently found out what I had under the hood the hard way. Lol). People never realize that MB made such a vehicle... "Mercedes makes a hatchback?! ...and it's an AMG?!"

I have a newborn (4 months old), and I got the performance exhaust. She sleeps soundly through the rumbles, even when I tested it on S+ Mode... though, of course, I never open it up completely with the baby in the car... and I'm sure every baby is different, so not having it may be a good move. I really wanted it for the times that I'm driving by myself ;)

Overall, sure the GLA class doesn't have all the bells and whistles that more luxurious classes have, but I got it for it's sportiness, utility, and the sweet AMG engine. It fits my personality perfectly. People still can't believe that my car is as fast and powerful as it is with only 4 cylinders. A fully-loaded e-class would have cost the same as my GLA (if not a little more), and I'd have all the luxury, but in all honesty, I probably wouldn't be having as much fun driving it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts