Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently MB thinks I'm too stupid to make my own decisions about fresh vs recirculated air when I engage the A/C.
When A/C is active, recirculate engages ... period. The Recirculate indicator does not illuminate, and pressing the recirc button does nothing.
I live in Oregon. I prefer Oregon's air to what's already in my car and can think of TWO times in two years I have chosen recirculate on purpose.
But, when it gets hot out (I love my GLA but it has terrible insulation), I can choose between "fresh and muggy" or "musty but comfy."

By the way, Mercedes got sued for its HVAC design in GLA 2015-2019 (and most other C, E, G, M classes). Go figure. Curious? www.MercedesHVACSettlement.com

My Actual Question: How do I force my '15 GLA 4Matic to disable re-circulation when A/C is engaged?

Waiting 30 min doesn't seem to make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
I can't speak to the 2015, but in our 2018 even when the recirc auto-activates it may be disabled back to fresh air flow via the pushbutton. Not sure if a subsequent design change or your system is faulty, as at the very least the owner's manual cites that it should disable after 30 minutes.
Obviously you don't want to run recirc very long. As you, I can count on one hand the times I've used recirc manually on any vehicle, but in a more urban odorous environment it would seem to have a, very temporary, use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it was buried in my rant, but the recirc button does not illuminate when it auto-activates. I presume that's why I cannot DE-activate.
I can turn it ON at my whim, but if it knows A/C is active...
You could be right about its year or being faulty (my Auto Stop/Start quit a year ago ... I'm in no rush to get that "fixed." [snark])
Thanks @Huey52

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
The Aux battery powers the engine auto-start/stop feature and if it is dead there's no function. I wonder if it also powers your recirc button illumination and manual off-action?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Apparently MB thinks I'm too stupid to make my own decisions about fresh vs recirculated air when I engage the A/C.
When A/C is active, recirculate engages ... period. The Recirculate indicator does not illuminate, and pressing the recirc button does nothing.
I live in Oregon. I prefer Oregon's air to what's already in my car and can think of TWO times in two years I have chosen recirculate on purpose.
But, when it gets hot out (I love my GLA but it has terrible insulation), I can choose between "fresh and muggy" or "musty but comfy."

By the way, Mercedes got sued for its HVAC design in GLA 2015-2019 (and most other C, E, G, M classes). Go figure. Curious? www.MercedesHVACSettlement.com

My Actual Question: How do I force my '15 GLA 4Matic to disable re-circulation when A/C is engaged?

Waiting 30 min doesn't seem to make a difference.
Did you ever figure this out? I'm a smoker and with all previous cars I could put in fresh air mode to put positive pressure into car and force smoke out the open crack in the window, but not this car!
Sometime I see smoke going out the window and then it will just change by itself and seemingly be in recirc mode.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Making any adjustment to this HVAC system, being able to see what changed, with an understanding of what changed, is a task that must be done out of traffic, in park, brake applied.

and a cup of coffee and print out of the pertinent portion of the manual available

POS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts