Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car first caught my ear in 2014 at the NYC International Auto Show. This was the only model that really stood out in my eyes. It took me over two years to come back around and see one at a dealership by chance. three weeks and a crap ton of negotiations I finally took My AMG home. Car bought 14 June 2016

Plans: Well I am not messing with the internals until my factory warranty is up (obvious reasons). So in the mean time I am working on making mine look very custom. Alot of read highlights throughout the outside and inside. I have seen alot of ideas on the web.

Let the Fun Begin !!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
This car first caught my ear in 2014 at the NYC International Auto Show. This was the only model that really stood out in my eyes. It took me over two years to come back around and see one at a dealership by chance. three weeks and a crap ton of negotiations I finally took My AMG home. Car bought 14 June 2016

Plans: Well I am not messing with the internals until my factory warranty is up (obvious reasons). So in the mean time I am working on making mine look very custom. Alot of read highlights throughout the outside and inside. I have seen alot of ideas on the web.

Let the Fun Begin !!!!!!

Congrats, It's a real beauty. Enjoy and have fun.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet 45 let the fun begin.... first 1000 miles are rough though haha
in what way? they gave me that sticker in the windshield that told me to take it easy the first 1000 miles. but that's not very descriptive

·
Registered
880 Posts
You have to keep it under 4000 rpm and under 85. No drop downshifting. The engine wants to rev and at freeway speeds it hard to keep it below 85 haha

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IC. yeah I know what you mean. I was cruising in it the first day on a 55 and looked down and was going 70. Very smooth at speed. I LOVE IT

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next step is finally here. Getting a new paint job. Getting it done in Autoflex peelable auto paint. Some may think that tacky but I plan on painting my vehicle frequently. going with an orange-red color shift. Will give a review of the place once I see the final work.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dipping a car is fine in my opinion, as long as it's a good spray job. I'm in the Bay Area in California, so it's not an option for me unless I'm feeling brave enough to do it myself. Looks like you got some pros doing it for you, and that color looks nice, so I'm expecting it will turn out great. Flashy or not, color choice, etc... it will always be a matter of opinion, but your 45 will definitely look custom and turn some heads. Can't wait to see it!

·
Registered
178 Posts
More power to you! I wouldn't even dream of beginning to consider doing something like that to my car LOL. Resale value, potential damage to the original paint, et cetera. Plus I'm going for max sleeper factor - the titanium bits are too flashy for me on the Black body. Would have considered night package but Dynamics trumped all other options.

But I still want to see how yours turns out :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Resale value, potential damage to the original paint, et cetera.
Actually, these types of products are made to apply on cars (at least PlstiDip Spray is), and it is more of a temporary coating than it is a paint job. Dipping is similar to wrapping a car in vinyl... Perhaps not quite as durable, but significantly cheaper (and easier than vinyl-wrapping complex compound curves of some vehicles... I used to run a vinyl shop). In the long run, it could protect your paint from minor chips, scuffs, and outdoor exposure. I've seen cars that have been dipped multiple times, and the paint underneath looks like it came from the showroom. If it's done right, it can look fantastic and comes off with no issues.

My 45 is night black... Clean, but doesn't have quite the wow factor that other luxury sports car paint jobs might have. I'd keep it black or gunmetal, but would love to have a satin, metallic, or pearl finish to it. I'd do it if I could get my hands on some or find a local shop that does it. Living in the Bay Area has its downsides.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Actually, these types of products are made to apply on cars (at least PlstiDip Spray is), and it is more of a temporary coating than it is a paint job. Dipping is similar to wrapping a car in vinyl... Perhaps not quite as durable, but significantly cheaper (and easier than vinyl-wrapping complex compound curves of some vehicles... I used to run a vinyl shop). In the long run, it could protect your paint from minor chips, scuffs, and outdoor exposure. I've seen cars that have been dipped multiple times, and the paint underneath looks like it came from the showroom. If it's done right, it can look fantastic and comes off with no issues.

My 45 is night black... Clean, but doesn't have quite the wow factor that other luxury sports car paint jobs might have. I'd keep it black or gunmetal, but would love to have a satin, metallic, or pearl finish to it. I'd do it if I could get my hands on some or find a local shop that does it. Living in the Bay Area has its downsides.
Sounds like I need to school up - I have and will use clear bra but maybe a wrap is a better option now.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally it is done. Man that was the longest wait of my life but for what it is worth it came out fantastic.

Now on to the next phase of the project.....

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wow. Turned out great and looks very custom. Did they put AutoFlex on your calipers, too? Wasn't sure if they were durable enough since they get so hot.

·
Registered
503 Posts
wheels spacer needed asap. 20mm all around

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, Autoflex is on the calipers. It is heat resistant. I would not take it a full day on the track, but it is fine when that STI wants to play.

that is the plan. black painted rotors with 20mm black spacers

next is on to interior or maybe tire letters...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts