Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local mechanic says that my GLA should have a tune-up at 45K. Has anyone else heard this? I thought there was just A/B service every 10K.

·
Registered
608 Posts
According to the maintenance booklet, A and B services are every 10 K miles/annually, whichever comes first. However, the maintenance booklet also calls for "Additional maintenance work." At 46,500 miles/4 years the GLA 250 is supposed to get a new air filter and new spark plugs. Supposedly the 40 K mile service is a B service. I have been going about 10 K a year, so in theory, I would be at 40 K at the 4 year point. I assume that the air filter and plugs would be changed at this 40 K/4 year B service. Many folks drive more than 10 K miles a year, so you could easily be at 46,500 miles at the 4 year point. I don't think you would have the B service done at 4 year/40 K and then return at 46,500. I think the plug and filter change may be what your local mechanic is referring to. What makes this confusing is that they go from a 10 K interval, which would be 40 K at 4 years to 46,500. What might make more sense would be to make the service interval annual/12K

Reactions: ZomZom

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads-up. This is a new mechanic for me and I mostly wanted to make sure he’s being truthful. Much appreciated!

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
My 2015 GLA 250 is at the dealership today for the 40K "B" service. I confirmed that they will replace the engine and cabin air filters as part of this service, but not the spark plugs.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Will you go back at 4 years or 46,500 miles for spark plugs, or has the 'additional maintenance work' requirement for plug change been modified?

·
600 Posts
Many old school mechanics still think old school when things needs to be done. Cars are built different today and changing oil every 1k is a money maker for shops. MB has a schedule when things needs to be done, sometimes they list items as a preventive to avoid future problems on parts that is working. My indy sort of the thinking is if it is not broke leave it along. If car is running good and gas milage is still good no need to change plugs every 4 or 5 years. Says he has pulled many and they general are still good for many more miles. Fluid changes is one of the few items you should follow the schedule. If you are a low miles person and say only drive 5k a year why replace air filter with 20k when MB says they are good to 40k.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
Time oxidizes metals. Aluminum heads strip easily. Changing plugs is cheap insurance against head damage.

Heat works like time. Higher output creates higher heat. Thus the 45 plug change interval is less than the 250.

Mold grows in cabin filters. How much time do you give it?

Oil absorbs water. This is worse in short drive cars, or seldom driven cars. Still want to keep that oil? At what cost?

Your car, your choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts