Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

3G Sundown 12/1. Don’t Get Left in the Dark & Cold

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gbarringer 
#1 ·
I received this from MB.

Attn: All Mercedes Benz model year 2013-2017 owners.
On December 1st, 2022, Mercedes Benz will be shutting down their 3G network (3G sundown).

What that means for you: if your vehicle is affected by the 3G sundown, your Mercedes mobile app will no longer connect to your vehicle and features like remote start, remote lock and unlock, vehicle tracking, low battery alerts, and more will not work after 12/1/2022.

Mercedes has already announced and informed service centers that there is not a retrofit option to retain these features.
What you can do about it:
Fortunately, there is a reliable solution available from an OEM integration provider that has spent over a decade providing remote starter and mobile app control solutions for Mercedes vehicles.

The SmartKey Starter® by Mid City Engineering has remote start from your OEM key fob out of the box. Add the Compustar Drone® to remote start, remote lock and unlock, track vehicle, check vehicle status, receive alarm notifications, battery alerts, and more- all from your phone. Additional add-ons and options like security sensor (shock/tilt/glass break/tow), extended range RF remotes, proximity lock/unlock, anti-carjacking, and more are also available.

Installing the SmartKey Starter® + Compustar Drone® in your vehicle will give you the features you’ve been using from your factory Mercedes app, plus a whole lot more.

For more information, vehicle compatibility, purchasing options, and a full list of vehicles affected by the 3G sundown, please visit: https://www.midcityengineering.com/mb3gsundown/
For professional installation, use the dealer locater tool on our website to find an installer near you.

See less See more
  • Wow
  • Helpful
Reactions: Huey52 and RamaGLA
This post has been deleted
#3 ·
The carriers such as AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and others are dropping 3G service in their system. It is something other car makers and even people with very old flip phones will also be in the cold and dark.

I have no connection with MidCity just sharing info I had received in an email. What is done to continue service will require hardware and or firmware updating depending on the equipment in the vehicle. Those who have an old flip phone will be in a surprise when they finally get a smart phone.

Reactions: RamaGLA
#6 · (Edited)
What exactly does this mean though? Specifically the key fob, I don't have remote start, but it mentions lock/unlock, how can that possibly be affected? There is only a little skeleton key hidden in the key fob and that only opens drivers door. This doesn't make sense that the vicinity lock/unlock would be affected by this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.