Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends... the local dealership is pricing me the 2015 GLA AMG about $15,000 cheaper compared to the 2017 version. They're both pretty much brand new and same specced (the 2015 is certified pre-owned at around 2.5k). I'm wondering if the $15,000 is enough of a savings to just go for the 2015 version, even with the slightly less HP engine and different gearing I've heard? Any other drastic changes between these two years?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
In random order ... and some of these are dependent upon your build spec ...

Different gearing and shifting programs. Apple Car Play and Android Auto. A half second faster to 60 mph. Adaptive selectable suspension. More torque to go with the HP. Larger center screen. If the Standard Accessory Sheet is right, the 2017 gets a powered adjustable steering column that ties into the seat memory. Adjustable (extendable) thigh support. And some other stuff.

I think that about covers it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In random order ... and some of these are dependent upon your build spec ...

Different gearing and shifting programs. Apple Car Play and Android Auto. A half second faster to 60 mph. Adaptive selectable suspension. More torque to go with the HP. Larger center screen. If the Standard Accessory Sheet is right, the 2017 gets a powered adjustable steering column that ties into the seat memory. Adjustable (extendable) thigh support. And some other stuff.

I think that about covers it.
Thanks, I assume the gearing is hard set but is the engine different or just a different tune? Wondering if that engine difference will make a difference in the long run after the warranty and if I want to mess with the tuning.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Mb sneaked in a computer controlled blow off valve on the 16+. Car for car I would like to see at least 20k off a 2 yr old car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mb sneaked in a computer controlled blow off valve on the 16+. Car for car I would like to see at least 20k off a 2 yr old car.
Dang, it's running after taxes for around 43k USD after currency conversion. Dunno if I should snatch it or just order a brand new one for 60k USD. Buggers it's a hard call, it did come all loaded with the packages I want.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
I assume you are working with a dealer and a CPO. Are you getting a remaining time period warranty, or are they extending it? If the clock has been ticking on the warranty, that's a consideration.

For a two year old car I would push for no less than 30% off of the original sticker price. If this was well equipped, that could be $20K or more.

Ask the dealer for the DOGs (Dealer Order Guides) for 2015, 16, and 17. These give a list of what's new each year. Use this for comparison.

Only you can determine the value of some of the new features. The 2015 may not be a compromise, or it might.

The newer cars are smoother. The transmission is improved from the test drives I have done. To me, the newer cars perform better as well. But the 2015 is pretty sweet and it is hard to know if you would see the difference or not.

How patient are you? You won't get a 2017 for several months. From what I can tell, the first production runs won't begin until next month, and there could be a back log. We placed our order in mid April. We're getting an earlier delivery by picking it up in Stuttgart. That won't be until the end of August.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the Standard Accessory Sheet is right, the 2017 gets a powered adjustable steering column that ties into the seat memory. Adjustable (extendable) thigh support. And some other stuff.
Wow, if that is true... that's so exciting. I guess it was really worth it to wait for 17 model.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Btw, did they bump the HP to 380 from 375 for 2017 model?
I thought they didn't have any engine specification changes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assume you are working with a dealer and a CPO. Are you getting a remaining time period warranty, or are they extending it? If the clock has been ticking on the warranty, that's a consideration.

For a two year old car I would push for no less than 30% off of the original sticker price. If this was well equipped, that could be $20K or more.

Ask the dealer for the DOGs (Dealer Order Guides) for 2015, 16, and 17. These give a list of what's new each year. Use this for comparison.

Only you can determine the value of some of the new features. The 2015 may not be a compromise, or it might.

The newer cars are smoother. The transmission is improved from the test drives I have done. To me, the newer cars perform better as well. But the 2015 is pretty sweet and it is hard to know if you would see the difference or not.

How patient are you? You won't get a 2017 for several months. From what I can tell, the first production runs won't begin until next month, and there could be a back log. We placed our order in mid April. We're getting an earlier delivery by picking it up in Stuttgart. That won't be until the end of August.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thank you Wayne for all your helpful advice. Yes, i'm working with a dealer and it's a CPO. They're giving me 3 years + 2 years extended warranty and they're giving me around a 13k discount over the ticketed price. It's basically the 2015 with both the premium packages for around 54K CAD all in after our (13%) taxes and stuff. Not sure how that translates to the fees down south in the states and how much more flexible the dealers are compared to up here in Canada. I've looked at the DOG's as you've recommended and I think I might just got for the 2015. A similarly specced 2017 came out to around 68k CAD all in, felt like a hefty price to pay for a marginally smoother ride and couple more horses.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong either way. Good luck as you move forward.
Agreed, determine whats most important to you and move forward... you'll enjoy it either way. Some things like color its not so easy to change but a few HP can be had with some "tuning". I have a 16 45, let me know if you have questions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts