Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
Yes to Conti tires. Operating these tires below 40F can cause permanent damage per the manufacturer. I would not advise this use but in my case there was not an option. By the time we had uphill travel with 4 inches of snow in the road and ice below that. But traction was never a problem. At the same time advertising m acceleration was less than optimal since the computers were over riding.

Skid pad use started with all controls on. Everyone zipped around the pad with no problems. We then went to Sport and most were sliding off the pad. Then we went to Sport Plus and no one was staying on the pad. We didn't get to Race mode.

I'll confess that with electric steering I was having trouble feeling the direction the wheels were pointing (and this is one of the reasons I prefer my 997 with hydraulic assist to the 45). This severely limited my ability to control the car. I suspect this might be different on an open road but can't say. At that point it was difficult to evaluate how much oversight the computers were using, but it was minimal.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Rats, totally different car. My 2015 has three settings. On, Sport, and Off. (And Dyno but that one doesn’t count)

I had a spin at buttonwillow that can’t easily be explained and heard a hypothesis that the nannies put my car in a spin. Not good if true since TC was Off. But I can’t prove it.

other guys figure it out in bigempty parking lots at dusk if you know what I mean, but I don’t do that and have so much mechanical grip besides I can’t really break loose at low speeds on a flat road even if I tried. Mercedes likely won’t tell me, they couldn’t even tell me the dry and wet boiling pt of the oem brake fluid. Any max temp for that matter

·
Registered
187 Posts
On the C63, with TC off, it's off, except if there's rear lateral movement. Then it's not off anymore. The only way it's completely off, is in dyno mode.
You can probably make donuts with the C63, but there are theories that you'll kill the power steering pump if you do.
My pump has a vague hum, even after I replaced part of the fluid and the reservoir with integral filter.
Maybe the previous owner did donuts ..
So I may at some point buy a replacement pump and go do donuts to finally see what happens to the existing pump and how many donuts it takes to kill it.:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
So far, the Michelins seem more comfortable. also, the turn in is more progressive. Maybe the Continentals operating in such cold weather, even if the rubber was still not that hard, because the compound is so soft, the sidewall material was getting too hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FWIW I put 245/40/20s Michelin A/S 3+ on my wife's GLA just a couple weeks ago. That combined with 15mm spacers all around really gives the car a better look. It does rub every so slightly on full compression in the rears (inside of upper grey fender liner) but willing to sacrifice that for the looks. I would post a pic but car is dirty and hasn't been washed due to the weather. I highly recommend these for anyone in inclement weather and night and day difference vs the oem Contis5ps or whatever were on there. Did great in the last snow we (8") and really good on dry/wet as well plus the ride is so much smoother than the contis.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts