Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GLA250 4matic, 2023 GLA250 4matic (on order)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2023 GLA on order at my local dealer, but they're a little fuzzy as to timing. Has anyone heard a (true) rumor as to when production actually begins for 2023 GLA's?

·
Super Moderator
2,123 Posts
In my experience (2017 Euro Delivery 45) orders for the current model year cut off in mid March and orders for the next midel year begin in late April. Actual production for the next model year doesn't begin until early August with first delivery (leaving the factory) occurring late August. But in today's supply chain conundrum I'm not sure what will or won't be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a GLA45 on order and it is confirmed to be a 2023 model. The car was built in the "3rd decade" of June 2022 (between June 20 and June 30). I have the VIN number. Right now they tell me the car is in status "B5C" which the dealer says doesn't really tell anything specific except that the build is complete. I am trying to find out exactly what "B5C" indicates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve - Seems odd, but not impossible, for a 2023 model to be built as early as June of 2022. Is the tenth digit in the VIN a "P"? If so, it's indeed a 2023 model.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealers sometimes advertise new cars that they've ordered from the factory, but those cars are still several weeks from arriving. The car does have a VIN but actually might still be in the paint booth. Yet the dealer will "sell" it to you, take a deposit and notify you when in arrives on his lot. Of the 2023's that are now being advertised, have any actually arrived in the US?

·
Super Moderator
952 Posts
The VIN comes fairly late in the assembly line build just in case there's a problem it's much easier to recycle a non-VIN vehicle then one which has been so assigned. So, much later than the paint booth. ;)

But yes, dealerships often advertise vehicles not yet on their lot. Although they're typically good about listing them as "soon arriving" or "in transit."

Note also that they will often list a customer ordered vehicle as well, as after all the dealership owns it until you take delivery, as you might cancel. Also just to create some marketing buzz on a rarer offering such as the GLA45, or any vehicle these days given so relatively few available. So don't be alarmed if you see 'your' vehicle on their website as they won't really sell it out from under you - at least not any reputable dealership.
Dealers sometimes advertise new cars that they've ordered from the factory, but those cars are still several weeks from arriving. The car does have a VIN but actually might still be in the paint booth. Yet the dealer will "sell" it to you, take a deposit and notify you when in arrives on his lot. Of the 2023's that are now being advertised, have any actually arrived in the US?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New question: I ordered a 2023 GLA250 without the "panoramic" sunroof. Does this mean no sunroof at all, not even a non-pano one?

·
Super Moderator
952 Posts
That's correct. It's an all or nothing proposition in the USA. There is only the articulating pano-roof option or a stock solid roof (no fixed glass roof). This is a common option-approach for many SUV manufacturers. Although there are a few out there who have no pano-roof but rather offer a fixed glass option, e.g. VW ID.4.
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Did you really order without fully knowing what you would be getting or are you just making a statement? :unsure:
New question: I ordered a 2023 GLA250 without the "panoramic" sunroof. Does this mean no sunroof at all, not even a non-pano one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's correct. It's an all or nothing proposition in the USA. There is only the articulating pano-roof option or a stock solid roof (no fixed glass roof). This is a common option-approach for many SUV manufacturers. Although there are a few out there who have no pano-roof but rather offer a fixed glass option, e.g. VW ID.4.
View attachment 27809

Did you really order without fully knowing what you would be getting or are you just making a statement? :unsure:
I have that pano sunroof now in two other M-Bs and never open them. I think they use headroom (I'm tall) and add weight and complexity and cost - this time I'll do without. But is my recollection correct - on some past models, you got a standard conventional sliding roof if you didn't opt for the pano roof?

·
Super Moderator
952 Posts
Perhaps a fixed glass roof with shade was/is an option on some other models, but pano or solid non-glass on the GLA (2015 - present), at least in the USA

There's no question that an articulating pano-roof adds weight, complexity and cost. And yes it typically decreases a bit of headroom due to its flatness. However many, including my wife, like the add'l cabin lighting and on occasion open air. But given the issues cited by many I'm always a bit concerned when she opens it. "Will this be the time?" It's unfortunate to even have to think about such. Reminds me to clean the channels & drip tubes and lubricate near future.

However the 2020+ models being a full height SUV (vs. prior years lower CUV form) does have more headroom even with the pano-roof. At 5'-9" and 5'-2" respectively me and my wife as you would expect have no MY2018 interior height issues and that's with preferred raised seats (although I'm close).
I have that pano sunroof now in two other M-Bs and never open them. I think they use headroom (I'm tall) and add weight and complexity and cost - this time I'll do without. But is my recollection correct - on some past models, you got a standard conventional sliding roof if you didn't opt for the pano roof?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts