Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know if I love the screen going all the way across like that from driver cluster to what was the screen area.... otherwise.. daaaang!

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Not much space for a phone mount with that display combo.

Don't like adding 4 inches of height.

I still prefer the older grill.

But the user interface is supposed to be much better, the center storage looks a lot better, and the temperature control is higher (safer to use) and appears to be friendlier as well.

I'm not seeing cup holders but they could be under the center sliding door. Then again, isn't holding a cup what the passenger is for?!?!

The adjustable rear seats also seem to be an improvement but less head room after raising the roof and less leg space in front?

Also seems like the AMG badge is getting diluted.

I guess we'll need to see it in person.

·
Registered
47 Posts
looking more and more like a SUV rather than a hatch. i guess that's why they're marketing this car as. i still like the hatch look better than the mini SUV look.

·
Registered
194 Posts
LED headlights were my wife's primary consideration in awaiting a 2018 and now she wants a touchscreen so will await the 2021.

But as a petite woman she likes the current height for greater ease of entry/exit. I think the current model looks better than competitors too given its somewhat lower crossover-esque height.

Thanks for linking.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was so worried that i ll be getting new gla 45, but looking at that boring, very boring thing , i m very happy with original.
There is no comparison between 2 cars.

·
Registered
241 Posts
hilarious press release.

"The GLA 35 is the first performance model in the GLA-Class line, and it will eventually be followed an even more potent GLA 45"

GLA has been around since 2014, but thankfully NOW in 2021 model year there will be a performance model available for the first time!

(oops....)

:)

·
Registered
194 Posts

But the user interface is supposed to be much better, the center storage looks a lot better, and the temperature control is higher (safer to use) and appears to be friendlier as well.

I'm not seeing cup holders but they could be under the center sliding door. Then again, isn't holding a cup what the passenger is for?!?!

The adjustable rear seats also seem to be an improvement but less head room after raising the roof and less leg space in front?

Perhaps. You can go to Mercedes site if you google around enough and find a bunch of stuff. Pics of the engine, I noticed that the 35 AMG cover has NO AMG single motor assembler badge, so these are likely mass produced = brand dilute. I don't get another model here anyway, but then again, I don't get Mercedes tons of offerings as a whole, it's the same as Porsche I guess. You know this, just go look up a 911 or GTS and you will see you can have it 25 different ways (not just basic options, I'm talking GT, GTS, sport, turbo, no turbo, carrrera, etc. etc.)

I'll echo everyone else, I'm not digging the long screen, but I do like the center console upgrade, but where are my cup holders? At least my plastic center console has the holders in the perfect spot for me. I just need an aftermarket company to step up and offer some burlwood inserts for my center console to match what I have up at the vents in the dash. I would pay for this upgrade for sure.

Also note they seem to be playing with what power can go front/rear. Ours at least will allow 50/50, but it looks like this will allow only 70/30 for sport mode. Sport mode makes a big difference in our cars, I never used it for months after purchase, but once I tried it, it brings out the performance so much more.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts

Perhaps. You can go to Mercedes site if you google around enough and find a bunch of stuff. Pics of the engine, I noticed that the 35 AMG cover has NO AMG single motor assembler badge, so these are likely mass produced = brand dilute. I don't get another model here anyway, but then again, I don't get Mercedes tons of offerings as a whole, it's the same as Porsche I guess. You know this, just go look up a 911 or GTS and you will see you can have it 25 different ways (not just basic options, I'm talking GT, GTS, sport, turbo, no turbo, carrrera, etc. etc.)

I'll echo everyone else, I'm not digging the long screen, but I do like the center console upgrade, but where are my cup holders? At least my plastic center console has the holders in the perfect spot for me. I just need an aftermarket company to step up and offer some burlwood inserts for my center console to match what I have up at the vents in the dash. I would pay for this upgrade for sure.

Also note they seem to be playing with what power can go front/rear. Ours at least will allow 50/50, but it looks like this will allow only 70/30 for sport mode. Sport mode makes a big difference in our cars, I never used it for months after purchase, but once I tried it, it brings out the performance so much more.
I'll second everything you've said!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I thought the glc 43 was already a mass produced engine?

You guys do know there are plenty of S63 snobs who think we are diluting the amg brand?

I agree that one man one engine should be a requirement for amg (or at least 2-number amg), but still, plenty of folks think we should be kicked out of the club as is.

·
Registered
194 Posts

You guys do know there are plenty of S63 snobs who think we are diluting the amg brand?

I agree that one man one engine should be a requirement for amg (or at least 2-number amg), but still, plenty of folks think we should be kicked out of the club as is.

The 43 might be mass, I will have to go look at that engine tonight.....I think it's a "43" since if you look at it's weight and power output, it's slower than our 45 but a bit even though turbo 6 motor.

I have no issue with someone with a v8 $100k plus AMG snubbing nose at my little high performance sewing machine. I would simply ask how much they paid for their car per HP? More importantly if that question was answered "who cares?", I'd ask who has more power output per liter? And if they manage 4seconds to sixty, was it really worth all the extra money for .3-4 seconds? Who gets better fuel economy? Who has all wheel drive, can actually haul stuff in the back (yes again today I had numerous boxes filled in the back of my hatch with seats folded, plus golf club bag). His/hers is likely a toy to drive once in a while, ours can do it all and is super fun and reasonably inexpensive to drive.

I think AMG has had tons of fun showing their loyals they can do a serious non-v8 project, and as a matter of fact a tiny 2.0 and make it the best motor of this size ever produced. It has to be when they are looking at the Audi 2.5 5 cyl. nearly 400hp RS hatch (still not sold in US).

·
Registered
194 Posts

Just to follow up, I checked MB site, the glc43 AMG is "AMG enhanced" no badge. A 63S is AMG "handcrafted". they aren't showing 2020 for our GLA but this was also shown as AMG Handcrafted for all our earlier models, thus the one man, one build badge.

But like the reviews of the GLA in general, they are probably unhappy with MB AMG offering certain pieces, like our questionable plastic center console, overall noise, namely. Couldn't they have added a little more to the interior for the large price increase? Answer was no, it cost plenty to make the performance package in engine, styling changes, wheels, brakes, suspension, interior controls for performance, etc. to make it a real performance car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks,
Personally, I think the prior version is nicer looking. The 2020 looks somewhat bloated and a bit "egg-like".
I personally don't really care about an extra 4" above my head - I currently have plenty of room.
The interior is an expected upgrade to the current C-class standards and THAT would be welcome.
Improved aerodynamics would also be a plus as would the addition of sound deadening material in the doors (we'll see if they do THAT)
Why are the paddle shifters still so tiny?
I wonder if the cost differential between the 200/35 will mirror the 250/45?

more pics (many duplicate the OP reference) here

1 - 20 of 25 Posts