Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw my first new body series North American GLA45 at local independent (not owned by MBC) dealer yesterday. and sat in it but did not drive it. Nice to sit in (easier to get in and out of than our 2015-19 cars and better to see out of <IMHO>). Have driven the European 45s and it was good but not as firm or precise to drive as our cars are but have not driven the North American version.
Have driven the North American (Canadian) GLA35 and was very disappointed as it drives more like a Buick than an AMG even with suspension set to firmest.... way too soft, lacking in precision have come to love in the old series AMG45. Some of the disappointment in the new version AMG may come from the new vehicle being somewhat wider than the older one and a touch heavier. It surely is not faster than our 2018 GLA45 or as fun to drive in my limited experience.
WTS, have to say the infotainment system is a huge improvement over COMAND but some of the interior and exterior materials choices are not. Powertrain on both the 45s (European) and the 35 (Canadian) is nice, in good part due to the 8 speed twin clutch.
Would be interested in hearing what others who have experienced, but do not sell, the new GLA45 North American version think of it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have not driven one either. However, despite the slightly wider stance, the rear track is not quite as wide (it's still wider than ours, but less than the change they made in front), they seem to have wanted to tone down the girls rear end, which I happen to like (the wider stance). It's a smoother look which I still don't like as much as our edgier look. The height, while I get that they wanted it to be more SUV, will only detract from actual on road handling. And your mention of the weight that goes along with the changes....it appears to be 400 lbs, that is about 11% more so that is pretty substantial when you have a 2.0 motor. Just throw in 2 big guys in your car and see how the take off is affected. Granted it has a bit more power and the 8 speed gearing might be an improvement, but the weight is going to counteract that, unless you get the S version.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our Cdn 2018 has 375HP and 350 lb-ft of torque. The Cdn 2021 GLA45 (no “s” here) has 382 HP and Torque rating of 354 lb-ft, not really a difference of consequence. What provides acceleration is low end torque and not HP. My sense is the new version has about the same high-end torque and likely not as much low end compared with the prior engine such that, along with more weight and notwithstanding the improvements the new 8 speed transmission should bring, performance for North American GLA45 is not improved from the last generation. MBCda is advertising 0-100 kph (62mph) of 4.4 seconds while our first-generation cars are somewhat quicker.
The new vehicle is clearly not a performance improvement as the material weight increase does not enhance handling or acceleration.. The larger space and improved infotainment systems are welcomed progress but am seriously questioning what has been done to the “line” as an enthusiasts vehicle.
The good news for those of us in the Great White North is we get the AMG A35 4MATIC Hatch, with rumours that the A45 will come soon. These vehicles are closer replacements for the old format GLA45 than the new GLA45 appears to be. Does not appear MBUSA is doing the A Class.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i think in the US we're stuck with the sedan A class. the look is actually growing on my so i'm hoping they'll have A45 at least. I also like the new GLB so am hoping they'll have the 45 version of that. no go for GLA moving forward :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
i think in the US we're stuck with the sedan A class. the look is actually growing on my so i'm hoping they'll have A45 at least. I also like the new GLB so am hoping they'll have the 45 version of that. no go for GLA moving forward :(
I like the A, CLA is horrible as is the new gla. 911 safari ftw, probably way over my pay grade though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in Canada and have the 2019 GLA 45. Mine came with the Recaro style seats, red seat belts, performance exhaust and suspension no idea what the packages are. Love the car but am thinking about the Renntech Tuner when the warrantee runs out. Love the car overall except for comfort drive mode there seems to be a subtle delay on acceleration, not turbo lag. Sports and Sport+ are great and very responsive... I never use race lol. I like the look of the 2019 except for the rear lights. Those bug eyes are ugly. I do like the rear lights on the 2021.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Saw my first new body series North American GLA45 at local independent (not owned by MBC) dealer yesterday. and sat in it but did not drive it. Nice to sit in (easier to get in and out of than our 2015-19 cars and better to see out of <IMHO>). Have driven the European 45s and it was good but not as firm or precise to drive as our cars are but have not driven the North American version.
Have driven the North American (Canadian) GLA35 and was very disappointed as it drives more like a Buick than an AMG even with suspension set to firmest.... way too soft, lacking in precision have come to love in the old series AMG45. Some of the disappointment in the new version AMG may come from the new vehicle being somewhat wider than the older one and a touch heavier. It surely is not faster than our 2018 GLA45 or as fun to drive in my limited experience.
WTS, have to say the infotainment system is a huge improvement over COMAND but some of the interior and exterior materials choices are not. Powertrain on both the 45s (European) and the 35 (Canadian) is nice, in good part due to the 8 speed twin clutch.
Would be interested in hearing what others who have experienced, but do not sell, the new GLA45 North American version think of it.
the ugly car now. why even bother

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 2016 gla 45 and now have a 2021. Definately different cars. I agree that the 2016 was more like a car, and the 2021 is more like an suv. Handling and acceleration is a bit lacking on the 2021 comparatively, but still not bad. I have taken multiple performance driving classes and have tracked both cars. Again, the 2021 feels and handles more like an suv. I am still glad with my choice as the interior features are a lot better in my opinion. More refined and more MB feeling compared to the honda feeling of the 2016 interior. I hear the gla 35 is more like the old 45s. The seats sit higher in the 2021, so that also adds to the SUV feeling. Only thing I dont like is the rearview mirror on the 2021 is at a weird height so I can never see more the a few cars back without crouching down. Just cant get the right angle. I am only 5'10" so kinda weird.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only sit inside the new 2021 GLA45, no wonder the sales person didn't even bother to accommodate my test-drive request. The new GLA sits higher, feels wider, personally don't like the new dashboard change, only good thing is the MBUX way better than the old voice command. The outside look is too mainstream SUV. Love the old hot-hatch style, not the new SUV style. Drove the GLC300(loaner) and really didn't like the SUV feel, so if the 2021 drives like GLC, then that's bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I have small Elise as my track car now. However, I also enjoy the suv feeling for more daily driver and especially in snow. But I hear what you mean about expecting non-SUV out of the 45. It is a very distinct change and not like the older 45s. I expect the 35s are more what ur looking for. The "iPad strapped to dash" look of the old 45s kinda irked me, but whatever. I dig the new interior as it feels more refined.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Drove the new A35.
Handling feels somewhat spring loaded, like it had torsion bars and not springs.
It does feel stiff.
Acceleration and torque were not bad.
The new car smell is of the bad variety in this case. The car I drove was black and had sat in the sun waiting for me for 20 minutes. Got a few breathfull of that before I could lower all windows.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I sat in a '21 GLA35 while my '15 GLA45 was in for service. The creature comforts and the new gauge clusters are so fricken' amazing but, realistically, Hyundai has more tech in a '21 Veloster N than any Mercedes from '15. That's just how fast technology progresses and spreads to the automotive masses so it's not a super fair comparison. However comparing the transmissions and engines is certainly fair game and that's where the new AMG45 kicks it's predecessor's butt. I'm basing this only on journalist reviews obviously, but it sounds like putting that new DCT and M139 (please bring the 420hp variant to the USDM) in our little cars would make it a whole new animal. Just look at the A45S in Europe right now. That's where the envy ends for me though. I'm 6'3 and 225lbs but the increase in size isn't what I need. I'll drive my wife's SUV around if I want a cavernous interior and body roll in the corners. I'm sure the '21 GLA45 is fantastic fun but it's no longer a hyper hatch. It's just another performance SUV in their lineup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts