Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2021 GLA250 owner question.
Just came back from MB service and was told that the clunking noise I hear during a gradual stop is normal which is unacceptable. Honestly, I told him that I would accept it if we could go drive another GLA250 but they did not have one available. What happened next still has me miffed. The service manager actually said that the GLA is an "entry level" MB and I shouldn't expect it to be like the GLC or other more costly MB SUV's. Needless to say, I blew a gasket and am not allowed back in the service center.

OK, should I accept the clacking U-joint noise (like an old Chevy Impala) when it shifts down from 3rd, 2nd and 1st gear. The concierge in the main sales department said that MB actually used Nissan transmissions in some of the 2021 models. This is our first purchase of a Mercedes Benz and after owning five BMW's, I'm not to thrilled with my wife's GLA250 decision...

Does anyone else have this issue in their 2021 or newer GLA250?

Thanks for letting me vent.

· Registered
315 Posts
The service manager isn’t wrong. A small clunk on downshifting has been normal in the GLA and CLA since gen 1. You’re probably not allowed back in because you went in uninformed and worked yourself up and they don’t want to hear yet another complaint from someone expecting way more out of ‘the star’ then they get just because of the 3 points on the grill… I speculate customers like you are a weighing reason why MB is getting out of the ‘low end’/entry level market, not worth the headache…

And btw the Nissan transmission you’re talking about is a Daimler product licensed to Nissan.. so other way around, Nissan uses Mercedes transmissions. The new Z has it…

· Super Moderator
2,218 Posts
It is a DCT, no torque converter. It's a computer controlling a clutch. Generally these transmissions are used for more aggressive sports car driving styles and not for casual slow deceleration.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I'm not mistaken, MB is leaning heavily into the "low end" market with the emphasis on the GLA line. In the scheme of things, $52K for a SUV w/out sunroof, std 18" rims and subpar entertainment sys is not what I would consider entry level. Right after the service mgr set the low expectations, I fired back that his remark was unacceptable because the brand is still on the grill. If you are not going to honor the quality, then drop the line and then determine how many AMG's you need to sell to fill the void. Point being, they know that they have to play in this market space so why not do it well and protect the brand.

I really appreciate your feedback and I wish I would have done more research prior to this purchase. My wife loved her X1 but there was very little changes done over the last five years and as you know, a new one would be like driving the same car for another five years. Lesson learned.

BTW, in fifteen years, I've never heard a BMW service manager dismiss an X1 problem as you know, it's a BMW entry level problem. Just saying.

I also have a DCT in my 11 year old 1M (which has never had downshift clunks).

Ok, I'm really done vetting this time and will just turn up the volume during downshifts:rolleyes:.

Thanks,

· Registered
1 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, MB is leaning heavily into the "low end" market with the emphasis on the GLA line. In the scheme of things, $52K for a SUV w/out sunroof, std 18" rims and subpar entertainment sys is not what I would consider entry level. Right after the service mgr set the low expectations, I fired back that his remark was unacceptable because the brand is still on the grill. If you are not going to honor the quality, then drop the line and then determine how many AMG's you need to sell to fill the void. Point being, they know that they have to play in this market space so why not do it well and protect the brand.

I really appreciate your feedback and I wish I would have done more research prior to this purchase. My wife loved her X1 but there was very little changes done over the last five years and as you know, a new one would be like driving the same car for another five years. Lesson learned.

BTW, in fifteen years, I've never heard a BMW service manager dismiss an X1 problem as you know, it's a BMW entry level problem. Just saying.

I also have a DCT in my 11 year old 1M (which has never had downshift clunks).

Ok, I'm really done vetting this time and will just turn up the volume during downshifts:rolleyes:.

Thanks,
Thanks for the advice. By the way, I also have DCT.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drove around the block with the tech and he noted the downshift "clunk" and believed that there was an update available. Six hours later, no update and same ole clunk.
Bottom line: I should never have left the BMW lot. This is unacceptable in so many ways...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts