Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cylinder head was replaced the first time at 15000 miles, the second time at 29000 miles. My question is has anyone attempted lemon law on this vehicle or do I have to wait for it to be done for the third time. Also have any of you attempted to get compensated for the diminished value of the vehicle? I am very frustrated with this car, and I have a hard time trusting it to get my wife across the desert ( California to Arizona) to see the grandkids. While it is not the $100,000 Mercedes, if they are going to put their name on it, it should be better than what I received.

· Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
Wow, you certainly are entitled to feel underwhelmed by Mercedes "the best or nothing."

At least they were able to rectify under warranty, so although twice aggravating loss of service spans it was again made right.

I'm not an attorney but my layman's understanding of lemon law is that it only applies if the problem is not reasonably resolved and in your case it was, albeit twice.

btw: I had my MY2018 12V lead-acid battery replaced at one year and again just recently (alas 2nd out of warranty). So it is possible to get a defective part. These vehicles being ever more 'world cars' who knows from whence parts originate. One can only hope the vendor source inspectors do their job, but even then typically a random sampling.

· Registered
2020 GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
221 Posts
So many people have had this issue on the forum; you're the first I've heard it has happened twice to. I advise all members report this issue to Mercedes-Benz corporate and NHTSA or whatever governing body exists in your region. Hopefully, this will trigger a recall and have all the cars fixed.
if you're wondering why one hasn't been issued yet, my guess is that it's cheaper for MB to warranty the cars that happen to have the problem as opposed to all vehicles that may or may not. Keep in mind that the M260 engine is used identically in the A, CLA and GLA and 35 AMG models, so MB would have to replace an insane number of these sizeable parts. It's easier to warranty the (relatively) small percentage that have an issue and hope that the government doesn't force a recall.

It's all gonna be fine for now, but first round of A-classes from 2018 and the first round of CLAs from 2019 are probably finishing up their warranties right around now. I don't even want to think of how much this job costs out of pocket. we'll probably start seeing a few of these cars pop up at low prices as "non-running" or "mechanic special" as owners get try to get rid of them quickly before word spreads.

· Registered
2020 GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
221 Posts
From my tracking this is not happening to the original models. It seems that everyone who has reported this has been 2021 on. Am I wrong?
Supplier change could be responsible for that. Maybe after coovid, MB had to enlist another supplier to manufacture those engine parts, and those ones are faulty or less durable. Majority of the posts on this issue are from the USA, which might not mean anything but is something to consider (unless users are majority American).

· Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2021 GLA and I have not had any problems like you described. I purchased it summer of 2022 from the dealership. I have close to 32k miles on it.
Yes, please keep records of everything. I understand your frustration. Having a reliable car is very important.

I hope you have good news for us soon. Even if it's MB agreeing to a trade in or something to your advantage.

· Registered
2 Posts
The cylinder head was replaced the first time at 15000 miles, the second time at 29000 miles. My question is has anyone attempted lemon law on this vehicle or do I have to wait for it to be done for the third time. Also have any of you attempted to get compensated for the diminished value of the vehicle? I am very frustrated with this car, and I have a hard time trusting it to get my wife across the desert ( California to Arizona) to see the grandkids. While it is not the $100,000 Mercedes, if they are going to put their name on it, it should be better than what I received.
I have had this happen twice as well with two replaced engines. And this past Friday, the engine started knocking (sounded like another rod issue) so it’s in the shop. I believe two fixes on a major part like an engine starts to trigger lemon law. I’m looking into it. The GLA needs to be recalled…

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had this happen twice as well with two replaced engines. And this past Friday, the engine started knocking (sounded like another rod issue) so it’s in the shop. I believe two fixes on a major part like an engine starts to trigger lemon law. I’m looking into it. The GLA needs to be recalled…
Good luck on getting it resolved. Please keep us posted on the process.

· Super Moderator
2,218 Posts
I've watched other cars (and industries) for a lot of years.

I was dealing with a machinery manufacturer in Korea for many years. One of their men did a great job and got promoted. The new guy didn't understand all the procedures and we suddenly got into problems with one axis of motion not holding square. This was a painful expensive problem. It turned out the new guy wasn't clamping the linear guide to the machine surface before bolting it down. A simple thing with major consequences.

I saw the same thing in the paper industry when a mill making special paper moved to save costs. They didn't realize the guy who sat at one station chewed tobacco and spit the tannin into the bin he sat at, resulting in the special paper being special. That was another disaster.

Now think about all the complexities of a modern car and all the people and production stations that got screwed with during Covid.

L

1 - 13 of 13 Posts