Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks sorry for the silly question but I’m trying to find out which 4Matic system the 2019 AMG GLA45 has? The reason I ask is that I thought it was the basic permanent 4 wheel drive system 50/50 split but I’m not sure because I’ve noticed a lot more wear on the rear tires so was wondering if more power is actually going to the rear as that is not my understanding.

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
Things can change quickly so I'll speak only to the 2017 ...

Primary power is channeled to the front wheels. This gives the highest efficiency and best mpgs. If the stability management system detects potential slippage then some power will be sent to the back. This is limited to a maximum of 50%.

Is the wear evenly distributed across the tire or only in the center or one side? Is the tire wear scalloped or the same around the circumference? Are both ready tires wearing equally?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wear is even and equal on both rear tires. This car has the AMG Performance 4Matic variable I assume? Strange then since majority is given to the front. Ok no biggie I guess

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coincidently today I saw my first 2021 GLA45 in the flesh. Our 2019 side by side looks miniature in comparison and as you all know I’m sure a completely different beast. It actually reminds me of Porsche Macan from the side. Definitely looks like an SUV and I’m sure will appeal more to the North American masses compared to older versions. My wife didn’t like the look of the rear but we both loved the new rounded front. One thing I realized it comes with the new 4Matic+ which apparently under curtain situations will put 100% bias to the rear for a true sports car feel. Something I think is a big plus over the 2019. My wife suggested we could trade in for this new model but I’m on the fence. Besides that’s an expense I’m not interested in. I think I still prefer the sport hatch look of the older models and it’s distinct aggressive lines and smaller size. Anyway it was interesting I see one in the flesh for the first time. It’s a beautiful SUV.

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
It doesn't appeal to us and therefore glad we have the 2018 "CUV" form (actually two). 😉 But I do understand that the masses want an SUV and so ....
Coincidently today I saw my first 2021 GLA45 in the flesh. Our 2019 side by side looks miniature in comparison and as you all know I’m sure a completely different beast. It actually reminds me of Porsche Macan from the side. Definitely looks like an SUV and I’m sure will appeal more to the North American masses compared to older versions. My wife didn’t like the look of the rear but we both loved the new rounded front. One thing I realized it comes with the new 4Matic+ which apparently under curtain situations will put 100% bias to the rear for a true sports car feel. Something I think is a big plus over the 2019. My wife suggested we could trade in for this new model but I’m on the fence. Besides that’s an expense I’m not interested in. I think I still prefer the sport hatch look of the older models and it’s distinct aggressive lines and smaller size. Anyway it was interesting I see one in the flesh for the first time. It’s a beautiful SUV.

·
Super Moderator
908 Posts
We like the older style of a more sports car looking with the windshield more laid back and not so much straight up like the new model. Did not want an SUV but liked the crossover styling. The lease is running out in May 2022 on the 2019. The dealer has sent me the 2022 GLA Ordering Guide hoping I will order a 2022 GLA before the end of the year to be here when the lease runs out. No big change from 2021, maybe an item added or removed from a package. A few packages do not have prices otherwise everything has prices.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we purchased ours and happy with it so no need to change and the lower sports car feel suits my driving style. It was funny the owner of the 2021 saw me looking at his and was so excited telling me how fast it is and how low it is to the ground, I told him I have a 2019 but you can tell he didn’t hear me or didn’t care lol, I wanted to say what part of it is low to the ground lol. Anyway didn’t want to steal his thunder you could tell he loved it and probably wouldn’t recognized a 2019 model if he saw it. He certainly didn’t even notice mine parked a few cars back from his. The 2019 has been very reliable so far my only niggle is the beautiful black paint seems so thin and chips and scratches so easily

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Coincidently today I saw my first 2021 GLA45 in the flesh.(she is a big girl, but "in the fleish" )hehe One thing I realized it comes with the new 4Matic+ which apparently under curtain situations will put 100% bias to the rear for a true sports car feel. This is perhaps Drift Mode? Something I think is a big plus over the 2019. You got to drive it side by side, sweet!
OP's actual question remains unanswered though, do we know which variant 4matic the 45 got? how that variant has faired in other, more popular vehicles,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OP's actual question remains unanswered though, do we know which variant 4matic the 45 got? how that variant has faired in other, more popular vehicles,
Cheers for that.. sorry my post may have been misleading I haven’t actually driven the 2021 I just saw one in the flesh for the first time. I saw that it had the 4Matic+ badging so looked it up. Your probably right that is most likely drift mode which would be a lot of fun and more suited on the older models too bad…according to the Mercedes website it looks like my 2019 has variable 4Matic which someone noted is basically front wheel drive unless traction is required from the back tires. To bad being a hot hatch and AMG you’d want some fun and biase on the rear lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
When I dynoed my car, with the tuning chip active, the system must have been on at 50/50 all the time under power because the car ran outside of dyno mode. With the chip disconnected, we could not get it to run with dyno mode off.

Point being first off, you can impact the torque steering easily with a tune if desired.

Second, I wear my tires MUCH faster in the front. Suggesting that even if my TCS is quick to send power to the back, for daily driving I still roll in FWD most of the time. Which I frankly find suitable.

-------------

What I DON'T want to have happen, for sure, whether on track or freeway offramp, is for the car to understeer. And even with FWD, Even with max torque 50% to the back, the car does not understeer.

I have duplicated this one time on a freeway onramp in the rain and again, no understeer. So I am OK with their implementation of 4matic. No understeer, save the rear tires, better mpg. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
4matic has 5 different transfer cases depending on the vehicle. The GLA uses the transfer case referred to as ‘torque on demand’ that variably distributes torque between the front and rear axle depending upon driving conditions. In contrast, for example, the C/E class get a transfer case that makes it ‘permanent all-wheel drive’ with a 45/55 split.
Then 4matic+ is continuously variable, but you can lock it in 0/100 with drift mode.. unfortunately the GLA does not get this mode like the true hot hatch A45s cousin. All this info was pulled from the link below…

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree the newer the GLAs are, the more SUVs like they look like instead of the original lower crossover look. I personally don't want a high SUV look and I really like my GLA '2016 so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
It's a matter of what you're looking for. My wife wanted smaller than the Lexus she had. I tried pushing the idea of a Macan but MPGs didn't work for her. And she felt it was too big. So the GLA45 was the right fit. In fact, the outline of the 45 is very close to my 997. But if we still had a family of kids to haul around the extra size would be helpful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes definitely. For me it was my reentry to having a car after 10y+ without, living in big cities (Paris and Sydney). I wanted something small enough to fit in an urban environment but still with enough space to fit a pram in the boot, with a sporty look and allowing me to still go in the dirty roads on the weekend roadtrips. Glad I found my GLA :)

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
The Macan is of course very nice and I was pushing for it myself but my wife also thought it was too big (essentially a roof "chopped" Audi Q5). She also found it higher to step into than the GLA although I believe at least on paper near identical in this regard. As I've said too many times now we really like the "CUV" profile of the pre-2020 model vs. the "full SUV" of the current model.
It's a matter of what you're looking for. My wife wanted smaller than the Lexus she had. I tried pushing the idea of a Macan but MPGs didn't work for her. And she felt it was too big. So the GLA45 was the right fit. In fact, the outline of the 45 is very close to my 997. But if we still had a family of kids to haul around the extra size would be helpful.

·
Registered
255 Posts
agree with Erwan, and the rest of you. I've not been able to visit this site as much these days, but I prefer the, "up to '20" versions of the GLA45 here in the USA. I was confused when I saw the new GLA 45, or A45S? I believe here in the US you get this bigger SUV thing (GLA45 only), and then I wonder how that fits with a GLB?????:rolleyes: But in Europe (elsewhere?) the S version is pretty similar to our more hot hatch look. The new GLA 45 here I believe is around 3-400 lbs heavier. I'd much rather keep my body style and tune it to add to the high flow air I added, way better performance.

Here in the US I can only think of "bigger is better" mentality for what they are offering. Too bad from my perspective, it was all the attributes of the smaller, more hatch like vehicle that I found perfect. MB keeps offering me "upgrades"....the most recent this year is the GLB after I wasn't biting on a AMG GLC. The GLB has 3rd row seating (it's not that big, would likely be useless/aweful). 😥 We don't have kids, I have no use for a vehicle like that.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Registered
6 Posts
4matic has 5 different transfer cases depending on the vehicle. The GLA uses the transfer case referred to as ‘torque on demand’ that variably distributes torque between the front and rear axle depending upon driving conditions. In contrast, for example, the C/E class get a transfer case that makes it ‘permanent all-wheel drive’ with a 45/55 split.
Then 4matic+ is continuously variable, but you can lock it in 0/100 with drift mode.. unfortunately the GLA does not get this mode like the true hot hatch A45s cousin. All this info was pulled from the link below…

Q. How is the Transfer Case and Front Differential lubricated in the GLA45?

Font Science Circle Astronomical object Stock photography

·
Registered
188 Posts
It’s part of the transmission, and why the AMG Dynamic Package is highly sought after by enthusiasts bc this was the only was to get the Limited Slip Front Differential (LSD) from the factory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts