Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I tried searching, could not find anything.

I live in northern Canada, I bought this vehicle last year used with 38000kms (2019 GLA250 4matic AMG trim), I barely drive this myself because I bought it for my wife and kids.

Mid December, -26C the engine only gets to 60-70C driving 50-60km/h. on the highway doing 110km/h the engine shows 75-78C.

Now the main issue is that I'm fighting frost, you push the max defrost button, the side windows and the front windshield starts to defrost, then I turn the max defrost off and get maybe 8-10 min before I HAVE to turn it back on or my vision is hindered by frost. Also if I turn OFF my fan, the heat will go up to 85C but goes back to what I stated earlier when ON.

Brought the car to the dealership, service advisor told me that this car thermostat does run like this and is very normal do do very little heat for this engine. I do fix older cars/truck/suv often for heat issues, and most of them will reach 95 to 98C fan on or off once the thermostat has been changed.

Anyways going back to what the dealer found... nothing wrong with the engine, but the actuator motor for air distribution flap was malfunctioning, they did a reset and relearn.
still having frost issues, we live in winter 3/4 of the year, after 20 min of warm up by the remote app the inside of the car is still frozen solid, but yet I was told this is normal.

How is my wife and young kids supposed to use this car for winter, when your fighting frost on and off while driving, and the car won't warm up from cold start???

Is this normal to any of you guys, I'm trying to see if this can be fixed or, I will have to trade this car for something that will fit our need??

·
Super Moderator
786 Posts
Our MY2018 takes a very long time to cool down in the garage after most any drive so for someone to indicate that this hard working 4-banger doesn't produce much heat doesn't make sense to me. I think you need a 2nd opinion.

Have them check the usual suspects of thermostat, air bubbles trapped in radiator, water pump, cabin air filter & circulation fan/distribution actuators (latter it appears they did check/replace).

Our Winters aren't on average as cold as yours but we've 'enjoyed' some of your very cold air of late, and will again this weekend, and ours works fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our MY2018 takes a very long time to cool down in the garage after most any drive so for someone to indicate that this hard working 4-banger doesn't produce much heat doesn't make sense to me. I think you need a 2nd opinion.

Have them check the usual suspects of thermostat, air bubbles trapped in radiator, water pump, cabin air filter & circulation fan/distribution actuators (latter it appears they did check/replace).

Our Winters aren't on average as cold as yours but we've 'enjoyed' some of your very cold air of late, and will again this weekend, and ours works fine.
Yeah its a bit hard going to the dealer and being told that is Normal, when I have other cars at home or at my second house that has zero issues like this, all inline 4's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts