Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to replace front run-flat tires on our FL-based FWD GLA250. It was pulling to one side but the alignment checked out as on-spec. Tech then took a drive and confirmed the pull. Upon closer examination one of the OE tires showed signs of adverse aging-wear. I cite "aging" as the vehicle only has ~4k miles on it (mostly due to pandemic isolation).
A good reminder that tires are an age maintenance item as much/more so than mileage. Five years is the rule of thumb longevity.
Oh, and $425 per tire incl balance/tax at the dealership. But then pricier run-flats.

Just recently had to have the battery replaced too (once at one-year old and now again). Vehicles really like to be road-run vs. sitting for extended periods, even if periodically started and charged.
'B' service just performed as well. $$$

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I have seen many reports that the batteries generally have a shorter life in FL cars. This is because the heat affects the battery life, they are saying.

Is the car parked outside, in a garage, or under a cover? If outside and parked for long times, I wonder if a cover over the tires would be good to extend the life. As they would be protected from weather and UV. Yes, five years is the recommended life of tires. I once had a garage queen where the tires were over 20 years old and always had a dressing on them after washing. Did not show aging and cracks. Would I have taken out at highway speeds, no?

Reactions: Huey52

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just again went with the 19" OE Continental Pro Contact GX SSR Grand Touring, which the dealership had on-hand.

The vehicle resides in an underground parking garage, but not climate controlled (other than innately in the shade and a bit subterranean).

Can I ask what mfr. and model run flat tires you selected?
I have continental pro contact TX SSR with 35k mileage that will soon need replacement.
Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts