Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a US-spec 2018 GLA250 4MATIC with homelink, and I’ve been able to link it pretty easily with my garage door opener (looks like that used to be a huge chore but happily it was easy). A quick press of the button opens my garage door just fine.

But I’d like to press it again to shut the door after I pull out and the car is pointed away from the door. I live in San Francisco and it’s smart not to leave it open even for a few minutes to close automatically behind you. Any insights?

It may be that the signal is projected only forward. It may be that the signal is “open only” and I need to program another button to close. Perhaps it’s something else. Any insight would be helpful, and thank you in advance!

· Registered
315 Posts
It should be the same button to open & close. Sometimes it needs a little bit of a depress vs just a quick click. I believe the (green?) led on the bottom of the mirror should be rapidly flashing when you depress the button to indicate signal is being sent.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be the same button to open & close. Sometimes it needs a little bit of a depress vs just a quick click. I believe the (green?) led on the bottom of the mirror should be rapidly flashing when you depress the button to indicate signal is being sent.
Thank you! I’ll try it some more and see if I’m just not pressing long or firmly enough.

· Registered
2020 GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
221 Posts
what brand is the motor for your garage door? How old is it and do you have the same reception problem with the handheld remote?
You may need to extend the receiver antenna on the motor itself to give it a longer range. This had to be done on mine a few years ago, the door wouldn't open unless you were on the driveway and very close to the door. Called a company, they sent a guy to put a longer range antenna and it has a good range now.

In my experience, HomeLink has a slightly shorter range or less sensitivity (ie. I have to press the button for longer to initiate a command whereas a quick press of the button on the remote is good enough). This could be a security thing, but my guess is that the HomeLink antenna is built into the rear view mirror (on MB at least) so it has less "view" than the remote on the visor

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what brand is the motor for your garage door? How old is it and do you have the same reception problem with the handheld remote?
You may need to extend the receiver antenna on the motor itself to give it a longer range. This had to be done on mine a few years ago, the door wouldn't open unless you were on the driveway and very close to the door. Called a company, they sent a guy to put a longer range antenna and it has a good range now.

In my experience, HomeLink has a slightly shorter range or less sensitivity (ie. I have to press the button for longer to initiate a command whereas a quick press of the button on the remote is good enough). This could be a security thing, but my guess is that the HomeLink antenna is built into the rear view mirror (on MB at least) so it has less "view" than the remote on the visor
No issues with the remote. The opener looks pretty old; it was here when I moved in. I’ll bet it’s an antenna issue. I tried again today, and it opens fine when the car is pointed at the door opener inside the garage, or when I’m pulling up to the garage to back in. But it doesn’t seem to work when the front of the car is pointed away from the door opener.

· Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
I recently replaced/upgraded my garage door openers to the more commercial-grade Liftmaster. I prior had their box store contractor-grade and the remote range was very close. But with these new openers a dramatically more distant remote control, to include a nice WiFi-App capability. So I too would suspect the receiver/antenna on your older openers and not the Benz Homelink itself.
No issues with the remote. The opener looks pretty old; it was here when I moved in. I’ll bet it’s an antenna issue. I tried again today, and it opens fine when the car is pointed at the door opener inside the garage, or when I’m pulling up to the garage to back in. But it doesn’t seem to work when the front of the car is pointed away from the door opener.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, I have a US-spec 2018 GLA250 4MATIC with homelink, and I’ve been able to link it pretty easily with my garage door opener (looks like that used to be a huge chore but happily it was easy). A quick press of the button opens my garage door just fine.

But I’d like to press it again to shut the door after I pull out and the car is pointed away from the door. I live in San Francisco and it’s smart not to leave it open even for a few minutes to close automatically behind you. Any insights?

It may be that the signal is projected only forward. It may be that the signal is “open only” and I need to program another button to close. Perhaps it’s something else. Any insight would be helpful, and thank you in advance!
Hey everyone, turns out this is a combination of a slightly weak signal and user error/impatience. When I hold the button and/or press a couple of times, the garage door closes as it should. Thanks for all the responses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts