Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I wanted to use a usb to play music in my GLA. I have added music to a usb to see if it worked and it didn't so I checked and it was formatted as exfat instead of fat32. I put my usb into my Mac and it doesn't recognise it. I got a new USB formatted it correctly and added some music on to check and it turns out it has now corrupted that one. Anyone else had this issue? I can't keep buying USB drives to add new music too.

This is the USB I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015CH1GTO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
710 Posts
Sandisk is a long known good USB "thumb drive" and SDHC card manufacturer, but of course it's possible to get a flawed one. I don't have a thumb drive at the moment but continually update an SD card [for a MY2016 Audi] via my 2017 Mac running under Big Sur, however it is formatted MS-DOS FAT16 (not FAT32). Perhaps this is the issue?
You should always be able to use the Disk Utility program to reformat your original drive as well as others. Since most of these in-vehicle entertainment systems are data read-only it's difficult to conceive how the GLA could corrupt a USB drive itself.
What model and year GLA do you have? If 2020+ perhaps Benz transitioned to USB-C from prior standard and you have a connection fault, although having said that a far different form-fit and Benz is slower than most to transition such tech.
btw: I use the excellent 3rd party "Export for iTunes" App to transfer files from my Mac to the SD card, and thumb drive should be the same.
btw(2): I keep a FAT32 formatted SDHC card in my Mac most of the time for greater backup compatibility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put the usb in my Mac and it doesn’t show, neither does it on my windows pc. It’s is completely fried. I have a 2018 gla matic. I found another person who had a similar issue and it’s something to do with only liking usb2

·
Super Moderator
710 Posts
As you may know, the USB 2.0 standard was introduced in 2000 so it's strange that a 2018 Benz would not have transitioned to at least USB 3.0 introduced in 2008. I did cite however that Benz is slow to adopt newer technologies/standards. 🤷‍♂️
I put the usb in my Mac and it doesn’t show, neither does it on my windows pc. It’s is completely fried. I have a 2018 gla matic. I found another person who had a similar issue and it’s something to do with only liking usb2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts