Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else has run into this. I took delivery of my 2018 GLA last weekend and noticed this minor issue. There is finish peeling off black plastic switches and also film bubbling and peeing off the park button on shifter. It’s very odd, I’ve never run into this before on other cars. Car is under original warranty and then CPO warranty and extended warranty. I’ve contacted MB about this and they advised having a local dealer take a look.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Hand cream has been blamed for this on other (non MB) car Forums. People who use hand lotion tend to have this problem. People who don't use hand lotion don't have this problem. Just saying ...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have one little nick in one of my driver window buttons, but it came with the car when purchased as CPO. Haven’t had anything issues since my ownership, and if Wayne is onto something, I don’t use hand lotion. I’d be pretty annoyed if I took delivery of a CPO and all those buttons looked like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Probably the most annoying is the peeling film on the shifter park button. Seems like that would be the harder piece to fix.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
100 Posts
I don't use hand lotion, but this happened in my Audi...after probably 100k miles! It seems that a CPO isn't supposed to show that much use.

I use hand sanitizer a lot, even long before the pandemic, so maybe that (or just lots of miles and use) contributed.

There are a bunch of aftermarket switch covers available on ebay and amazon (such as Switch Button Sticker Accessories For Mercedes-Benz C-class GLA/CLA/GLK/GL/ML/GL | eBay). Maybe there's something you can use?

·
Super Moderator
690 Posts
Hand sanitizer, being primarily isopropyl alcohol, is a fairly aggressive solvent. I often use it to remove labels on finish lumber for instance.
I think we're all adversely/prematurely wearing such button coatings in favor of sanitization these days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have similar peeling on my park button, right around the "P". I've looked into getting a replacement button, but from what I can find, the whole shifter is sold as one piece.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sanitizer, other than the alcohol has a "gelling" agent, probably the same one as in lotions..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hand cream has been blamed for this on other (non MB) car Forums. People who use hand lotion tend to have this problem. People who don't use hand lotion don't have this problem. Just saying ...
Hand sanitizer, being primarily isopropyl alcohol, is a fairly aggressive solvent. I often use it to remove labels on finish lumber for instance.
I think we're all adversely/prematurely wearing such button coatings in favor of sanitization these days.
Very possible IMO. My 2015 was flawless on the interior, except one item. The drivers headrest has a light round "difference" than the rest of the seat. It's the AMG sport seats, not the recaros offered at the time. A lady owned my vehicle prior and I attribute this to whatever chemicals/sprays she was using in her hair. I can put leather conditioner on it and it goes away for a couple days, but always returns.

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
Very possible IMO. My 2015 was flawless on the interior, except one item. The drivers headrest has a light round "difference" than the rest of the seat. It's the AMG sport seats, not the recaros offered at the time. A lady owned my vehicle prior and I attribute this to whatever chemicals/sprays she was using in her hair. I can put leather conditioner on it and it goes away for a couple days, but always returns.
You might check on finding a person who can do a refinish of the headrest. I found a guy at a dealer used car lot who travel from lot to lot doing refinishing of the interior of cars came in on a trade the dealer want to resale and touch up. Same as Paint-Less Dent repairs guys. Had him do the driver's seat boosters where they were worn.

Reactions: Wayne

·
Registered
435 Posts
my P also peeled. I never got around to gluing it back down, then took the car to the dealer for service and they broke that sucker right off. Now my P doesn't have a piece in the middle of the lobe.

Now more around it is starting to lift up. We'll see how much the dealer butchers the button this time around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts