Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Less. I expect 2.5k for four corners and have a quote for about 1.3k for just the fronts. That is dealer pricing. Our brakes are NOT cheap.

which is why I tagged along with a coworker to do his brakes for training, then bought all the tools and material to do brakes by myself.

spent about $700 in material for 4 corners and maybe $500 in tools (I bought very fancy jack stands for $350) and now I will never pay for a brake job again. AND, I got race pads and fluid while I was at it.

Brakes are so easy and un-messy to do including fluid.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have learned to dislike strong brake bite. I like a nice linear ramp with endless braking the harder I push. Way more predictable.

If I had a street-only car and these were cheaper than OEM I'd give it a go for sure.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm using Hawk HPS 5.0. they do what I need for now. I don't give a fig for rotor life or dust (or these days frankly, noise), so if I go for EBC it will be yellowstuff min or stronger. As it is I have more traction than braking, so pretty sure the greenstuff won't keep up.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I just did my rears too, I failed tech inspection with 2mm on the pads. The cost was comparable. I did it myself though.

I bought the parts from ebay, supposedly OEM Genuine. They 'look' the part. The pads are Textar which seems to be Merc OEM. In retrospect I wish I put in Hawk HPS, but doesn't matter.

I saved about $100 on parts compared to you.

I use Motul RBF600 which adds another $20 for the bleed/semi flush.

Labor is free.

--------------

It was my first time replacing 1-piston brakes. Holy smokes they are easy. I started at 10 PM (kids to bed first), didn't have the car on jackstands until 10:30, but I was coming back from bedding just before midnight. They go in QUICK.

The OEMs bed SO easy too compared to Hawk. Basically no bedding at all, frankly.

------------

Anyways, that puts total savings at about $450 compared to your ticket there. The bulk of the cost is the rotors, they are not common parts. If we could find a decent replacement low cost rotor for the back, the brakes could be done super cheap, even with Hawk pads.

·
Registered
636 Posts
balancing track day with DD is a big ask, but I suppose dropping pads in is proly more than a half hour job
Problem is track pad suppliers (there is near-zero selection for GLA45) say don't mix their pads with others, so that means the rotors have to be swapped too which makes it super annoying.

The other problem is everyone has a different definition of balancing DD vs track. Most people want no dust. Others want no noise. Or both (as if you can have your cake and eat it too). Or want it to be gentle on rotors. etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts