Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our 2017 CPO GLA 250 just over a year ago. It's equipped with all the options we wanted other than not having the LED headlight package. During the year we've managed to put 12,000 miles on the car, almost all of them on several short trips of less than 300 miles. We like the car a lot. It's perfect for a couple of retired empty nesters like us. That said, I have begun to think I should have chosen the 2018 model since it was "refreshed" for that year. Looking around the Internet to see what's out there I found a CPO 2018 GLA 250 in the color my wife really wanted (Jupiter Red - ours is Night Black) with the same options ours has plus the "Parking Assist" package, and about 8,000 fewer miles on the clock. Unfortunately, the '18 doesn't have the LED headlights either, but I'm willing to look past that. So - is the 2018 model really enough of an upgrade over the 2017 to make the change worthwhile? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
694 Posts
Most likely they will offer you the wholesale value of 2017 and you will buy 2018 at retail value. Is it worth paying several thousand dollars for one option and a different color? You will pick up one more year of warranty depending on when the cars were first registered. I have 2019 with Park Assist and have never used it but do like the 360 rearview camera view that comes with Park Assist. I turned in a 2016 GLA 250 lease for the 2019 GLA250 lease and found almost no difference.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely they will offer you the wholesale value of 2017 and you will buy 2018 at retail value. Is it worth paying several thousand dollars for one option and a different color? You will pick up one more year of warranty depending on when the cars were first registered. I have 2019 with Park Assist and have never used it but do like the 360 rearview camera view that comes with Park Assist. I turned in a 2016 GLA 250 lease for the 2019 GLA250 lease and found almost no difference.
I get the numbers game in the car business, and have no trouble walking away if those numbers don't work for me. Doing the research and staying "almost" as unemotional as the dealer helps, as does lots of experience. I'm sure you know all that stuff. Your other arguments make sense and are why I asked the question of this group. If the 2018 year "refresh" plus yes, getting the color the wife likes, isn't worth what I would have to spend, no deal. I don't care about park assist, but the 360-degree camera sounds pretty cool. Thanks for your input on that feature. Like you, I know how to parallel park!

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Another factor is the devil you know. You're happy with your current car. Do you really know the other one hasn't been abused? That comes down to your comfort level with risks.

·
Super Moderator
509 Posts
This is a video that I appreciated when shopping our 2018. Quite good considering a dealership segment and does point out the changes fairly objectively. Some excellent tech additions as also mentioned above but mostly a "facelift" which happens in all marques over time to maintain interest in a model.

I think gbarringer's insight is particular apropos as 'been there, done that.'

So, I'm with others in not seeing the ROI in swapping "up" a single year, despite this 2018 "refresh", and also as Wayne cites that you well know your present vehicle at this point.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Unless you don’t have NTG 5/5.5 which im pretty sure every 2017 has, I’d say it wouldn’t be worth it. Unless you don’t like the new body style/more true SUV look, maybe wait a year and try to pick up a lightly used MY20/21? Mbux and a few other things would be considered big steps up IMO.

I personally upgraded my 2015 GLA 45 to a 2017 and there is a big difference between them, so I’d be condoning the upgrade if you had a 2015, but would say unless you’re looking at the GLA as long term ownership save the money to put towards the next car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a video that I appreciated when shopping our 2018. Quite good considering a dealership segment and does point out the changes fairly objectively. Some excellent tech additions as also mentioned above but mostly a "facelift" which happens in all marques over time to maintain interest in a model.

I think gbarringer's insight is particular apropos as 'been there, done that.'

So, I'm with others in not seeing the ROI in swapping "up" a single year, despite this 2018 "refresh", and also as Wayne cites that you well know your present vehicle at this point.

Thanks for your input and for going through the trouble of sharing the video. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you don’t have NTG 5/5.5 which im pretty sure every 2017 has, I’d say it wouldn’t be worth it. Unless you don’t like the new body style/more true SUV look, maybe wait a year and try to pick up a lightly used MY20/21? Mbux and a few other things would be considered big steps up IMO.

I personally upgraded my 2015 GLA 45 to a 2017 and there is a big difference between them, so I’d be condoning the upgrade if you had a 2015, but would say unless you’re looking at the GLA as long term ownership save the money to put towards the next car.
I've seen references to NTG, but in all honesty I don't know what it is or how to find out what version I have. Also haven't researched it so that's on me. Any advice on that would be appreciated though!

Your point on holding off with an eye on getting something like a CPO 2021 is a good one. Thanks for that thought.

We test drove a low mile 2016 GLA and weren't impressed. Actually gave up on the GLA and started looking at the 2017 Infiniti QX30 Sport (I still like the look of that vehicle). Learned about the 2017 GLA updates/refresh, drove a couple, and bought one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts