Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery got drained because left car on. I boosted the car with a Kia. The car started up but I cannot shift out of P. There is check engine light on. I get the code P0105. also P0513...

Has this ever happened to anyone???

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have heard of this in the past, but not with GLAs and the column servo shifter. However, I Googled "mercedes stuck in park after dead battery" and got several videos that work with a console shift lever, but maybe there might be a clue with the various Google topics there.

If your GLA is still under warranty you have MB roadside service, which I personally would use since you’re getting error codes. Please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The battery got drained because left car on. I boosted the car with a Kia. The car started up but I cannot shift out of P. There is check engine light on. I get the code P0105. also P0513...

I got the same problem. My GLA 250 has nearly 70,000Km. Out of nothing one morning the main battery was totally dead. I busted and the engine started. I let it run for awhile and the gear shift would not engage. Some of the google answers suggested to replace the auxiliary battery which I did. No luck. Main battery passed the test. Towed it to Mercedes-Benz and the transmission control unit failed the test. It needed to be replaced. Cost $3,500. Still don’t know how this happened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have heard of this in the past, but not with GLAs and the column servo shifter. However, I Googled "mercedes stuck in park after dead battery" and got several videos that work with a console shift lever, but maybe there might be a clue with the various Google topics there.

If your GLA is still under warranty you have MB roadside service, which I personally would use since you’re getting error codes. Please let us know what happens.
I got the same problem. My GLA 250 has nearly 70,000Km. Out of nothing one morning the main battery was totally dead. I busted and the engine started. I let it run for awhile and the gear shift would not engage. Some of the google answers suggested to replace the auxiliary battery which I did. No luck. Main battery passed the test. Towed it to Mercedes-Benz and the transmission control unit failed the test. It needed to be replaced. Cost $3,500. Still don’t know how this happened.

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
I have a friend who boosted his Chevy Blazer. Immediately he lost one of the computers and the car would not operate properly. The dealer said boosting (aka jump starting) can cause voltage spikes that damage electronics. The recommendation from Chevy was to never jump start a modern car.

I'm not sure I agree with this but present it here as a possibility. Nevertheless, out of fear, I trickle charge weak batteries and no longer use my jumper cables.

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
I had to get AAA to jump start our Covid long absent FL FWD GLA as our Li-ion starter pack (now carried rather than jumper cables, but ...) was not up to the challenge. The recommendation to not do so is probably best but sometimes no choice. No issues from that jump since and it's been on a Battery Tender Jr. thereafter that incident.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts