Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my brand new 2016 GLA250 with the Premium Package and Multimedia Package with Smartphone Integration. My partner bought a 2014 CLA 250 and i'm in SHOCK at how horrible the sound quality is in my car compared to his. I know my car is slightly larger than his but you can hear and FEEL everything in his car and i'm just lost! At times i feel like i have no Sub-woofer or if I feel the BASS is acceptable I feel the Tweeters are extremely high where it almost hurts my ears and i'm forced to lower the volume.

What caught my attention the most about my car was the Apple CarPlay, but i was confused on why there is no Sound Settings in the CarPlay program, so i'm finding myself disconnecting my phone from the lightning cable and messing with the Equalizer setting in another Media source like Bluetooth or Sirius, which seems pretty stupid. Also not a fan that i cant change the song selected from my steering wheel. it just says APPLE CARPLAY ACTIVE and nothing else.

I had better sound quality in my Jetta TDI with a Fender sound system. My partner also has amazing clarity and BASS with just using his Bluetooth connection. so I'm thinking I MUST be missing something or my car has to be looked at.

I was able to find that i can enter the Dealer Mode/Engineer Mode by pushing the END CALL button, and Numbers 7 and 9 on my center console, but all the stuff in there I have no idea how it works...

Has anyone had this same issue with their sound system??

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Welcome to the forum Giovanni. Unfortunately my 2016 was built before Apple CarPlay came available (on or after 1 December 2015), so I can't speak to that. However, in my former C250, the volume level remained constant between the radio and Bluetooth from my iPhone. In the GLA250, the Bluetooth volume is much lower than radio source, even with the iPhone source maxed out as well as Bluetooth boost (I think that's what it's called) turned on in the audio system. It's a huge volume shock when you switch back from Bluetooth to radio, unless you turn down the volume first. Dealer assured me that's normal, I disagreed, but when they went to show me on their showroom GLA...that GLA's battery was dead. I simply gave up. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would like to know what logic 7 ON and OFF button do?
any system that dont have mid range knob will sound bad.
i have jbl sys in Prius and its much better sound and could adjust mid range on JBL.
c

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Giovanni,

I've got a 2016 45, with the HK system, and agree that for me it sounds terrible! I also was surprised there is no tone adjustment at all when using Carplay. It also seems that the system keeps independent settings for radio/disk/bluetooth, so even if you set it up there it doesn't carry over to carplay mode.

For me I agree it sounds like it doesn't have a subwoofer at all. The inability to change tracks via the steering wheel is also really annoying, especially if you are using maps for navigation, then have to exit out, enter into now playing, skip the track, then revert back to maps!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi Giovanni,

I've got a 2016 45, with the HK system, and agree that for me it sounds terrible! I also was surprised there is no tone adjustment at all when using Carplay. It also seems that the system keeps independent settings for radio/disk/bluetooth, so even if you set it up there it doesn't carry over to carplay mode.

For me I agree it sounds like it doesn't have a subwoofer at all. The inability to change tracks via the steering wheel is also really annoying, especially if you are using maps for navigation, then have to exit out, enter into now playing, skip the track, then revert back to maps!
if you extend your right hand and find/feel the volume knob there are two giant buttons to the right and left of the volume, these will change track for you without going through the menu.

The audio system is a hit or miss depending on your type of music... i really wished there was a built in equalizer like in my BMW Har/Kar system

·
Registered
140 Posts
Everyone is different but I'm satisfied with the HK system in my 15 GLA45. The car is generally noisier and the exhaust is loud, especially in S mode. I play mostly my music from a USB stick. Maybe it's the music source? Any music system can't improve a bad source.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got my GLA45 last week, and while my FM and satellite radio sounded great, music bluetoothed from my phone (music player, Spotify, Pandora, etc.) was initially horrendous (I have an Android Samsung S7 Edge). I think the sound settings were optimized for either the phone's built-in speakers and/or headphones, so I went into the sound settings in my phone, made some adjustments, and now everything sounds great through the car speakers.

Reactions: WhiteRabbit

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you have the HK, put this in the trunk also, set Logic7 on and set all Eq flat, sub volume @2/3 t o 3/4, crossover @80Hz. A very powerfull and depthy sound and IMHO better than previous B&O or Dynaudio systems I've had, they all needed this sub too!

Rather simple to wire up too, and "yes" it is running off the cigarette lighter.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
We have a 2015 GLA with the loaded HK sound etc. Not an audiophile at all. We generally use the Sirius HD (until the subscription will run out) and the 10GB Music Register where I now have 770 tracks from 55 CDs using 40% of the drive so far. Went to our library and chose lots of CDs. Will continue loading until full perhaps. Then when Sirius ends we are all set.

But... I thought it was me. For what I read about the upgraded sound et al - really felt as if it would be MB concert sound live-like. Don't get me wrong, it's fine - but not the "Oh Wow! Blow me away" sound. The sound system settings also seem quite basic. Other cars we had such as Lexus seemed to have more separation and a premium sounding output. I know some other premium brands market their systems as being developed for specific auto internal acoustics etc. Not sure if MB took that effort in the GLA, esp speaker placements/balance.

Again, NOT displeased, but expected a higher level for the extra seat-in-the-pants concert feel.

https://youtu.be/-uv1PxInJnY

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would like to know what logic 7 ON and OFF button do?
any system that dont have mid range knob will sound bad.
i have jbl sys in Prius and its much better sound and could adjust mid range on JBL.
c
Logic 7 is surround sound. You really need media that is recorded in true surround sound to hear the real effect. But, if you turn it on and off while listening to music, you can hear a slight difference in the sound.

You should have a mid-range adjustment on the HK system, my 2016 does.

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you have the HK, put this in the trunk also, set Logic7 on and set all Eq flat, sub volume @2/3 t o 3/4, crossover @80Hz. A very powerfull and depthy sound and IMHO better than previous B&O or Dynaudio systems I've had, they all needed this sub too!

Rather simple to wire up too, and "yes" it is running off the cigarette lighter.
A write up please. Any plug and play is good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It appears the source you are using can be the issue. I have an SD card loaded with about 120 CDs in individual folders. I have also used a USB stick; there seems to be no difference between that source and the SD card. The HK permits excellent adjustment of the sound including mid-range; you just have to call up the equaliser in the Media menu and twiddle the controls. The 12 speakers are pretty good IMHO. I don't notice a real difference with the Logic7 but I leave it on by default. I found using a bluetooth source, it appears you need to adjust the phone's output controls as the sound quality is ordinary.

My only criticism is that the bass could be better. A nice sub like the one Mercedes.AMG has installed may be a great mod.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am fascinated by the idea that the LOGIC7 system is able to produce true surround sound. Is it a multi channel/multi amplifier system? What could possibly be the source for this sound? Do you think I might be able to play an SACD disk in the disk player? Is there a decoder in the system that finds the surround channels and sends info to the correct speakers? There is an online seller of classical music called eclassical dot com. They claim that they will sell you SACD recordings, available by download, so that they are in a file, not burned on a disk-is it possible that these files, when saved on a thumbdrive will play as true surround sound on the system? If I can have true surround sound in my car, I might think about spending more time in it, maybe just parked in the driveway.

·
Registered
608 Posts
We have a 2015 GLA with the loaded HK sound etc. Not an audiophile at all. We generally use the Sirius HD (until the subscription will run out) and the 10GB Music Register where I now have 770 tracks from 55 CDs using 40% of the drive so far. Went to our library and chose lots of CDs. Will continue loading until full perhaps. Then when Sirius ends we are all set.

But... I thought it was me. For what I read about the upgraded sound et al - really felt as if it would be MB concert sound live-like. Don't get me wrong, it's fine - but not the "Oh Wow! Blow me away" sound. The sound system settings also seem quite basic. Other cars we had such as Lexus seemed to have more separation and a premium sounding output. I know some other premium brands market their systems as being developed for specific auto internal acoustics etc. Not sure if MB took that effort in the GLA, esp speaker placements/balance.

Again, NOT displeased, but expected a higher level for the extra seat-in-the-pants concert feel.

https://youtu.be/-uv1PxInJnY
Just curious-do you have a choice of audio resolution in Music Register? 55 CD's in 4 GB is probably close to 192 kbps. If you have a choice, 320 kbps might be better. I am old and probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 192 and 320, but younger ears might be able to. I would not choose 128 kbps, because even I can hear the difference. Perhaps part of what your missing in your listening experience is due to the low resolution, a feature unfortunately shared with Sirius, which offers variable bit rate that maxes out, so I'm told, at about 160 kbps. Lower bit rate inserts artifacts into the music, sometimes sounding like swishing noises.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The built-in Subwoofer was so weak, I had to see if it was actually working by feel and unplugging it.

For the amount we pay for our cars, they could have at least graced us with a beefier sound. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I was very disappointed with the sound on the HK on my 2016 gla 45. Playing around with audio controls, I found that turning the mid level adjustment down to zero and adjusting the other two to taste was a tremendous improvement!

·
Registered
43 Posts

Hi All,
Mercedes .AMG would you be able to shed a bit more info on how did you wire the Amp /subwoofer ? I'm after the signal from the radio/system . Did you get the signal from any of the speakers or wired it from the original Amplifier? Pictures will be nice or wire colour code as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello! I was very disappointed with the sound on the HK on my 2016 gla 45. Playing around with audio controls, I found that turning the mid level adjustment down to zero and adjusting the other two to taste was a tremendous improvement!
Ditto. Very disappointing. Equalizing makes it somewhat passable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts