Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2016 Gla 250. But concerned about the repair costs and reliability of the car. from what i hear the gla is fairly reliable compared to other Mercedes lines, is that the case? A friend of mine is a mechanic, I was wondering if getting him to do any repairs with aftermarket (non Mercedes) parts would be feasible?

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
I can't speak for all but with 27K miles on Pam's 2017 45 we have been trouble free.

There are lot of Indies who work on these cars. It seems like many on this Forum have DIYed their brakes and other things.

I've done all the routine maintenance myself so far although at 30K the transmission fluid comes up and from what I've read that requires a special MB computer for the refill.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Mercedes reliability and cost is questioned over the years, Between me and my wife we are on our 5th MB. I had a 2001 SLK 230 and traded it with 130k with only brakes, tires, oil changes, and other service items. Next was a 2007 SLK350 traded at 125k and other than the previous items and had the motor mounts and seat belt buckle replaced. Currently have a 2013 SLK 250 42k and problem-free. The wife had a 2016 GLA 250 and only oil change services and the battery replaced due to ECO firmware problems. Once the firmware was updated no more battery problems in 34k miles of the lease. She now has a 2019 GLA250 at 8.5k and problem-free. MB dealers do have high labor cost parts that can be a mix of cost and can be bought online at discounts.

DIY, indy, or dealer is what you want to do and able to do and an indy you can trust. When my MB goes out of warranty gets a little of all types of repair/service. I do take them in for service A at the milage MB says for service A. Currently that is 10k or 1 year which comes first. When the dealer does a service they will check for a complete check of the car, firmware updates, and service campaigns that they do free of charge. I figure once a year to a dealer is worth the little more cost. Service campaigns have been as simple as a missing warning label, a wire patch to prevent damage to wire loom, firmware update, and a cam sensor. When the dealer came to me that they wanted to something beyond service A I say no and then either DIY or go to my indy.

I will add a dealer can be a mixed bag to work with. Some are known as stealerships, some just act like they do not care and not easy to work with. I feel lucky that I have one of the good ones that care about customer care go the extra mile. When I take a car to get work I get a free loaner which is an MB with less than 6k on it, only return with gas in it as I picked it up. They do a free alignment check with a print out when I take it in for service and if the CEL does come on it is a free check as to why I have a CEL. finished with a free car wash.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've needed a new wheel bearing, rear hatch light replaced, driver door seal replaced twice, rear hatch switch replaced, new primary battery, new power seat controller. I think there is something wrong with the sub woofer but they disagree. Brakes started pulsing under load at around 40K (MB have become notorious for easily warped rotors since 2014). Rotor and pad replacement will be on my dime. The rest was covered under warranty. I have a CPO so my warranty was thankfully extended.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my humble opinion, there will always be those mechanics that are dirt cheap but delivers excellent quality repairs. I've encountered that through karlknudsen.com.au!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts