Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just want to document this incase it helps someone else. My 2016 GLA250's Battery completely failed. We had the car in for service b right before our warranty expired and then 4 weeks later this battery completely died. (sitting at 8.4 volts after charging all night). I asked Mercedes if they could honor a courtesy warranty replacement of the battery because it died so close to the warranty expiration. They said "maybe, but you need to pay $164 for a advisory diagnostic so that we can start the paper trail to try and get a battery comped". I said ok, that would be fine, but I dont want to pay $164 for you to tell me that the battery is dead and then spend $200 on a battery because this would be like paying for a battery twice. To which they responded; "no you will not pay twice". Fast forward an hour and they come out and confirm that the battery is in fact dead, and needs to be replaced and how would I like to pay the $564 for the replacement.... I said there must has been a miss communication here because I clearly told you what the issue was and only asked if this failed battery could be covered as a courtesy under warranty. To which they informed me that Mercedes Benz has a corporate policy to never extend courtesy warranty to Tires or Batteries. At this point I got quite upset, given that I had specifically asked this question... (I was also because it took 3 hours to come to this conclusion at a price 2.5x what it would cost to have the folks at autozone do it in 15 min)

The Mercedes Benz Service Associate told me when I asked how long this battery should have lasted; "Mercedes Batteries only last 4-5 years in the north east and only last 2-years in SouthWest. I do not know what universe this guy lives in, but my batteries have always lasted 7-8 years and sometimes longer in different cars. Regardless, Batteries certainly do not fail over the course of 2-3 days and instead slowly degrade.

If anyone out there is still under warranty, I would complain to MB service dealer that your batter is getting weak and have them replace it before your factory 4-year 50k miles warranty expires. Wish I had done that...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Worst part of this whole thing, they installed a battery manufactured in September 2019, which means it was a 5-month old battery. (When you buy a battery in a store, usually you try to get one no older than 90 days)

What a BS experience. The car is off warranty, and this is the last time I am going to the dealership.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We had the main battery in our FL MY2018 replaced after only one year. The related firmware was also updated and it's been fine since.

It had been in for annual service just a few days before a similar sudden and complete failure.

Although the factory follows the now common 'just in time' logistics strategy who knows how long a battery sits in vendor stock prior to being shipped to the factory.

·
Super Moderator
1,424 Posts
The factory has gone beyond JIT to JIS (just in sequence). We watched as different dash (and other) assemblies were fed into the line for a full array of completely different vehicles. Tooling and hardware and fastening techniques changed spontaneously. Radios are made in adjacent buildings (multi company campuses) to arrive at the correct time. Same for other components. QR codes were cross checked to verify all parts matched each vehicle's build spec.

We've been waiting for a quantum leap forward in battery technology for 50 years. It reminds me of fusion power ... Always ten years away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts