Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just got a 2016 GLA 250 and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for upgrading the car audio. I want to change the head unit but it's not recommended.

So if there are no options for head units what would you suggest for subwoofers? Maybe a powered one? Also looking to upgrade to door speakers.

Located in Hong Kong any suggestions would be great, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the late response. I was able to source a complete Harman/Kardon speaker set from an internet auction site as removed from a 2016 GLA250. I have read from many audiophiles that this is still a weak performing system, but my experience is that it is significantly better than the base level speakers. While removing and installation of the factory speakers involves drilling, removing and replacing rivets - the effort was worth it as the upgraded speakers are a huge improvement over the base level audio. Once I figure out the wiring for the subwoofer in the boot/trunk, I will be all done!

·
Registered
2018 GLA45 AMG
18 Posts
While removing and installation of the factory speakers involves drilling, removing and replacing rivets - the effort was worth it as the upgraded speakers are a huge improvement over the base level audio. Once I figure out the wiring for the subwoofer in the boot/trunk, I will be all done!
Shawn, this is what I would like to do eventually, just upgrade my speakers (not any time soon though).
Can I ask where you found the info needed on what you had to drill/remove/replace? There's probably a YouTube video out there somewhere, so I'll look there too, but was curious what info you might have from your experience. Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shawn, this is what I would like to do eventually, just upgrade my speakers (not any time soon though).
Can I ask where you found the info needed on what you had to drill/remove/replace? There's probably a YouTube video out there somewhere, so I'll look there too, but was curious what info you might have from your experience. Thank you!
I found the answers on some forums and thru some videos. The rivets I ordered online from Amazon I think. I still haven't found how the factory subwoofer in the trunk is wired in!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Easiest way is to spend the $10 or $20 on ebay to buy access to the mercedes prints. You get everything, from how to remove that door insert, the complete schematics, how to remove the engine, whatever you want.

If you have the upgraded audio system, then the easiest way to add a (bigger) subwoofer is tap the existing outputs from the amp in the back, and use those to feed the aftermarket amp you buy (integrated or not). I don't have the standard system, can't comment on that one from experience or research.

The rivets, I bought MB genuine parts which are $1.50 each. That's kind of a steep price given there are 40 in the car, total. But the cheap pop riveter from Hazard Fraught can pop them no problem, so at least putting the panel back in is painless, even if removing it is awful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you have the upgraded audio system, then the easiest way to add a (bigger) subwoofer is tap the existing outputs from the amp in the back, and use those to feed the aftermarket amp you buy (integrated or not).
I've done exactly that and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! That and some sound proofing on the front doors and trunk area and I'm super happy with the result. I'll try to put some pictures later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts