Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GLA45 AMG
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

New to the forums and modding. I've owned my stock 2015 GLA for about a year and a half now and was looking for suggestions/tips regarding the following modifications I was interested in adding. I would love to get more sound and power out of this thing. This is my daily 60+ mile commuter car so if adding these mods is a bad idea I'm open to other suggestions.

1. RENNtech Hand-Held ECU Tuner: Interested in this hand held tuner in case I ever want to return back to stock (either selling the car or move to a state with emissions testing). Plus the hand held tuner doesn't require shipping the ECU. I've also come across this Weistech tune, which is slightly less expensive, but I'm leaning towards the RENNtech. I could get my car tuned at RENNtech's shop, but I don't think that would allow going back to stock.

2. AMS 300 Cell Downpipe: Would like to stick to a downpipe w/ cat vs. catless. This is the most reputable I could find but open to other suggestions. Would be interested in this RENNtech 200 Cell Downpipe, but it's way too expensive and possibly not even supported anymore.

3. Weistec Air Intake System: Definitely interested in an intake for increased turbo performance and sound. Another option could be to cheap out and get this K&N Filter, but that wouldn't have nearly the same effects as the Weistec system as far as I'm aware.

If anyone has any experience with these mods or any other suggestions, please let me know! I also plan on reaching out to RENNtech in the future to check tune compatibility with the other mods to ensure no sensors are tripped.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn't want more noise but i did want better power. The best bang for the buck and low hanging fruit is tune and air filter. I got the renntech tuner , a bov and a k&n filter. It works great and i don't think it stresses the drivetrain out too badly especially if not beat on and until the motor is warm. Not sure if they have a tune for additional mods or if you can start at stage 1 and then progress later. You can totally notice the difference between the k&n and stock paper filter. Better response and slightly freer revving, otoh it is ever so slightly twitchy right off throttle but you get used to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
AMS is discontinuing support for this motor from my talks with them. I wouldn’t support them in my opinion. They also told me that they don’t tune to other aftermarket products.

Weistec provides it all so stick with one. This way if issues arise they can support properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
AMS is discontinuing support for this motor from my talks with them. I wouldn’t support them in my opinion. They also told me that they don’t tune to other aftermarket products.

Weistec provides it all so stick with one. This way if issues arise they can support properly.

I asked AMS about this today.

They said they are discontinuing their turbo kit. Was that what you meant?

·
Registered
12 Posts
It’s my understanding, from who I spoke to that they are discontinuing support of this motor. Maybe the guy was just referencing the turbo, but I didn’t initially call about the turbo.

·
Registered
2016 MB GLA 45 AMG
10 Posts
I bought a 2016 GLA in July and came with the Weistec Catless DP and ECU the prior owner installed. It also had the Weistec Blow Off valve. I love the sound of a sport exhaust but the Catless DP was too loud for me. I replaced the Weistec DP with the AMS DP with 300 cell sport cat. Loving this set up. Sound is aggressive but not too over the top loud. I also replaced the Weictec ASV valve with the TurboSmart Plumback Valve, the whooshing sound just didn't seem to fit this car and got annoying after a while. I have no issues with the AMS DP mated with the Weistec ECU. The DP is excellent quality and looks great under the hood. Not sure what is meant that AMS is not supporting this engine anymore, but the DP isn't anything I'd be concerned with. If they have one available, go for it.
If you want my Weistec Catless DP, I have it. Make me an offer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts