Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow GLA owners

I’m new to the owners club, I’m picking my baby up this coming weekend hopefully, it’s a 2015 model, only has 38k km on, really well looked after, I’m really excited about it, because she’s just beautiful but a guy told me that the 2015 model GLA’s had transmission issues, i tried reading up on it but haven’t found a lot about transmission issues other than it’s a little laggy in C mode, is there any other issues I should be concerned about? Hope to hear from you all

Happy km’s

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
To minimize lag MB changed the gear ratios for 2016 and added more power. Because of this enthusiasts favor 2016 and later models.

There were changes made in late 2016 to strengthen the output shaft.

There are a lot of 2015 models that have been fine. It's difficult to put numbers on these things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To minimize lag MB chamber the gear ratios for 2016 and added more power. Because of this enthusiasts favor 2016 and later models.

There were changes made in late 2016 to strengthen the output shaft.

There are a lot of 2015 models that have been fine. It's difficult to put numbers on these things.
Thanks for the reply, so I don’t have to be too concerned about any transmission issues on the 2015 model and i can just leave it as it is

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
I don't know of any updates so I'm not sure what you would do to a 2015 car.

As with any used car purchase ... Get a good PPI and set aside funds for all maintenance items based on both time and mileage excluding anything you have receipts for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi fellow GLA owners

I’m new to the owners club, I’m picking my baby up this coming weekend hopefully, it’s a 2015 model, only has 38k km on, really well looked after, I’m really excited about it, because she’s just beautiful but a guy told me that the 2015 model GLA’s had transmission issues, i tried reading up on it but haven’t found a lot about transmission issues other than it’s a little laggy in C mode, is there any other issues I should be concerned about? Hope to hear from you all

Happy km’s
Hi there! I have a 2015 GLA 250, bought with 35K on her In 2018. Learned in 2021 there is a common problem with these cars, the differential needs replacing with low miles (48k for me) at the price of $6000!!! Mercedes takes no responsibility, and this is out of pocket for everyone! Trying to get a class action started but no one listens to me. Let me know if this happens to you.
susan

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
I've heard of cases of this failure. I suspect that if this happens most people will search on line and post their problems, but of course that would not be 100% of the actual problems that get reported.

That being said, I don't let my diff oil go any further than 10K miles before changing. With each change the oil comes out looking like new. I doubt there's a lot of heat in the diff to discolor the oil. I haven't done a UOA to evaluate metals in the oil or shear (loss of viscosity) of the oil as well as other things.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would recommend maintenance when you get it.....tranny fluid (which also tackles front axle) and rear diff fluid. This gives you the best chance of not having issues. I did mine early, not following a schedule. This coming year I will do the rear diff fluid again, at near 10k since last done. Have 29.5k miles at this point and no issues with trans or rear axle. One Q though, with 38k km on ODO, how are the brakes, done recently? Pads are not that expensive, but replacing rotors gets costly. I got a really great deal on OEM AMG pads/rotors a couple years back and just had everything replaced by the dealer, the labor was expensive. Had I bought everything from the dealer it likely would have cost me near $2k, not the $1300 in parts/labor in total I paid.

Reactions: 45edition1

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got almost 85K miles on my 2015. The only problem I've had so far is a broken exhaust flap actuator at about 50K miles. The car does plenty of spirited canyon carving in manual mode but it doesn't get launched. I've seen enough expensive AWD cars toast clutches, transmissions and half-shafts from stop lights. I'm also fortunate that there's a local independent shop that specializes in AMG's that I'll use for service intervals. After saying all that I still believe a car will only last as long as you drive it to last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts