Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not stand this Navigation System, streets are not clear, outdated streets, etc. what a waste of money, cant even get an update on my Apple IMAC OS? They blame it on Apple. APPLE HAS STATED MANY MANY TIMES, THEIR OS SYSTEMS,DRIVERS, ARE IN PLACE FOR PROGRAMMERS TO CONFIGURE THEIR SYSTEMS, AND IT IS UP TO THEM TO DO THE CORRECT JOB. This Becker system has a SD card slot, can I purchase a Garmin Map program for NorthAmercia on a SD card and will it work?? Anyone know where you can purchase these correct cards?? let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is me again, I did call Garmin, they do have a SD card for their NorthAmerica Maps only. It is a regular standard SD card with the maps, no special auto program. Just always check with Mercedes to see if it will work on their program. So anyone on here let me know your thoughts and information. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mac user here as well - I updated mine using parallels running Windows 7. However, fair warning, the update was pretty worthless. The imaging didn't get better, the map quality is just as bad and so on. So not necessarily worth the hassle.

I ended up buying a CD slot mounted magnetic holder for my iphone and drive with Waze. Still waiting for a good airplay screen mirroring solution - but not holding my breath. Hope this helps and saves you the hassle of the update.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Your GLA has to be pre wired for garmin in order to use it as a SD card. 2016 GLA is pre wired.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I checked out Garmin's site and could not find anything. MB is not even listed among the brands. I don't think there is really a good SD solution here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah the becker maps stank!!!! Alot of the addresses I put in don't show up on the navigation input screen. I have to just use the cross streets which is annoyingly inconvenient.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I checked out Garmin's site and could not find anything. MB is not even listed among the brands. I don't think there is really a good SD solution here.
I use the Garmin SD and its very accurate.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I guess it depends how you use the Becker Map. I use it a lot locally, just to view the map to see where I am and not to enter a destination, and find it quite accurate and reasonably up to date. When I was shopping for the Becker module, I chose one with the the latest date. I must say that Becker is really hard to hook up with on the internet for upgrade purposes, so I probably won't ever upgrade it. A nice feature is being able to change the viewing area by turning the control knob in the center console.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It does not seem to be available any longer from Garmin.
You can only get it from a MB dealer for 600.00 US. But can find it on eBay for at least 200.00 less from a MB accessories seller most of the time. I only paid 380 or something near there for a brand new card.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Garmin SD Card

Did not understand some of the responses to using the Garmin SD card in the Becker Map Pilot slot??
Garmin still makes the map on a SD card!!! But will it work in a 2015 GLA250 Basic model with the Becker Pilot installed in glove compartment???

·
Registered
608 Posts
I believe the confusion is a result of the fact that the Becker glove compartment module has an SD slot in it. I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what that slot is for, but it is almost certainly not for the Garmin SD. Typical of much of the documentation available for the GLA, the manual for the Becker Map Pilot is happy to inform you on P. 9 that there is an SD slot, and it is spring loaded. Nothing about the function of the SD interface. Only the 2015 GLA had the Becker unit, leaving it an orphan, at least for the GLA. As I mentioned before, the Becker unit I bought on eBay was supposed to be for the Sprinter, so there may be other models that still use the Becker. One of the downsides of the Garmin is that once you insert the SD in it, that SD cannot be used on another vehicle, whereas the Becker glove compartment unit can be used in another suitably equipped vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts