Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchase my Mercedes GLA 2015 4 matic having 36k in EXCELLENT conditions. befeore buyig it , run a carfax and everiting was A ok ! only one owner /all updates and oil and filter services and recomendations. All of it in the MB dealer were it was purchased and mantained. MB Autorized Dealer.
recently i hear a clicking sound from the rear and a Stuttering (dont know if im saying it correct) So, i bring to them for a checkup. They came with the diagnostic of Replacing the rear differential because Wear Its that posible that at 36k a Mercedes had a wear that magnitude ? MB said the waranty does not cover it anymore and the job its over $4k!
Any second thougts? When i think Mercedes I dont expect that kind of faulty parts

·
Super Moderator
690 Posts
You cite excellent condition upon purchase but truth is you really have no way of knowing how the original driver handled and/or maintained the vehicle unless the differential was disassembled and inspected when you bought it, which of course rarely happens. Although atypical at 36k miles, it's entirely possible that there was hard wear on the differential, now requiring service. You could get a second opinion at another dealership or good independent shop. This kind of wear is usually very apparent when opened up.

Keep in mind that most warranties are mileage or time, whichever comes first, and you have a 2015 model.

Sorry to hear of your malady and Benz-typical expense. The silver lining is that you'll have a thoroughly refreshed differential.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s entirely true. Im afraid after that came a Transmision or front differential 🤷🏻‍♂️. Nobody knows. Like a lottery game, maybe I bought the winning ticket🤣, Lets keep positive .. im going for second opinions. I will keep informed.. other thing if its posible to repair it instead of change it.. What about that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. I disconnected the differential selenoid and all the noises and scrapping disappeared.. it official a new diff.. fortunately im managing to reduce cost... will keep informed

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
I have an F250 that was making an intermittent scraping noise that was terrible. Was it a front wheel bearing? A rear brake pad dragging? Noises transfer in a vehicle. My problem was finally found by raising the truck and running it at 60 mph until the sound appeared. What was it? The center bearing on the drive shaft.

When you disconnect the solenoid you are releasing the clutch. The differential gears still turn. The drive shaft doesn't.

In other words, I'm not sure what conclusions to make based upon your experiment.

Having said the above, others on this Forum have had rear diff problems. The AMG diff oil change interval is 10K miles and then every 20K miles after that. In other words, high maintenance making me wonder why.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchase my Mercedes GLA 2015 4 matic having 36k in EXCELLENT conditions. befeore buyig it , run a carfax and everiting was A ok ! only one owner /all updates and oil and filter services and recomendations. All of it in the MB dealer were it was purchased and mantained. MB Autorized Dealer.
recently i hear a clicking sound from the rear and a Stuttering (dont know if im saying it correct) So, i bring to them for a checkup. They came with the diagnostic of Replacing the rear differential because Wear Its that posible that at 36k a Mercedes had a wear that magnitude ? MB said the waranty does not cover it anymore and the job its over $4k!
Any second thougts? When i think Mercedes I dont expect that kind of faulty parts
Have you ever checked the batery life and model? I had a similar problem with my GLA 250 Sport/2015: A strange noise when put rear gear and a eletronic error saing: "The Reversing not poss. Consult workshop" and only 2nd and 4th gear available. I went to MB workshop and run a carfax too and discovery that the model of instaled batery wasn't fit for my car model. I replaced the batery to a model Heliar 80 Ampheres AGM 800 and the problem was aparantly fixed. I'll keep monitoring the car, but i guess that problem won't happens anymore.
Regards, Luiz Henrique.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have an F250 that was making an intermittent scraping noise that was terrible. Was it a front wheel bearing? A rear brake pad dragging? Noises transfer in a vehicle. My problem was finally found by raising the truck and running it at 60 mph until the sound appeared. What was it? The center bearing on the drive shaft.

When you disconnect the solenoid you are releasing the clutch. The differential gears still turn. The drive shaft doesn't.

In other words, I'm not sure what conclusions to make based upon your experiment.

Having said the above, others on this Forum have had rear diff problems. The AMG diff oil change interval is 10K miles and then every 20K miles after that. In other words, high maintenance making me wonder why.
I'm not sure about all this Wayne. Let's start with your last sentence, accurate. The rear diff I have never seen what upgrades there are vs. a GLA250 even though there is way more HP and Torque, always why I was wondering how any power upgrades would allow differential pieces to survive (if you actually tuned a 45 for more power).

So the question here is if the car was mint, have the dealer show that the rear diff was at least serviced once. When I bought my 2015 with 18k, at 20k I paid to have rear diff, and front diff/tranny fluid/filter replaced, forget about service A/B blah blah.

Now, about the driveshaft and your comments....if he disconnected a rear diff solenoid, I'm not sure the driveshaft is not turning, if say the car is encountering a situation where AWD gets engaged (it's normally FWD, especially if in eco C mode. He didn't disconnect any solenoid at the front tranny, so driveshaft engages and spins down to clutch, which is likely disengaged, so no AWD.

That's an expensive fix though, I'll be tuned in to how this turns out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My question is .. does the rear differential needs a re programing or something after been installed?

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
I can't see what would be programmed.

Shadofax ... As I wrote my comments above I wasn't sure if the rear diff was energized on our off. I wanted to suggest a troubleshooting technique but wasn't clear enough, or clear at all. Thanks for pointing this out.

The AMG oil change interval for the rear diff is much more aggressive than the 250. I do suspect that is the weak link. That being said the oil in mine has always looked new. But I haven't sent a sample for analysis and looks can be deceptive in a relatively cool environment. Shearing can occur that affects viscosity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 GLA 250 4matic. At 50k the real diff was replaced, at 100k the rear diff was changed and now at 170k it needs to be replaced again. I hope MB makes good on this. Obviously there is a problem. My 2007 Honda Ridgeline has 300k miles with NO major repairs, my 2007 Lexus GL470 has 160k with no major repairs and my 1970 VW convertible bug still runs great with no major repairs.

I think MB has some rear diff problems, do you?

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Welcome. You have a lot of miles on your GLA. I'd love to hear how your cost per mile has been as well as your maintenance.

The rear diff failure as well as the grinding when selecting reverse seem to be a problem.

Both the rear diff and the transmission have complicated (not obvious) refill requirements. Lately I've been wondering if there is any correlation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Standard maintenance per OEM. Although I do my oil charges at about 75% of the recommended mileage.

I've done two sets of tires and brakes all the way around once.

It's been a great car other than the rear diff. At forbmy Ridgeline it's been amazing, ashes the Lexus.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
So you're getting at least 60K miles on a set of tires. For these cars that's superb. You obviously have a very gentle smooth touch on the controls. Congratulations, and well done!!!

Have you done any used oil analysis to evaluate motor wear. I've been changing every 5K miles and UOAs have been excellent. But I've only got 30K miles to date (2017 45).

Note: UOAs on my Porsche 997.2 indicate that the oil is starting to break down at 5K miles. I've seen oil temps to 275F in this car. The 45 seems to be better temperature regulated. The 45 is my wife's. The 997.2 gets driven in a more spirited fashion. Both cars use the same Mobil One Euro Grade 0-40. Although the oil breakdown is not indicated on the 45 I'm not inclined to go past 5K miles.

Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't analyzed the used oil, but it always looks clean when I change and I don't burn any between changes.

I went fron run flats to Good Year regular tires. I have a small compressor I keep in my cargo area just in case.

I forgot to add earlier the electronic thermostat did go bad.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Thermostats and water pumps have been mentioned on this Forum. And if I correctly recall, an AOS (or PCV valve if you don't care for Air Oil Separator). Exhaust flap failures (broken spring requiring motor replacement) seem to be the latest failure point. I won't count a heat soaking ignition coil on a heavily modified 45.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had this happen yesterday, gla. Awd, $5000!!! 2015..... Plus new tires and an auxiliary battery comes to $7k!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got the bill of $5500 to replace my differential in my 2015 Mercedes GLA 4matic at 50k miles. Mechanic says its common for this vehicle between 5 and 6 years! Why would Mercedes make such an inferior product?
susanM

1 - 20 of 26 Posts