Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking with the parts guy at my local MB, I asked what kind of interior I have based on my VIN. the sheet says I have the 811 and 800. It is black with red stitching.
How do I take properly take care of this and what is it really; leather or MB tex?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
690 Posts
I'm not familiar with those code numbers but you would know if you have leather by the feel. Today's MB-Tex (aka leatherette, vinyl) formulations are far superior to when they first came on the market and at a glance it's hard to differentiate from leather. But the feel of leather is still distinct.

You can use whatever you would use on leather to clean MB-Tex. Or just a good interior surface cleaner. Being essentially plastic you don't need a penetrant as you would to help preserve leather, but I often use same just for the aroma.

Our GLA's with MB-Tex (codes 118 & 105) are the first non-leather interiors we've had in many years. We were initially concerned but now quite comfortable with same. In addition to ease of cleaning you don't slide around quite as much as you would on leather.

Now, if you have Alcantara (aka microsuede, microfiber), as more typically found on performance vehicles, that's a lot more effort to keep clean. The upside tho' to Alcantara is that it has a lot of material-material friction and therefore holds you more firmly in place than leather or leatherette.
Cleaning:
Font Number

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
You might try and get the dealer to get you the window sticker, they can get older window stickers. It will state which one you have. I think the 100 numbers are MB-TEX and the 800 numbers are leather. This comes from the info on a 2016 GLA I had.

You may purchase an old window sticker at: Print Automotive Window Stickers | MonroneyLabels.com

·
Super Moderator
690 Posts
Ok, so if leather my go-to are Griots Garage 3-in-1 leather treatment or Zaino Z-10 leather in a bottle (the best aroma imho). But there are many other fine products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts