Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Please Help!!
I bought my gla about a year ago, and have loved it ever since. The other day back from work I had my check engine light pop up, so I immediately went to go run some codes. It had came back P052E, the PCV. I called the Mercedes Benz dealership and did a bunch of research to figure out the best way of approaching this. They wanted to charge somewhere around $1500 for the replacement. I immediately went to look for the part myself online but I can't find it for the GLA 250 but for every other make of Mercedes. What is the best way to approach this? and am I still safe to drive? no recognizable problems but am concerned for the car. Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
The GLA250, as many modern turbo 4-cylinders, uses a number of components in its emissions control system (see link). Including a nitrous oxide (NOX) sensor sampling the contents of the vapor canister and a vacuum pump to assure that positive crankcase ventilation. The dealership likely wants to replace everything. And of course the bulk of their estimate is for labor.
However, their proprietary OBDII computer will provide more detail than a commercial unit and it may be advantageous to have them at least do that more in-depth analysis before authorizing any additional work.
And yes, you're still relatively safe to drive but won't pass an emissions test and performance may be impacted.

·
Registered
2019 GLA 45 AMG
2 Posts
Hello, Please Help!!
I bought my gla about a year ago, and have loved it ever since. The other day back from work I had my check engine light pop up, so I immediately went to go run some codes. It had came back P052E, the PCV. I called the Mercedes Benz dealership and did a bunch of research to figure out the best way of approaching this. They wanted to charge somewhere around $1500 for the replacement. I immediately went to look for the part myself online but I can't find it for the GLA 250 but for every other make of Mercedes. What is the best way to approach this? and am I still safe to drive? no recognizable problems but am concerned for the car. Thank you!!
This issue sounds very similar to the one in a video I watched the other day. He explains the issue and why it costs so much to repair

·
Registered
17 Posts
chancec,
What year is the vehicle? How many miles does it have? Do you have the maintenance history for it; where were the oil changes done and what oil was used, how long between oil changes? I am wondering if this correlates to the type of oil used and the length of interval between changes. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
Regarding oil, the biggest worry IMHO is an overfill. This can create excessive vapors that can tax the AOS (air oil separator) and the PCV system in general.

That being said, the PCV system seems to be joining the ranks of the more common (not epidemic) failure points. And as others have pointed out, this involves more than a simple valve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts