Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Regarding my GLA 45 (2015), sometimes i have a weird noise coming from the wheel/tire when I try to turn the wheel (slowly). first noticed from backing out from parking spot. Is this the friction between tire and the ground? could it be alignment? or specifically the tires are too hard in this weather? or could it be the 4matic? or low profile tires?

P.S. im from canada, its about -2 here right now in Toronto. The vehicle has 13k km on it now. im new to MB, just came from a 2012 328i xdrive coupe, never experienced these kind of handling issues.:eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update on the issue: The noise disappeared when temperature reaches more than 15-17c and above. for those who wonder. i was told by MB dealer that the 20 inch is a set of all season. godbless these crap sales.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue Michael. It's the tires sliding across the ground when the wheel is turned 1 or more turns. Once the tires got up to temp the noise went away. I just replaced those summer tires for Michelin AS3+ 255-35-20. These are amazing All Season tires, probably the best to date. You will need to put wheel spacers on the front though, in order to accommodate the bump in width. The only downside is I can't get it to drift anymore, these are just too planted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same issue Michael. It's the tires sliding across the ground when the wheel is turned 1 or more turns. Once the tires got up to temp the noise went away. I just replaced those summer tires for Michelin AS3+ 255-35-20. These are amazing All Season tires, probably the best to date. You will need to put wheel spacers on the front though, in order to accommodate the bump in width. The only downside is I can't get it to drift anymore, these are just too planted.
255 is too wide. im thinking about switching to bridgestone pole position s04 245/35/20. but even that might be wide for front.. i dont like the continentals, the wear is too fast.

·
Registered
179 Posts
245's work just fine on the GLA45. I have snow tires that width and they were not a problem.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Would anyone be so kind as to take some photos of a 245/35/20 tire setup on the MB 20" black multi-spoke rims please?

I am thinking if I should pay quite a bit more for the hard to come by 235/40/20s or change them to cheaper 245/35/20s instead. I am actually concerned about how much more the edges of the 245/35/20s would protude out of the 20" rims, even the height difference with the 245/35/20s being 8mm taller.

Much thanks!!! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would anyone be so kind as to take some photos of a 245/35/20 tire setup on the MB 20" black multi-spoke rims please?

I am thinking if I should pay quite a bit more for the hard to come by 235/40/20s or change them to cheaper 245/35/20s instead. I am actually concerned about how much more the edges of the 245/35/20s would protude out of the 20" rims, even the height difference with the 245/35/20s being 8mm taller.

Much thanks!!! :)
really? the 245/35/20 r that much taller?

·
Super Moderator
1,903 Posts
235 × .40 = 94 mm sidewall height.

245 × .35 = 86 mm sidewall height.

So the wider tire would be 8 mm shorter.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ah, my bad. Got it in reverse!

·
Super Moderator
1,903 Posts
True. Diameter vs radius.

I don't have the figures here right now, but if I recall correctly, the rolling diameter on the 19 inch wheels is closer to the 245 wide 20 inch option.

·
Registered
84 Posts
245/40 20 definitely fits. Someone in this forum has had these with no problems at all. Actually 245/40 20 are much closer to the OEM dimensions than 245/35 20.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
245/40 20 definitely fits. Someone in this forum has had these with no problems at all. Actually 245/40 20 are much closer to the OEM dimensions than 245/35 20.
wat tires are you looking into? i think im replacing these continentals with bridgestone s04 poleposition, but would like to hear more options.

·
Registered
84 Posts
wat tires are you looking into? i think im replacing these continentals with bridgestone s04 poleposition, but would like to hear more options.
I will definitely buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports in this dimension.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts