Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned 1000 miles Today and bad luck. I got s flat tire and drove 12 miles under 50 miles per our to my dealer.
They patched the tire but said it is not recommend to patch/keep run flat tires.

The new tire + installation will cost me $378.00 + taxes, not happy at all...:eek:

·
Registered
295 Posts
that's why i don't like run flats, at least with traditional tires you can patch let that be the end of it.

it must have been quite the impact to puncture a run flat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it was some kind of nail because I drove to an office not speeding at all, parked and came back 1 1/2 hour later and noticed the flat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Expensive OEM tires are nothing new and especially with the addition of run flat technologies. It sucks that its not recommended to patch them. Didn't know that.

For myself I prefer traditional tires but I think the ability to drive slowly to a gas station is a huge benefit for those who can't change tires themselves. Lets face it that's part of the target audience for this ride.

I go through tires fast so when my tread depth gets lower than I like these things are getting replaced.

FYI - I don't think this is a problem with the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From what I can remember run flats are only good for one puncture then you are off to a dealer or tire shop to get new ones. For the OP hes lucky they still had a decent amount of meat them otherwise he would have had to replace both on the same axle to have even tread depth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This happened to me today. I was not aware that runflats couldn't be replaced either. It would have been nice to have known that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Turned 1000 miles Today and bad luck. I got s flat tire and drove 12 miles under 50 miles per our to my dealer.
They patched the tire but said it is not recommend to patch/keep run flat tires.

The new tire + installation will cost me $378.00 + taxes, not happy at all...:eek:
They're really nice for not telling you to replace all 4 tires since the diameter of the new tire will be slightly different and will damage the AWD. The fact that they did the work anyway tells me the recommendation comes from an over abundance of caution. Personally I wouldn't worry about it at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is handling ok and we just have a little daily drive since my wife works from home, I work out of town and have a Ducati to move around.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Although I am not a big fan of the present generations of RFTs (harsh ride/noise/less than desirable grip/cost), I do see the convenience factor. Hopefully, near future RFTs will correct the deficiencies of the present RFTs.

Now to the question of RFT repairs… appears being repairable after a puncture depends on several factors and here is Bridgestone's op piece:

It depends on how far and at what speed the car was driven after the puncture was sustained. Repair is possible only if deemed so by the tire sales store.
Preconditions include a puncture of less than 6mm for both side-reinforced type and support-ring type Run-Flat Technology tires, plus minimal damage to the support ring in case of the latter.
However, it is strongly recommended that the tire is replaced as its durability will have been weakened after being repaired.

This is an interesting read in that the question at hand is not entirely a 'yes or no' proposition>>> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=226

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm about to pick up a GLA 45. Should I ask them to swap out the run flats for traditional tires? It seems like the spare spot is being used for a subwoofer / amp, but I could always get one of those spray and seal time inflation kits in a can things.

I always seem to get a nail or two in my tires. I'd hate to have to replace the tire instead of spending $10-20 for a patch.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Never go to Mercedes for tires. They're expensive and there's a better alternative. Go to TireRack.com, order the tire you need and have it shipped to one of their local authorized installers. I saved $100 when I had to replace one of the tires on my CLA. Sometimes they can do it overnight.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Concerning the GLA45… there seems to be conflicting info out there….some forums have statements that the GLA45 does NOT come with run flats and have a air compressor and sealant system and some are stating the GLA45 DOES come with run flats. I do not know since I do not have my GLA45 yet...:confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just picked up my 45 last week. Comes with electric pump, sealant, AND Continental Extreme Sport Contact 5p tires. No run flats!

Yay!

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm about to pick up a GLA 45. Should I ask them to swap out the run flats for traditional tires

The GLA45 comes with "traditional" aka non run flat tires. Appears run flats are for the GLA/CLA 250 series

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have runflats on mine (GLA 200) wonder what happens with the tire meter in the dash scroll, as it only says ok??

·
Registered
132 Posts
This issue is bugging the crap outta me
I have been trying to source a space saver to throw in the back for long trips with no luck...I dunno if a space saver off another merc will fit
Im in Australia with NON runflats no spare and a can of gunk, If you use the gunk thats the end of the tyre and if you shred the tyre the gunk is good for sweet FA
The OE tyres are the only ones you can get in 235/40R20 here and wholesale they are @ $450 each if you can get them....their like hens teeth
These thing are set up for city driving only over hear, not good for a $90000 car

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Im looking at putting my baby on the track and are looking for a set of second hand race wheels to put track tyres on
But the more I read about the run flats the more I'm thinking of using my OEM wheels and swapping run flats with road legal track tyres
Hence not paying for two sets of wheels and getting rid of the run flats
Only problem 20 inch race tyres very hard to find so getting second set of 19 inch looked like the answer
Dilemma dilemma ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts