Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2015 GLA45 AMG with 6000 miles. I also purchase a 3 year prepaid maintenance plan for $1900. I thought it was on the high side, but the dealer said that if you factor in the maintenance services that are recommended over and above the required service, it's a bargain.

So, my question is to anyone who has had their 10k or 20k service (especially AMG owners). Did the service dept. try and sell you on getting additional maintenance work done that was not part of the required service?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum, fasteddie!

That price sounds high, though you did not say where you are located. The four year annual maintenance plan, including the expensive fourth year with extended requirements in Hawaii where labor rates are higher, was $1475 for my 2016 GLA250. I paid about $1200 for three years on our 2012 C250. However, it sounds like they have you coming in more frequently than annual maintenance. Annual is all we need here, mileage for us is about 4000. I guess that rolls into the debate on whether the annual maintenance is sufficient, or if greater intervals on oil changes and associated preventive maintenance are needed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a related question. I purchased a 2015 GLA45 in November but the car was built last March. The service minder is telling me to do a service based on the March date. I'll only have about 5500 on it at the time.

Should I do the "A" service at the end of the month or should I wait until 10,000 miles?

Looking for peoples opinions?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have a related question. I purchased a 2015 GLA45 in November but the car was built last March. The service minder is telling me to do a service based on the March date. I'll only have about 5500 on it at the time.

Should I do the "A" service at the end of the month or should I wait until 10,000 miles?

Good question for your MB service rep. However, my opinion only, I'd wait for annual.

·
Registered
880 Posts
45 have a different maintenance schedule vs 250. For example new engine air filter at every oil change and brake fluid and rear axle flush at every 20k

·
Registered
172 Posts

The GLA 2016 maintenance manual states:
The first Service A is due at 12 months or 10,000 miles, then every 24 months or 20,000 miles.
The first Service B is due at 24 months or 20,000 miles, then every 24 months or 20,000 miles.

And the clock starts clicking on the day the car is built.

I would get the A service done now so that your warranty is not affected.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Similar question.

Do you recommend a 3 to 5 month oil change interval or wait till 10000 miles?

I don't drive my car far. Had it since November and only have about 1100 miles on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Regular oil changes are generally a great way of lowering long term maintenance costs.

You have a high specific output hand built performance engine probably getting driven for short duty cycles, this usually puts you into the "severe" use category.

For the minimal price of an oil change why worry about it, just change it. Even environmental concerns about the regularity of oil changes are largely mute now due to oil recycling and repurposing programs.

Your base oil chemistry will change over time regardless of miles driven and it generally gets worse the more stop/start cycles you have and the more short distance cold weather trips are made.

Oil and filters are cheap, an engine...less so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our cars maintenance is base of days according to the count down time on the dash. When my when off at 7250, i just kept driving till i hit 8000. I did notice the count down timer went from 21 days to 18 days in 24hrs. So i guess some shenanigans is afoot trying to get us back from some good old high cost oil changes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Our cars maintenance is base of days according to the count down time on the dash. When my when off at 7250, i just kept driving till i hit 8000. I did notice the count down timer went from 21 days to 18 days in 24hrs. So i guess some shenanigans is afoot trying to get us back from some good old high cost oil changes.
Hmm. Never thought of checking that. I'm going to see what it says.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you drive more than average in that 24 hour period?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Had a nice talk with the service dept. They still recommended that I change my oil at 10000 miles or 1 year. I can top off the oil if it appears to be low. I would also change more often if I drive in dusty areas. The best bet right now is too just monitor my oil levels and color. I don't like it when the oil gets too dark and feels like it has mineral deposits.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The GLA 2016 maintenance manual states:
The first Service A is due at 12 months or 10,000 miles, then every 24 months or 20,000 miles.
The first Service B is due at 24 months or 20,000 miles, then every 24 months or 20,000 miles.

And the clock starts clicking on the day the car is built.

I would get the A service done now so that your warranty is not affected.
Went to a new owners seminar at the dealer last week, hosted by the service department. As mentioned on another thread, my car was made in March, 2015, and I bought it in February, 2016, and the service reminder in the dash says my first service is a B, not an A. Also, the question arose as to whether the brake fluid should be changed at the first service. I asked the service manager, and he said wait until the 2 year date after being put in service (not built) to do the brake fluid, and they would do an A at the first service. He said they usually change the indicator from B to A when they sell a car that has been with them for a while-he didn't know why mine hadn't been changed. I came in around 1 pm to look at cars the day I bought it, and picked it up around 5. This may be a factor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My last car was domestic and I did absolutely nothing to it for 47,000 miles but change the oil, rotate the tires, and add some high-performance aftermarket brake shoes and Michelin tires because I towed with it. What on earth could possibly be needed at 10,000 miles on a car that cost twice as much? I'm really dubious about this "expensive 10,000 mile maintenance"

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's basically an oil change. How expensive is yet to be determined. Remember when you used to get your oil changed every 3,000-5,000 miles?

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's basically an oil change. How expensive is yet to be determined. Remember when you used to get your oil changed every 3,000-5,000 miles?
I always buy synthetic and change it every 6000-7000 miles. The manuals used to say 7500.

Except for the first oil change, remember when you had the "break-in" oil change at 1,000 miles? The oil would come out all glittery like metallic paint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts