·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is interesting is if you go to the MBUSA.com, they have the S65 listed 0-60 in 4.0 seconds flat while GLA45 has a 4.8 0-60 but in parenthesis says "estimated". Motortrend got 4.3 in their 0-60 test iirc.

I do think the launch control on the GLA45 and it being 4Matic helped a lot. As you can see though that if the race was any longer, the S65 would have left the GLA in the dust.

·
Registered
816 Posts
the S65 would have left the GLA in the dust.

Add a few curves and 'Ss' that might not be the case. S65 just is too weighty...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you add curves then it isn't a drag race anymore. lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've had a few Corvettes and other speedy cars and there is something you learn pretty fast with that kind of hardware, when going against all wheel or just plain getting jumped off the line it will take you a while to catch up even when you are significantly more powerful. Trap speeds don't lie though and they tell a lot about how it will go on the open road. When C6 came out I recall it being almost a dead even race with the then also new (iteration of) the 911S both to 60 and in the quarter but the corvette had a 5 mph faster trap speed. Out on the road if you went up against a 911S you would walk right away from it in a way you wouldn't expect from those similar track numbers.

For whatever reason it appears to me that the GLA 45s hp is significantly underated. Lots of dynos showing 340 or more to the wheels which even with the 15% or so loss of a performance rear wheel car wouldn't jive with the specified power. I'm a high hp rear wheel drive V8 guy and I'm not aware of what the typical loss is for all wheel drive cars like this but I suspect it would be more?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably doesn't help that rwd only really activates when it is needed, most of the time it is a fwd vehicle.

I'm no dyno expert so I am not really sure how you get accurate numbers with systems like the 4matic.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I was big time into Audis and with their quattro systems. I had several "modified" Audi TTs and had to use a 4 wheel/AWD type dyno. The systems on these cars from Audi and MB can be tricky getting a valid dyno run due to they are 'distributed variable power' and not a true 4 wheel drive (think Jeep), so the dynos for testing a AWD car need to be rather sophisticated in their computer analyzation of a pull.

Yes…understand about the 'drag race' idea and yes the S63 would out run the GLA in a straight line, but still like the idea that the GLA45 can hold its own and in particular with a puny 4 banger >:D

I have had several Corvettes (C6 Lingenfelter and a 1990 ZR-1) and they both had tons of HP/T but issue is you need to get that to the ground and that is where the newer AWD cars are the way to go. All RWD wheel spin and smoke is all show and no go….

·
Registered
694 Posts
Might have to seek the help of some european vehicle tuner for that.

Could be that they have to trick the system or something, i don't know.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes…understand about the 'drag race' idea and yes the S63 would out run the GLA in a straight line, but still like the idea that the GLA45 can hold its own and in particular with a puny 4 banger >:D
Definitely love to see the surprise win by GLA and I really would be interested to see the two go track by track.

Evo did put the S65 to the test with it's leaderboard and scored last, about less than 2 second behind the M5 which doesn't seem so bad. I'd be curious to see them put the GLA45 to the test as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Some of the rear wheel drives are pretty well sorted. My C6Z could be almost flat footed from just off a roll for instance. Still with a car like that you have to get it right or watch the rear wheels go up in smoke. I do agree though, you cant just power brake it and jump out of the hole like a scalded cat as the all wheel cars do.

The first time I went to the track in my C6 I didn't even break into the 12s with 2.20ish being my best 60' which says something about both the car and my sad lack of skills. :)

Still it isn't really the track that matters to me. I seldom went even when I was young and actually cared about the numbers, the old version of me just wants to have fun behind the wheel. In that respect AMG nailed it with this car, I knew I would order one a few minutes into my test drive.

·
Registered
816 Posts
That's a 10-4

·
Registered
816 Posts
With my C6 I broke a sub 12 on a few occasions, but hooking up was my issue. It is really nice to have the AMG 4Matic which takes out one part of the equation.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This will be my first AWD car so its hard to guess if it will grow on me or if I'll come to miss rear wheel drive, I'm looking forward to finding out.

·
Registered
880 Posts
To the 45 owners, hows the acceleration once you are moving? MT 45-65mph for the GLA45 is quicker than the older maseratis and so on... from zero with race start is one thing but from 5-60 is a different story

·
Registered
694 Posts
To the 45 owners, hows the acceleration once you are moving? MT 45-65mph for the GLA45 is quicker than the older maseratis and so on... from zero with race start is one thing but from 5-60 is a different story
Also interested in knowing this.

Wouldn't be all too surprised if there are some suggesting a tune could do it some justice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts