10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 05-13-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Changing from run flats to regular

I live in sunny southern California, I have roadside assistance, and other than an occasional trip to Big Bear or Mammoth or Arizona, help is only minutes away, so I really don't need the run flats on my GLA250 (2wd).

When the RF's finally wear out, I'd like to change over to regular tires, but wondering what happens to the TPMS that wants to see 44psi? Can it be reset to something like 35psi?

cirrus white, tan MB tex, P1, multi-media, panoramic sunroof, illuminated star, bi-xenon, blind spot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 05-13-2016, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansol View Post
I live in sunny southern California, I have roadside assistance, and other than an occasional trip to Big Bear or Mammoth or Arizona, help is only minutes away, so I really don't need the run flats on my GLA250 (2wd).

When the RF's finally wear out, I'd like to change over to regular tires, but wondering what happens to the TPMS that wants to see 44psi? Can it be reset to something like 35psi?
The TPMS threshold can be reset using the car's settings menus. Basically you set your car's tires pressure to the correct values then reset TPMS. TPMS then uses the new values for its baseline.

However, 44 psi is way too high for your current tires it should be 32 psi front/29 psi rear (at least those are the correct values for my 2016 GLA 250 4Matic). 44 psi is the maximum pressure rating for the tire. The correct values for your car can be found on the fuel filler flap.
I bet you have a very harsh ride as a result and poor tire wear, too.

2016 GLA 250 4Matic, Cirrus White, Ash MB-Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg, Panorama Sunroof, Bi-Xenon Headlamps, Blind Spot Assist, Power Passenger Seat with Memory
Mods: Wind & Fire Ghost Lights, Mercedes Reversible Rear Floor Mat, BlackLine Chrome Door Lock Pins, Mercedes Wheel Changing Kit, Stainless Steel Sport Petal Pads
Other Ride: 2012 SLK 350, Mars Red, Ash, etc.

Last edited by WhiteRabbit; 05-13-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: More info
post #3 of 72 Old 05-13-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
The TPMS threshold can be reset using the car's settings menus. Basically you set your car's tires pressure to the correct values then reset TPMS. TPMS then uses the new values for its baseline.

However, 44 psi is way too high for your current tires it should be 32 psi front/29 psi rear (at least those are the correct values for my 2016 GLA 250 4Matic). 44 psi is the maximum pressure rating for the tire. The correct values for your car can be found on the fuel filler flap.
I bet you have a very harsh ride as a result and poor tire wear, too.
Yeah ride has always been harsh, but I assumed they were correctly set at the factory! (Foolish of me, I guess). I've never heard of a tire at that pressure before, but assumed it was because of the RF.

Seems to me that this incorrect setting (for a year now) should be a warranty issue, as well as tire wear. Doubt I'll get MBZ to agree with that!

cirrus white, tan MB tex, P1, multi-media, panoramic sunroof, illuminated star, bi-xenon, blind spot

post #4 of 72 Old 05-13-2016, 06:28 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansol View Post
Yeah ride has always been harsh, but I assumed they were correctly set at the factory! (Foolish of me, I guess). I've never heard of a tire at that pressure before, but assumed it was because of the RF.

Seems to me that this incorrect setting (for a year now) should be a warranty issue, as well as tire wear. Doubt I'll get MBZ to agree with that!

Tire pressure is one of those things that I check right away when ever i get a new car, a long with removing dealership lic frames and stickers
post #5 of 72 Old 05-13-2016, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Hi WhiteRabbit-You surely are right. Thanks. The sticker on the driver side door jamb says only 44, the fuel filler flap says 34 front and 29 rear. I will fix that first thing tomorrow. My suggestion to Oceansol would be, if you are thinking of changing from the runflats, and you still have some tread, do the change sooner rather than later, and save the runflats for when you get rid of the car. This could be especially important if you lease, as some of the lease folks want to see runflats when the car is turned in, and if you trade it, not having runflats could affect the trade value.
WhiteRabbit likes this.
post #6 of 72 Old 05-13-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbsdmd View Post
Hi WhiteRabbit-You surely are right. Thanks. The sticker on the driver side door jamb says only 44, the fuel filler flap says 34 front and 29 rear. I will fix that first thing tomorrow. My suggestion to Oceansol would be, if you are thinking of changing from the runflats, and you still have some tread, do the change sooner rather than later, and save the runflats for when you get rid of the car. This could be especially important if you lease, as some of the lease folks want to see runflats when the car is turned in, and if you trade it, not having runflats could affect the trade value.
Thanks for the tip, but my car is purchased and I keep my cars a long time, so I'll just run them till their done.

Thanks so much for this forum, too! I've learned a lot and continue to do so.
WhiteRabbit likes this.

post #7 of 72 Old 05-14-2016, 11:33 AM

I changed front pressure, cold, to 34 and rear to 32. The TPS didn't have a problem with this, without doing a reset. Will see if it feels different.
post #8 of 72 Old 05-14-2016, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbsdmd View Post
I changed front pressure, cold, to 34 and rear to 32. The TPS didn't have a problem with this, without doing a reset. Will see if it feels different.
I would still reset the TPMS since you don't know what baseline it is using.
If you do reset it, do so when the tires are cold.

2016 GLA 250 4Matic, Cirrus White, Ash MB-Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg, Panorama Sunroof, Bi-Xenon Headlamps, Blind Spot Assist, Power Passenger Seat with Memory
Mods: Wind & Fire Ghost Lights, Mercedes Reversible Rear Floor Mat, BlackLine Chrome Door Lock Pins, Mercedes Wheel Changing Kit, Stainless Steel Sport Petal Pads
Other Ride: 2012 SLK 350, Mars Red, Ash, etc.
post #9 of 72 Old 05-14-2016, 05:38 PM

Good advice-will do. I noted that all 4 tires were at 37, cold, this morning before I changed pressures. As mentioned I put fronts at 34 and rears at 32. The pressures seen on the TPMS system were 1 or 2 pounds higher than at the tires-I checked while adjusting air with two different gauges, both agreed. I kept the system on while driving, and the TPMS went up to 37 pounds, all 4 wheels, after a few minutes of 60 mph driving.
WhiteRabbit likes this.
post #10 of 72 Old 05-14-2016, 07:26 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA45
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
since we are on the topic of tires, this is a public service reminding people to rotate their tires, all four are the same size even for the AMG,

The service manual is very vague about this, my advisor said every 5000 miles should do
rayman likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page