LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-11-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA250 4matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking Service B and Brake fluid flush

I just did the Service B on my 2015 GLA250. I also replaced the brake fluid based on the mileage. The brake bleeder kit I used made it a pretty simple one-person job. Pretty excited about the money I saved doing this myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Congrats. These really are quite simple to maintain ... once you've done it once.

FWIW, I take pictures of the process and the odometer to put in the car's book (along with receipts) as a record of maintenance and running costs.
Dax Middlebrooks likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Congrats. These really are quite simple to maintain ... once you've done it once.

FWIW, I take pictures of the process and the odometer to put in the car's book (along with receipts) as a record of maintenance and running costs.
Great idea to take pics. I have the receipts, but will start adding pics as well.

post #4 of 17 Old 12-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 White GLA250 4Matic well equipped $45K MSRP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to WeGla250 Send a message via MSN to WeGla250 Send a message via Yahoo to WeGla250
I need some thoughts on the brake fluid flush requirement. Is the two year brake fluid flush required due to elapsed time or miles travelled. If a car is only driven 7K miles in two years (instead of more typical 20K miles) is it necessary to flush the brake fluid fluid every two years?
On the other hand, if a car is driven 20K miles a year, should the owner wait two years to perform the brake fluid flush? Considering the hygroscopic property of brake fluid, I have always flushed at two years even though the brake fluid had only been used for 7K miles. Am I wasting brake fluid? What are your thoughts on the subject?
post #5 of 17 Old 12-11-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My take is that fluid is cheap. Calipers are expensive. I’d rather waste a little fluid to avoid the risk of a caliper seizing up.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

You can buy a % water meter. There are tables indicating boiling points vs % water for various fluids.

If you race you will want to flush the fluid more frequently. Heating the fluid increase the air pushed out of (during heating) and pulled into (during cooling) the system. This adds moisture. Additionally, racing heats to an extreme, and you really don't want to boil the fluid.

Two years is pretty much the max whether driving or not. Moisture not only creates lower boiling points, but can cause corrosion.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA45 AMG 24k miles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
You can buy a % water meter. There are tables indicating boiling points vs % water for various fluids.

If you race you will want to flush the fluid more frequently. Heating the fluid increase the air pushed out of (during heating) and pulled into (during cooling) the system. This adds moisture. Additionally, racing heats to an extreme, and you really don't want to boil the fluid.

Two years is pretty much the max whether driving or not. Moisture not only creates lower boiling points, but can cause corrosion.

Racing aside, most people out on the road do not replace at 2yr interval, at least here in the US. Brake fluid likely will not give you any indication of a problem, especially if you do not drive the car much. I am a recent culprit of lack of fluid change on a vehicle not often used. My main concern is corrosion, as Wayne mentioned above, need to be better about this. But realistically, a GLA250, can we do this every 3 yrs. I'd say probably fine, if your system has been closed, and you generally maintain the car, another 12 months likely not a big deal, probably doing better than 85% of the rest of the cars on the road.

heavily modified 1995 Ford Bronco. SOLD to friend, to move to GLA 45.
Fun car for wife and I, 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, #492 of 1266 made. 2.0T with 290HP/325 lb/ft.
Wife's DD is a 2019 Volvo XC40 Rtype.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-12-2018, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Brake fluid never used to be flushed. And every time a car came in for a brake job I needed to hone the cylinders (drum) or rebuild the pistons (disc).

Using my tool I find a water increase of about 1% per year. It is generally considered that 2% is about as high as you want to get. So two years is a good target in general.

But I agree that most would never know or see a difference going three or even four years.

Then again if you have a warranty issue it would be best to stay current.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-30-2018, 08:51 AM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA 250 AWD and FWD (yes, 2)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I have a good friend with whom I agree on most everything when it comers to proper vehicle maintenance, except this discussion. He never changes his brake fluid (which as you cite Wayne was the historical norm). He has had more caliper piston rebuild needs than have I.

I go with every 2-3 years. And as you have empirically shown brake fluid is indeed hydroscopic and therefore changing should be based on time and not mileage.

Quote:
Brake fluid never used to be flushed. And every time a car came in for a brake job I needed to hone the cylinders (drum) or rebuild the pistons (disc).

Using my tool I find a water increase of about 1% per year. It is generally considered that 2% is about as high as you want to get. So two years is a good target in general.

But I agree that most would never know or see a difference going three or even four years.

Then again if you have a warranty issue it would be best to stay current.

2018 GLA 250 AWD in MA and FWD in FL
post #10 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax Middlebrooks View Post
I just did the Service B on my 2015 GLA250. I also replaced the brake fluid based on the mileage. The brake bleeder kit I used made it a pretty simple one-person job. Pretty excited about the money I saved doing this myself.
What is the brake bleeder kit you used? What brake fluid did you use?

Thanks!

User Tag List