LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: GLA 250 4matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel Economy Tips

Hi there everyone. I recently became the owner of a '16 GLA 250 4matic! I love it a lot. However, I've been facing one issue that I did not expect to see and that is severely subpar MPG. Since receiving the vehicle, I have only been averaging around 18 MPG. (I was originally getting 17 but I switched the engine setting in the profile to Eco to see how much it would change).

Do you have any tips to improve the economy? Any help would be appreciated!

(For information's sake, I run the A/C as it is very hot where I live. I generally keep my revs under 3k just due to my driving style.)

**edit: forgot to mention that ECO Stop/Start isn't working but it can't amount for too much can it?

Last edited by Shaurya Mathur; 08-20-2019 at 08:20 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2019, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Welcome to the GLA forum. What kind of driving do you do? That kind of MPG is not unheard of in frequent gridlock-like commuter traffic. The 4WD versions do have slightly lower gas mileage than the 2WD models. When my Eco Start/Stop is working regularly (it is finicky) I've noticed perhaps 1-2 MPG better performance. And just to verify, you are running high octane fuel, correct? Do you have access to previous maintenance records to know if the required scheduled maintenance was accomplished? 2016 models are coming up on the second Schedule B service which IIRC includes new plugs and other tune-up-like work. Depending on your mileage you might already be there. What tires are installed, OEM Continental runflat tires? Just a few things to consider, hopefully other members will add some thoughts.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2019, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
If you have 5 mile trips 18 is about right as the ECU runs rich to heat up the cats.

50 mile trips should net you mid 20s.

500 miles trips will get you around 30.

Tire pressure can make a big difference as well as keeping the car in good tune. Low pressure in tires creates more flex with each revolution and requires more energy to move the car.

Feel your brake discs after a freeway runwith a coast to stop after some miles of you have an uphill off ramp. If they are hot your pads may be dragging.

Keep in touch with anything you find.
gbarringer likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-22-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: GLA 250 4matic
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
If you have 5 mile trips 18 is about right as the ECU runs rich to heat up the cats.

50 mile trips should net you mid 20s.

500 miles trips will get you around 30.

Tire pressure can make a big difference as well as keeping the car in good tune. Low pressure in tires creates more flex with each revolution and requires more energy to move the car.

Feel your brake discs after a freeway runwith a coast to stop after some miles of you have an uphill off ramp. If they are hot your pads may be dragging.

Keep in touch with anything you find.
I drive about 20 miles one way with a touch of highway driving but mostly city. Recently got my tires filled but will definitely check my brakes and keep you posted! I had never heard of that, very interesting idea. Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolink View Post
Welcome to the GLA forum. What kind of driving do you do? That kind of MPG is not unheard of in frequent gridlock-like commuter traffic. The 4WD versions do have slightly lower gas mileage than the 2WD models. When my Eco Start/Stop is working regularly (it is finicky) I've noticed perhaps 1-2 MPG better performance. And just to verify, you are running high octane fuel, correct? Do you have access to previous maintenance records to know if the required scheduled maintenance was accomplished? 2016 models are coming up on the second Schedule B service which IIRC includes new plugs and other tune-up-like work. Depending on your mileage you might already be there. What tires are installed, OEM Continental runflat tires? Just a few things to consider, hopefully other members will add some thoughts.
My car is ~60k miles, but I will check to make sure when Maintenance B is. I do not have access to the maintanence records unfortunately but I can check with who I purchased from to see if I got it from. I am running on high octane fuel (93 where I live). To my understanding, I have the OEM Continentals but I am not 100% sure. Will check and update. Thanks so much!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-22-2019, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
60K is high for a 2016, but hopefully the previous owner kept the service up to date. You are at a third B service by mileage.

If your GLA was serviced by a Mercedes dealer, there will be a record of each event in their computer network, available to any dealer. It's a good idea to let a MB dealer do at least one service if you didn't purchase as a certified pre-owned so they can plug in for any software or firmware updates, check on the recall of the steering wheel airbag grounding, and any other service updates that might not have been done if your GLA maintenance was outside the network.

My GLA sits idle about 3 days each week, 90% of my driving is within 10 miles of congested or local driving. A long trip is around the island, about two-three hours with limited freeway speeds. I average about 26 MPG (2WD 250). A few short hops however, that drops down to about 24 MPG.

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2019, 09:44 PM

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA 4Matic
I agree w/Turbolink - mine only has 30K, same model, so that is very high mileage. Mine was CPO so, I have all the records of what happened before me - and pre-paid for MB maintenance.
I average about 25 mpg in the city - mostly stop/go traffic! The ECO Start/Stop - kicks in ALL THE TIME! The MB dealer told me that only happens when the car senses conditions are PERFECT. Long story/short, if there is anything wrong, the ECO does not shut the car off, so I have learned it's a BIG CLUE to take it in for service.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page