7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission mapping

I don't know if others have noticed this, but I find very little difference on transmission shift point between comfort and and sport mode. I find this annoying because it is always in too high a gear around town and lugging. I wish it would hold lower gears longer and not go to as high a gear at lower speeds. I get that 1st is an off the line gear but 3rd and 4th would be nice around town.

There is hope though and that's were you all come in. I was at the dealer yesterday and I asked the writer about this. He said, yes that's how they are and there is no way to change it. But, he said Mercedes listens to their customers and if enough people complain they could possibly do a software update to change this.

So, if any of you are annoyed by driving around at 1500 rpm in town, let the dealers know and maybe we could get an update.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Does the sport mode shift point depend on how you drive? Does it shift later in the RPM range if you really push it?

Here's why I ask. My Porsche has a Tiptronic. If I drive it easy, it shifts at relatively low RPMs. But if I really get on it, it very quickly "learns" or remaps the shift point. For example, if I drive it easy from a stop light, shift point is generally 2000 RPM, but if I floor it from a stop, shift point is 6800 RPM. If I drive it hard from 1 to 3, then back off it will hold around 3500 RPM, then when it senses I'm done finally shift into 4. It will keep that high shift point through several lights until it re-maps back to low RPM shifts.

Maybe try hammering in sport mode to see.

'15 GLA250 4Matic, white, sport package, xenons, panoramic sun roof, walnut dash, beige MB tex with heat, premium package, rear camera
'13 GLK350 4Matic (wife's),
'01 Porsche Boxster S,
1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan. Frame off restoration - all work done by me.
post #3 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
if you HAMMER it, it will hold the revs. Quick shifting in either mode is a function of fuel economy regulations, always on the hunt for lower revs...

post #4 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
If the engine is still 'cold,' the Sport mode will fight against you. It is a protection from holding high rpm's for a longer period while cold.

The Sport mode also is a learning setting. It will eventually cater to your driving style.

If you aren't satisfied with the shift points, I suggest using manual mode. That's pretty much all I use after the engine warms.

Rebellion tuning in the UK has a TCU tune for the CLA250/GLA250 platform as well.

First gear is terrible, I will definitely agree there

Forum Moderator
2015 GLA250 4Matic Base 'Night Black' w/illuminated star
HarmonKardon Sound
HG Motorsports Intake
HG Motorsports Motor Mount
Carlssön C-Tronic
Forge BOV spacer
Mercedes CLA250 Cross-drilled Rotors
Muffler-Delete Exhaust
Advanti 19x8.5 Flow-Formed wheels,245/45
JP Carbon CF Mirrors
Mercedes roof rack

2015 GLA250 4Matic (Wife's)
'MTN Grey' w/LED DRL's
2007 SLK55 //AMG Black/ R171 Eurocharged tune/x-pipe delete/Secondaries-delete/19's/Spyder headlights
post #5 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yup, that's the problem with cold engines, have to make sure it's warmed up enough, then put it through it's paces
Boris_Balkan likes this.
post #6 of 36 Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cics View Post
Yup, that's the problem with cold engines, have to make sure it's warmed up enough, then put it through it's paces

And the one annoying caveat to it all is that the GLA can take awhile to warm up on these really cold days.

To the OP, you'll enjoy Sport mode once you get a chance to try it out when the car is warmed up, it's not too bad. I enjoy using the paddles more, but it is a useful setting when you don't want to work them.

I'll probably be the guinea pig for the TCU tuning, so keep checking in here!

Forum Moderator
2015 GLA250 4Matic Base 'Night Black' w/illuminated star
HarmonKardon Sound
HG Motorsports Intake
HG Motorsports Motor Mount
Carlssön C-Tronic
Forge BOV spacer
Mercedes CLA250 Cross-drilled Rotors
Muffler-Delete Exhaust
Advanti 19x8.5 Flow-Formed wheels,245/45
JP Carbon CF Mirrors
Mercedes roof rack

2015 GLA250 4Matic (Wife's)
'MTN Grey' w/LED DRL's
2007 SLK55 //AMG Black/ R171 Eurocharged tune/x-pipe delete/Secondaries-delete/19's/Spyder headlights
post #7 of 36 Old 03-20-2015, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have the TMC Autoflash TCU tune on order, along with their ECU piggyback. The Autoflash is 399 GBP + shipping, but they gave me both for $1048 shipped. Will install both after engine break-in and report back - I took advantage of the strong USD instead of waiting a month or two.

A few CLA owners seem to be really thrilled with this combo. Looking forward to it!

2015 GLA250 4Matic
Cirrus White / Black MBTex / Sport / Premium / Moonroof / Bi-Xenon / Aluminium Trim
Mods: DTE Pedal Box / TMC AutoFlash / RaceChip Ultimate / Gloss Black Mirror Caps / Stainless Door Pins / Custom audio
post #8 of 36 Old 03-20-2015, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I have found that the sport mode really wakes up the GLA. The normal mode isn't too bad and at times surprises me. I'm not a paddle shifter guy, but will try them more when the weather warms up and I can get out on the curvy back roads.
post #9 of 36 Old 03-20-2015, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtheunknown View Post
I have found that the sport mode really wakes up the GLA. The normal mode isn't too bad and at times surprises me. I'm not a paddle shifter guy, but will try them more when the weather warms up and I can get out on the curvy back roads.
How is it on the low end? Is it far more responsive?
post #10 of 36 Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Just for clarity, the TCU mapping issue noted in this thread is specific to the GLA250? I am curious what those with the GLA45 think of the tranny mapping as delivered??

2015 GLA45 delivered April 10, 2015
South Seas Blue Metallic with Crystal Grey Leather Interior
AMG Sport Seats and Steering Wheel
19" AMG Wheels
AMG Performance Exhaust
Lots of 'Bells and Whistles'
Keyless Go
BSA

Last edited by SSBGLA45; 03-21-2015 at 09:49 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page