Sport handling mode? - Mercedes GLA Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
caug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: MA
Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sport handling mode?

Hello,
Do anyone know what exactly this button do?
its located to the left of hazards button red triangle.
when pressed sport in orange shows up and sport handling mode sign in white.
i noticed a little longer gears switches when driving in C.
Really just want to know actual purpose of this silliness.
THanks,
C

2015 GLA 45 DESIGNO MOUNTAIN GREY MATTE, 19"OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL, AMS AIR INTAKE,AMS TITANIUM STRUT BAR, GIRO ROTORS, BRONDEX 200 cel DOWN PIPE, AMR PERFORMANCE STG2
caug is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Level 1 traction control off. Level 2 is if you hold the button down for 3 seconds. level three is dyno mode. If you just set Level 2, you still can't dyno reliably, ask me how I know.

stage 1 I believe softens ESP but not eliminate. reduces torque less when it senses instability and generally (I believe, check me) increases torque at the rear wheels. It is also needed to enable race start.

stage 2 should turn off ESP entirely. I know for a fact this does not leave the car in AWD-only.

In either case, pressing the brake re-enables all ESP functions while the brake is depressed. Even in SPORT mode.

---------------------

There may be follow-on effects to the ABS and BAS systems as well. Generally speaking, the systems it does or may affect are: ABS, BAS, torque vector, and ESP.
Whiterabbitt is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
caug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: MA
Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
THanks!
Is level1 is also stage 1 in your reply?
also, to get to dyno mode is totally different way i know.
How do you do level 3 the dyno mode your way?
THanks,C

2015 GLA 45 DESIGNO MOUNTAIN GREY MATTE, 19"OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL, AMS AIR INTAKE,AMS TITANIUM STRUT BAR, GIRO ROTORS, BRONDEX 200 cel DOWN PIPE, AMR PERFORMANCE STG2
caug is online now  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I used stage and level interchangeably, I probably shouldn’t have done that.

You can find instructions on how to get to dyno mode on youtube. I can’t remember the sequence. It’s one button on each side of the steering wheel though, and the timing is really tight. So keep at it until you get to the menu.

I have never driven on dyno mode.

I have never driven in level 2 ESP-off either. I’ve only just learned about it.

I have heard, though I wouldn’t know, that Mercedes ESP is the only ESP worth a darn when driving “spiritedly”, that it can actually keep you out of trouble, rather than the typical traction control systems for other manufacturers designed for normal driving conditions.

I found one online document that states Mercedes actually recommends sport mode for driving in snow. I also don’t know if that recommendation is really true.

Anyways, until I get more experience and training on a track, I personally am satisfied to simply use sport mode.


More details on all this are available via google search
Whiterabbitt is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
caug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: MA
Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I got the dyno mode under control.
all i care is about the function of that button to the left of red triangle.
C

2015 GLA 45 DESIGNO MOUNTAIN GREY MATTE, 19"OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL, AMS AIR INTAKE,AMS TITANIUM STRUT BAR, GIRO ROTORS, BRONDEX 200 cel DOWN PIPE, AMR PERFORMANCE STG2
caug is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
https://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/13/...ttest-hatches/

Text search ESP

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/what-is...mercedes-benz/

ESP overview

Harder to find specific links between esp and abs etc when deactivated. Looks like all systems reengage when you hit the brakes tho
Whiterabbitt is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
David Jean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Québec, Canada
Car Year & Model: 2015 CLA45 AMG !
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Sport Handling only allow a bit of slipping and a bit of drifting.

Doesn't give more power to the rear wheel or anything like that. It only change it when Race Start is activated.

Campagna T-Rex 14R 2011
Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015
David Jean is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: West Coast
Car Year & Model: 2015 GLA 45 AMG
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
I used stage and level interchangeably, I probably shouldn’t have done that.

You can find instructions on how to get to dyno mode on youtube. I can’t remember the sequence. It’s one button on each side of the steering wheel though, and the timing is really tight. So keep at it until you get to the menu.

I have never driven on dyno mode.

I have never driven in level 2 ESP-off either. I’ve only just learned about it.

I have heard, though I wouldn’t know, that Mercedes ESP is the only ESP worth a darn when driving “spiritedly”, that it can actually keep you out of trouble, rather than the typical traction control systems for other manufacturers designed for normal driving conditions.

I found one online document that states Mercedes actually recommends sport mode for driving in snow. I also don’t know if that recommendation is really true.

Anyways, until I get more experience and training on a track, I personally am satisfied to simply use sport mode.


More details on all this are available via google search

Snow or any other slippery surface where you want max traction should be ESP OFF & Manual Mode. This doesn't actually affect the 4-wheel drive system. It shuts off all the digital trickery because MB gets it's traction by braking certain wheels under certain conditions. In snow, for example, we want all the wheels spinning equally all the times if it had a locking differential.

SPORT is a MUST for any type of track or canyon driving. I have tested it in the mountains, and I can tell you that driving fast with ESP in regular mode is a BAD PLAN.

Personally I find the MB set up a little counter intuitive. To me ESP full on should be the safest, most nannies, can't ever get into trouble mode. In reality the system can be intrusive to the point of decreasing handling dynamics and safety.
Medtech is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-21-2019, 12:46 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caug View Post
Hello,
Do anyone know what exactly this button do?
its located to the left of hazards button red triangle.
when pressed sport in orange shows up and sport handling mode sign in white.
i noticed a little longer gears switches when driving in C.
Really just want to know actual purpose of this silliness.
THanks,
C
Yep as others have said , sport handling mode is especially great for the following:
a. allows slip of the wheels to allow the car to power slide for a few seconds. it is very gradual in allowing your car to slip out of it's natural cornering axis and then brings it back in line gradually. almost makes you look like a pro driver ! remember with all power slides though to counter steer into the slide and control it with throttle input and dont hit the brakes for a good quality slide
note also that sport handling may affect your steering weight, engine throttle response and holding revs higher so your car turbos are spooled and ready ! (it does on my c63s , cant remember on the gla 45)

b. on the newer 45 models from 2017 at least (the one I used to own) , no need to turn sport handling mode for launch control but if you want a more interesting launch (and faster launch) then press this button ! btw all you needed for launch control was the car to be in sport mode

c. as mentioned , for driving in snow , this does make the drive better as it allows controlled wheel spin , but prevents you spinning your car around.

d. I swapped my gla 45 for a c63s wagon and sport handling mode on that car is a completely different prospect! the 45 I could go around corners and all 4 wheels would spin and it was too easy to do power slides , on the 63 , the rear end slips out a **** of a lot with no effort at all on the gas pedal!
Andy P is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-22-2019, 09:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtech View Post
Snow or any other slippery surface where you want max traction should be ESP OFF & Manual Mode. This doesn't actually affect the 4-wheel drive system. It shuts off all the digital trickery because MB gets it's traction by braking certain wheels under certain conditions. In snow, for example, we want all the wheels spinning equally all the times if it had a locking differential..

The first winter with my gla i had not so great all season tires so i had to turn off esp to get up hills or it would do weird things like bog down and dart this way and that. Going down hill though or at a bit higher speed on hardpack i think having the esp on is a benefit as it may help control a slide right as it starts. Having better winter tires on i didn't have to rely on spinning up the wheels to make progress so turning off esp did not make as much of a difference, although probably still best for traction.

Last edited by elroy; 09-22-2019 at 09:47 AM.
elroy is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome