2015 GLA45 transmission modes - Mercedes GLA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-06-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2015 GLA45 transmission modes

I understand that the GLA45 is basically a front wheel drive car until it determines that it needs traction else where and it will engage the 4wd mode. However, an article I read recently stated that in sports mode it is locked on 50/50 split. Most of the time in normal or spirited driving it probably won't matter much, but I still like to know in the back of my mind to anticipate any kind of change in drive dynamics and enjoy what each mode offers. The documentation doesn't go through it with much details. Do you know if it's true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-06-2019, 02:38 PM

Car Year & Model: 2015GLA45AMG
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
First I'm hearing of this. Curious myself as I always have it in sport.

AzSTMPR

15GLA45 of AMG Goodness!
post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
To my knowledge Sport mode adjusts the throttle mapping, makes the shift points more aggressive, and if you have adjustable suspension it tightens that up. Oh, and the stability management system is set to a higher level before it will interfere.

As far as I know the car always shifts power between front and rear as needed. CAFE is pretty tight and anything they can do to save a gallon of gas. 50% is the most the rear can get.

That being said adjusting power between front and back is amazingly fast and basically seamless so it would take a rare individual to notice it (IMHO of course).

The more noticeable thing is the braking on the inside rear wheel. We were driving on some very back roads in France when we came upon chip seal (loose rocks waiting to have cars embed them into the surface). We were having some fun at the time hitting the curves pretty hard just to see what the car was capable of. Well ... it performed as well (basically) on the chip seal as it did on the stable surface. But you could sense the rear braking adjusting (very subtle and very analog) to help rotate the car.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2019, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
No idea. But I do know that for what is basically a FWD car, it oversteers, not understeers. Good enough for me.

You know. For that almost-never occurrence of not steering exactly where you point the steering wheel.

User Tag List