post #1 of 14 Old 08-01-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2016 GLA 45 Transmission issues continue

Hi All,

I made a previous post about a year ago regarding a transmission issue with my 2016 GLA 45. To recap, this transmission issue happens when I'm traveling on the highway around 80KM/H (50mph) - 100KM/H (60mph). In comfort mode, the gear should be either in 6 or the 7th. The problem occurs when I step on the accelerator to about half way to over take someone. The gear drops, revs up to about 2500rpm - 3000rpm and then a sudden jolt while the transmission disengages and reengages within a second. To make it relatable, it seems like you stalled a car if you are driving a manual. But this time, I heard the tires squeal like a drifting noise which means the problems have been getting worse. I can't duplicate the problem all the time but when it happens it makes your heart skip a beat.

Anyways, I brought in the car to the dealership for the 3rd time for this issue and they just can't seem to find anything wrong with it. Mechanically everything seems to be perfect. The dealer said they'll escalate this issue and have all the transmission data analyzed and see if any anomaly pops up.

My question is, has anyone else run into this problem or am I the one off? Didn't have the greatest of luck with this car from the start but I love it and adore it.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-01-2019, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year & Model: 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
I looked at your original post for reference:

https://www.glaowners.com/forum/merc...-problems.html

Here's a process that has been successful for some of our members when gremlins hit and dealer service could find no issue, resetting the transmission. I don't know if that's the case for you or not, but it could be worth a try:

https://www.glaowners.com/forum/engi...el-travel.html

2016 GLA250 FWD
Cirrus White, Brown Leather Upholstery, Burl Walnut Trim
Interior, Premium, Driver Assistance, Sport Packages
Rearview Camera, Power Passenger Seat With Memory
Bi-Xenon Headlights, LED Taillights
post #3 of 14 Old 08-01-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey Turbolink,

Unfortunately that method did not work The dealership tried to reset the transmission "computer" but it didn't seem to have fixed the issue. But then again, they might not have done it so I will test it out when I receive the car back! Thanks for the tip! I did not know we could do that ourselves. Always thought that was best left for the mechanics.

Cheers

post #4 of 14 Old 08-01-2019, 09:00 AM

Car Year & Model: 2018 GLA200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
sometime it just because of earthing issue. have this on my fiat selespeed. i know it different car make. but who knows it might help

Sent from my vivo 1723 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 Old 08-01-2019, 06:07 PM

Car Year & Model: 2019 45AMG polar white, panda package
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling View Post
then a sudden jolt while the transmission disengages and reengages within a second.
But this time, I heard the tires squeal like a drifting noise which means the problems have been getting worse. I can't duplicate the problem all the time but when it happens it makes your heart skip a beat.

Thanks for reading!
First time I saw a reference to a DCT, I had to educate myself of this neato sounding Idea

This is the first car I've owned by choice without a full set of pedals, so take this with a grain of salt

OP's description made me think that both clutches are engaging at the same time. That would lock the output shaft

how, why, etc ...... No clue
post #6 of 14 Old 08-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I experienced something similar. For me it felt like the manual transmission days when you pop the clutch during acceleration. Mine eventually went to transmission safe mode, and had to restart the car to reset. It was a faulty crank sensor and the dealer found error code from the sensor.

I had a thread open when I first had the issue. Hope it helps.

https://www.glaowners.com/forum/merc...rev-range.html
post #7 of 14 Old 08-05-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey sheaa,

That does sound similar to my experience although your seems to be worse than my situation. I have been in contact with the dealer and so far they have yet to find any codes or errors. It's been escalated to the regional service manager to diagnose or try to find what is causing the problem.

To give an update to what's happened so far, to no surprise the dealer couldn't recreate the issue. It's such a uncommon issue that I don't blame them. But what I do find infuriating is their way of "remedying" this issue. I have been given really weird remedies that they say would help but when I confront them about it, they try to avoid answering my question.

I just want to know what's wrong with the car and how it can be fixed I just want to drive it and enjoy it without having to worry about any issues
post #8 of 14 Old 08-05-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaa View Post
I experienced something similar. For me it felt like the manual transmission days when you pop the clutch during acceleration. Mine eventually went to transmission safe mode, and had to restart the car to reset. It was a faulty crank sensor and the dealer found error code from the sensor.

I had a thread open when I first had the issue. Hope it helps.

https://www.glaowners.com/forum/merc...rev-range.html
Hey sheaa,

Just read your forum. Should have read the entire thing before I answered haha woops

When you say your experienced a jolt like a transmission slip, that's exactly what I felt. Oddly enough, it only happens to me once and doesn't even go into limp mode or anything, just carries on normally. Maybe I just don't drive it hard enough for it to go into limp mode . But I'm glad that someone else has experienced this issue and I will try to bring it up to the dealership if they really can't find anything.

Thanks for replying!

Cheers
post #9 of 14 Old 08-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Car Year & Model: 2019 GLA250
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
If MB is like a VW I had the car tries to be prepared for the next shift based on how you are driving. If if see you are slowing down it will get the next lower gear read to kick in so the shift will be smooth. If you are slowing down and it is reads to shift to the lower gear and then you hit the gas then as it is down shifting it moves back to the higher gear that could possible be what happened. The trans is a standard trans and not an auto that has bands and so forth. The odd gears on one shaft and even gears on a second shaft there are two clutches one for each shaft. Just what I saw with the VW I had and MB might work the same way.

2019 GLA250 Black/Black replaced 2016 GLA250 Black/Black
Second car 2007 SLK350 Black/Black
post #10 of 14 Old 08-05-2019, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarringer View Post
If MB is like a VW I had the car tries to be prepared for the next shift based on how you are driving. If if see you are slowing down it will get the next lower gear read to kick in so the shift will be smooth. If you are slowing down and it is reads to shift to the lower gear and then you hit the gas then as it is down shifting it moves back to the higher gear that could possible be what happened. The trans is a standard trans and not an auto that has bands and so forth. The odd gears on one shaft and even gears on a second shaft there are two clutches one for each shaft. Just what I saw with the VW I had and MB might work the same way.
Good points. On my Porsche 997.2 with PDK I can fool the car and the transmission acts very poorly. But that is my fault.

The DCT (or PDK in the Porsche world) is not an automatic transmission and thought is required on how you are driving.

User Tag List